Stinky gun safe!

Submitted by Drew on 1/5/05 at 9:56 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.226

Hey guys, I bought a Stack-On brand gun safe a week and a half ago. It was brand new and wrapped in plastic and cardboard. I moved it into my house (fun task by myself) and when i unwrapped it, I could smell some sort of chemical. When i opened it up, it knocked my socks off. There is a VERY strong chemical smell coming from the safe. I emailed the company and asked them what the deal was. They told me that it was probably wrapped and shipped before the glue was dry that was used to hold in the carpet liner.

They told me to let it air out for a few days. I was not convinced but decided to give it a try. I opened it up and put a fan on it. when i came home from work, I could smell it when I opened the door.

So I emailed them back and they told me that although rare, they have heard of this smell before, and basically told me I was too sensitive! I went out of town for 5 days and just got back. First thing I did was open the safe and it about floored me! Not sure what kind of glue they used, but this is awful. The paperwork that came in the safe even smells.

I called the place I bought it and they were stumped but half heartedly agreed to take it back and swap it. I am going to call them tomorrow to confirm. Not real convinced they will follow through, but I am stuck.

Just as a warning, if you are in the market for a safe, better smell it first and think twice about buying a Stack-On. Although it is not a firesafe, mine was still $400 and I expected something secure and smell free! Best part is I get to move a safe in and out of my house twice!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Obviously

This response submitted by cur on 1/5/05 at 10:15 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.100

You have the floor model gun safe #ABC1744533-A, which is insulated with carp scales from central China. Due to high production orders, some safes were filled with scales from which the connective membranes were not detached.

Take it back. Merchant has to refund unless it was on sale, providing you have not damaged the goods. If you bought it on a credit card, chances are the issuer will defend your rights.......Or you could shoot a cat and drop the carcass into a waste basket next to the safe. In a few days the safe odor won't be noticed.

Stack-on

This response submitted by Mr. T on 1/5/05 at 10:20 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.233

I have one with no smell, I think they are a good product for being on the lower end of the gun protection products. Just buy one that has the glue completly dried inside.

LOL Gotta ask

This response submitted by George on 1/6/05 at 7:58 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.135

Did you think of airing it out, OUTSIDE? I mean, your guns had to be stored someplace before you got the cabinet, so why didn't you take the cabinet outside in the sun and open the doors for a day?

This looks like

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/6/05 at 9:29 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

A good place for a stick up ! Or ten , or twelve ! LOL
Bradlee

George

This response submitted by Drew on 1/6/05 at 10:36 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.138

George, I couldn't take it outside because I live in an apartment and can't just put it out on my patio, and cannot get it down the stairs by myself to drag it to my garage. And no, none of my friends were around since it is the holidays. So...tomorrow it is going back to the store for a new one. My wife is starting to complain about the odor and it was hard enough to convince her to buy it in the first place.

Re. Stinky Gun Safe

This response submitted by Dawn on 1/19/05 at 9:49 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.135

After a sleepless night in the company of a new "stinky" Stack-On, I went online and thankfully found another with the same problem. My husband had this thing delivered last night, and after a couple of hours, I knew something was up! Of course, I already had a bad attitude about the thing, but this just added insult to injury! The smell is ghastly! Hoping I don't have a problem getting the thing out of here. Hubby was given a discount to buy the floor model, but apparently they got more in and shipped him a new "better" packaged one.( Gee, Thanks.) That could be my ace in the hole...he bought the floor model, and that was not what was delivered. ANYWAY, to others considering...BEWARE of the foul smelling Stack-On! BTW, just curious how cur found out about the fish scales?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu