Whats up with the World Show ?

Submitted by Warren Pageolia on 1/24/05 at 3:41 PM. ( ) 207.241.134.229

I just got the seminar list off this site and short of the Super seminar it really seems to be lacking in the learning department. Hell I could see the other seminars at a NTA , state show or regional. How about something that people have trouble with instead of lameass seminars about ducks and which tannery to send your stuff to which is "surprise" given by the tannery owners. It appears that all the big name persons are judging and not teaching with perhaps the exception of Joe Meder. And what is George ghoing to "moderate" are they debating or mounting ?.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Did someone piss in your Post Toasties today, Warren?

This response submitted by George on 1/24/05 at 4:57 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.132

Then pour it out and start over. Geez. These "lameass" seminars that you can see "anywhere" just happen to be YOUR opinion. How many times do we see the beginners begging for someone to help them. I don't recall seeing you volunteering any information before. Because YOU happen to know it all certainly isn't the case industry wide. And you obviously aren't like me and many others who watch others doing the same job I think I'm proficient in just to see if there are any new/different/better methods than I'm using.

As for George, he's MODERATING, as in providing numbnuts like you a voice to ask the artisans specific questions. It keeps everyone else from trying to shout over others and it insures that if you DO have germaine questions, they can be asked and answered so EVERYONE can see and hear them. The great thing about being a "moderator", I'll refer even the most dumbassed questions you might have to the taxidermists and then the AUDIENCE can let you know how dumb you are instead of me telling you like I do on here.

So untie that knot in your jock, take a deep breath, and join us in Springfield. We're ALL going to have a great time.

classic george

This response submitted by mark on 1/24/05 at 5:40 PM. ( ) 66.255.208.24

I love it.

Since when are ducks

This response submitted by jon on 1/24/05 at 5:54 PM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxidermy ) 68.184.178.161

lameass? They have put food on my table now for many years, and I can tell ya this.. There are A LOT more people out there that need help with them than people who dont.

I haven't mounted a game head in my life (nor do I plan too) but I bet ya I'll find my way to a seminar pertaining to one. Why? Because many of the same tips and techiniques can be use across the board as far as taxi work goes.

Jon

There is a difference between the Worlds and the NTA

This response submitted by The Taxidermologist on 1/24/05 at 6:15 PM. ( ) 24.3.179.164

While I respect both organizations, the World show has been the premier competition since the mid-1980's (though I have never been to one yet). In an off year, the NTA Annual meetings probably has 50% more people attend because there isn't a World Competition.

The number of suppliers is probably twice that of the NTA, the press coverage triple the NTA, but the seminars are no different - except for those given by non-North American taxidermists. The various state shows are a microcosm of the NTA - having perhaps 1/2 the suppliers (for a big state), half the competition pieces, and perhaps only 1/3 as many seminars.

All this makes sense to me. The State show is the cheapest to attend because it is local, the NTA probably second because it is subsidized by the NTA itself, and the World show most expensive (unless you live close-by and can commute.

Personally, my feeling is that once a person has made the big-time, there time is better spent judging if they are a good judge. Every "world famous taxidermist" has to phase into that level as far as competition and giving Seminars, but once they are universally famous, damn near eveyone has already seen their seminar at a state level or NTA, so why bother giving the same seminar at the World Competition.

The World Show, in my opinion, should have a mixture of totally novel seminars not seen at the NTA or State shows. For instance, a seminar on mounting protected songbirds. There are lots of forum questions on that subject and a good seminarian could do a lot to inform, assuming an article appeared in Braekthrough with the scoop. Perhaps a more detailed seminar on Bugroom operation, or on articulation a skeleton with demonstration. I like the idea of the Bronze seminar but it might have been better to get Toby Hart or Aaron Connely who have lots more experience in the area - both are world class taxidermists and artists.

I'm sure if we opened up the comments as to what seminars would be wanted, the education level might be more to your suiting.

I think George should be good as a moderator. If I was one of the three taxidermists charged with producing an entire habitat filled diorama group, I would want to say anything to the "tourists" because there is much work to do. How many of you taxidermists would love to just do taxidermy and NOT deal with the public asking stupid questions. That is of course my opinion, but I think George will be great in the role.

and George is

This response submitted by Sherrie on 1/24/05 at 7:30 PM. ( ) 209.142.136.97

just so much nicer in person, than all of his posts sound!
I thought he was an absolute sweetheart! : ) and his wife, too!
Good lordy George! How DOES she put up with you! haha

Looks good to me

This response submitted by Elmer on 1/24/05 at 8:07 PM. ( Tops ) 64.12.116.134

There seems to be some pretty good ones on the schedule to me. at least ones I would like to see. would like to see Mike Orthober paint a fish though. But Gary and Jeff are good to go on that. This is like any show you pick and choose what you want to get into. There are a lot of duck and bird people there along with fish and gameheads.

Some people

This response submitted by Jan George on 1/24/05 at 11:19 PM. ( turkeylady@jangeorge.com ) 68.58.152.160

judge better than they teach and some people teach better than they judge. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people who know how to get their point across and can teach you some new techniques. Open your mind.

I will say this

This response submitted by DaveT on 1/25/05 at 7:03 AM. ( ) 66.205.116.97

Due to some unforeseen circumstances I will probably not be attending the World show this year. The thought of missing it makes me sick as I really enjoy everything from set-up, helping with photography, tear down, wind-down, etc... The people you meet their, well there some of the greatest. The past two shows have been great and the friends I have made there I wouldn't trade for anything. Larry and company put on something special each year and I feel grateful and privileged that I have been able to attend every two years.

Of course there are always those folks who will never be happy and miss the "real" show... too bad for them.

DaveT

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu