Is fingerlakes CC in NY taxidermy education worth it

Submitted by Dan on 1/5/05 at 5:03 PM. ( danbond008@localnet.com ) 64.179.15.223

I wondered if anyone has gone to or know about these classes. I thought about taking the bird and fish classes (the areas I have little experience in. Or would it be better to focus on tapes, state shows and work shops like I did with mammals and game heads. It seems like practice teaches you some good lessons. The classes are at Finger lakes Community College in Cannandagua NY. I was hoping to hear some opinions. Thanks Dan

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I would try it

This response submitted by Joe on 1/5/05 at 5:18 PM. ( mt_fuji@hotmail.com ) 207.224.10.213

Dan,
I'm sure the tuition is way less than having one on one with an experienced taxidermist. I would recommend learning the basics and then graduate to the next level. In my mind it would be polishing up the techniques you have learned with an "expert".
Community College would be a great place to start. Good luck.
Word!

Who are the teachers Dan?

This response submitted by tomdes on 1/5/05 at 6:15 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 24.58.211.158

I wonder what their credentials are.. That's a great way to learn taxidermy, I wish they would have offered when I went to college. The big benefit of an accredited school of course is the financing and scholarships that are available to you. Go for it let us know how you made out..

Suggestion-

This response submitted by Junipera on 1/5/05 at 6:55 PM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

you can get the name of the instructor and visit their shop, look at the mounts and talk.

Look into it more

This response submitted by Randy L. on 1/5/05 at 9:42 PM. ( ) 69.40.150.21

My sister and her boyfriend both attended Finger Lakes Community College in Canandaigua last year (for business, not taxidermy). Both of them saw the mounts that students completed and said they were absolute crap. (Not that that's necessarily due to the instructors). Give the school a visit and find out some more information before you invest in it.

well, its in my neck of the woods, but...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/6/05 at 10:53 PM. ( ) 67.138.13.78

I dont know anyone who attends this college for that class, rather, they attend for criminal justice, etc etc, and use the taxidermy as an elective. Im not sure who instructs the class anymore. Ive never heard any negative about it, either.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu