should I tell the customer

Submitted by der hntr on 1/24/05 at 6:45 PM. ( clark534@cox.net ) 68.10.124.77

A question for some of you taxi veterans, I got a fox this year that was shot w/ a muzzel loader, .50 caliber, I felt that I could sew up the hole. Boy was I wrong. Buy the time I had finished the hide had started to turn and had to be trashed. I had a fresh road kill fox, I saw it get hit w/ no damage so I'm subbing this one for the other. So the question is, should I tell the customer or let it ride, and have any of you been in this situation. Thanks for your help and advice.
Bill

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Tell the customer...

This response submitted by marty on 1/24/05 at 6:51 PM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

At least I would. I would explain the same as you did here and you thought you could fix it, but the hole was too big and it was beyond repair. Make it apparent that the damage was the problem and that you didn't hoak it up. Then offer your substitute cape. Your customer may opt to get his/her deposit money back instead of the substitute. Either way, I think your best off being honest. Most customer's I believe would appreciate that honesty vs. doing something deceptive. besides there may be some unique markings and he/she may call you on it. Then you'd really be in a pickle. Just my opinion...

Do they look the same?

This response submitted by cur on 1/24/05 at 6:51 PM. ( ) 4.226.90.141

If they look alike, then no sweat. If there is a noticeable difference, tell the customer his animal was shot (no pun intended) but you replaced the hide at no charge.......and that next time shot them with a smaller weapon....see ya..

Tell them

This response submitted by CapeFear on 1/24/05 at 7:02 PM. ( cftaxidermy.alltel.net ) 162.40.31.201

Honesty is the ONLY policy, if you want a loyal customer base. Where was the hole? Perhaps you could have sold your customer a small game pedestal mount and still used his original hide. There are always other options. My .02. Marc R

NEVER BITE A MARRIED WOMAN ON THE THIGH

This response submitted by Indiana Trapper on 1/24/05 at 7:12 PM. ( ) 63.170.184.201

No matter how thin you slice the ham, you can still break a window with a brick.

This must be an "OLD GUY" thing

This response submitted by George on 1/24/05 at 7:21 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

I'm with Cur. Most people today WANT a reason to be upset, so I avoid giving them one. I recall a guy who once worked for me whose brother owned a pet shop. A guy came in and bought his 3 year old a white baby bunny for Easter. He gave it to the little girl there in the shop and they left. Next day, the guy is back. Seems the bunny had fallen from the little girls bicycle and had dislocated its hip. The guy is upset and for some DUMB reason, brings the bunny to the pet store instead of the vet. My guy's brother tells this guy that such things are common with baby bunnies BUT for the cost of a new bunny, he can make this one good as new. The guy states that he'd surely rather have "his" bunny back than a new one and he's sure his daughter would too. My guys brother takes the money,takes the bunny out back, whacks it across the back of its neck and trashes the carcass. He then reaches down in his bunny box and picks up another white bunny. He presents it to the guy who is estatic at the miracle this pet store owner has performed. He even recognized the whisker pattern as his.

Shame shame shame

This response submitted by One Box on 1/24/05 at 8:39 PM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

The only thing more shameful than not knowing any better and having to ask that question is to give an answer like George's. Sorry George. Yes, you da man, been around, know a lot, but shame on you. Not telling your customer and sneeking in an imposter cape is a pure fraud. You do that with the customer's knowledge and approval only. So what if someone might get mad. Take it like a man. It comes with the territory. Yes the customer might get upset, and maybe even not use your service again. But trick him like that and let him find out and you can bet you'll never see him again, and a few other people that he'll tell. What if you try to trick him and he just knows it's not his animal? Then what? Do you insist and keep lying? I would be steamed if someone did that to me, more so than if I was told they lost the hide. A trophy mount is an investment made in large part due to the sentimental value of the mount. To inject fraud into that equation is very disgraceful.

funny, isnt it, George?

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/24/05 at 9:53 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.170

Guys like you, me, and cur think back on how many times we HAVE given the customer their exact specimen only to have the guy insist it isnt his, so we for sure know how to best handle this one. IF you have the exact same specimen, common sense, along with some lessons in human tendencies, goes a long way. Whether some wanna take it as advice, well, thats more lessons in human tendencies!

BOY !

This response submitted by ALEX on 1/24/05 at 9:54 PM. ( ) 66.32.151.233

No wonder the Catholic churches are empty, with all these wonderful saints running around and not committing sins, who needs priests, LOL

thanks

This response submitted by der hntr on 1/24/05 at 10:14 PM. ( clark534@cox.net ) 68.10.124.77

Thanks for all the advice. I also believe that honesty is the best policy, just was loooking to see how you feel about that matter.
But I must comment on " Box One " responce, this is not a 10, 12 pt. buck, it's a grey fox some guy shot several hours after he shot a nice 10 pt. Then sat down at his computer looking for a taxidermist in his area, found my web site, liked what he saw and called me up. He brought me the buck and the fox.

Indiana Trapper

This response submitted by Jan George on 1/24/05 at 11:12 PM. ( turkeylady@jangeorge.com ) 68.58.152.160

WHAT? Do YOU even know what makes you tick?

If you don't tell him...

This response submitted by Craig on 1/24/05 at 11:35 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

the only problem I can see is you aren't educating him to what he did to the original specimen by blowing a .50 caliber hole in it. By using another fox he will think you are a miracle worker and the next job he brings you might be even worse.

On the other hand, I used to do a lot of heating calls at a local campus and most of the time all the tech had to do is walk into the room, figet with the control(just look like we did something), and we never got another call. It's funny how the power of suggestive thinking works. We were instructed by our superiors we could not raise the temperature over 68 degrees for reasons of energy conservation so there wasn't a whole lot we could really do. But if we explained this to everyone who voiced a complaint it would have become pretty redundant on our part and they would have still been cold.

One Box

This response submitted by George on 1/25/05 at 12:18 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

Ben Franklin said that the only way TWO people could keep a secret was for one of them to be dead. For guys like you, I suppose that's a problem since you want to share your decision. I sleep quite well at night and I never "defrauded" anyone. Like Bill said, the ones who really bother me are the ones who insist the hide ISN'T theirs, with me knowing full well that it IS. I had a guy with a damned Kudu accuse me of that. I asked him just how many damned kudu's he's seen in the woods around Delaware. Give me a break.

Not to make the fur fly, but...

This response submitted by Rich Stanton on 1/25/05 at 2:32 AM. ( ) 170.215.201.51

If you had tanned your fox, this might not have happened... i'm not weighing in on the whole internecine never-ending debate... just saying that since you knew you had a major repair job ahead of you, tanning was the way to go... provided you couldn't sell the client a pedestal mount.

George

This response submitted by One Box on 1/25/05 at 4:51 AM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

One guy compalining that you gave him the wrong cape has nothing to do with defrauding another. It's okay to defraud me because some jacka$$ accused you of giving him the wrong cape? That mentality is like the excuses criminals use... "why be good when everybody always blames me for everthing anyway?" It's good that you get a good nights sleep, but if you do what you say you do, then you ARE defrauding people. Try going back to some of the people you done this to and tell them what you did and ask them if they feel that it was right. My Webster's Dictionary defines fraud as deceit-trickery:cheating. b)something said or done to deceive.

And Alex, yes I am Catholic by the way, but NO, I'm not a saint. Just that every body draws their own line in the sand of morality.

Bill, Like Jan said, what makes you tick? Who's decision is it to determine what personal "value" the mount has? It must have meant enough to the guy if he wanted it mounted. So it's not a 10 pointer, but a skunk mount could mean more to one guy then a 400pt elk could mean to another. The "insignificance" of the critter is not even the issue anyway. It's your integrity and reputation. Cant you hear your mothers voice saying "Now Bill, don't you go lying"? LOL, just seems like a no-brainer to me!

Also George

This response submitted by One Box on 1/25/05 at 5:02 AM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

Did Benjamin Franklin tell you that personally? Hear you went to high school with him. LOL . You're okay George.

save the old one

This response submitted by newbirdman on 1/25/05 at 7:40 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

Save the old skin just in case you have to show it to the customer and then explain that your being nice and not charging him extra for the new one . Rick

I was told by a customer that he wished I wouldn't have told

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/25/05 at 9:24 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.230

him that the cape I replaced his with was not his. (There was a problem but I don't remember what it was) I was being honest and he said he wished I wouldn't have been. You can't win for losing! LOL

uhhh....one box?

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/25/05 at 3:14 PM. ( ) 66.133.133.115

Perhaps you wish to reread the posts. Youre addressing me on stuff I never said. Ive been around this biz long enough to know the difference between lying, defrauding, white lies and doing whats best. Period. For those who are with me, they too know. For those who are not with me, theyll do what they feel is best.

Opinion?

This response submitted by Kim on 1/25/05 at 5:59 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

After reading everything so far.......LMAO

Same thing here Cecil

This response submitted by Al on 1/25/05 at 9:49 PM. ( nyarchery@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

I had a cape go bad on a deer awhile back and called the owner of the mount to say I could replace it if he wanted. He said If I would have just done it he wouldn't have known. But... since I called him with the truth I had ruined his outlook on the mount and he decided not to mount it. He was mad because I told him. Guess what... now they get one that is close in size and color!

Uhh, Bill Yox...

This response submitted by One Box on 1/25/05 at 11:24 PM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was not addressing you in my post. If you look at the bottom of the original posters paragraph you'll see that he signed off as "Bill". He didn't leave a last name. I would have specified which Bill if you had even entered the debate. But since you didn't I just addressed him as Bill. That is who I was addressing. Peace.

Bill Yox

This response submitted by One Box on 1/25/05 at 11:32 PM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

Sorry, you did enter the debate down the line, but still I meant that for the original author.

one box, youre correct

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/26/05 at 3:37 PM. ( ) 66.133.134.220

OK, I see its MY error, not yours. Im always saying to watch how we interpret these posts, and it was ME who was guilty this time. Sorry, I got my Bill's mixed up! Thanks for the clarification.

depends on what it is

This response submitted by birdgirl on 1/26/05 at 9:21 PM. ( ) 204.119.21.80

I once had a mom bring in a kids first fish, while I had it thawing, my husband opened the shop door and a cat ate it.needless to say I sat up all night at the river to catch another 6 inch drum.I mounted it, and it was accepted with joy.With fish and some birds, you can do it, without telling the customer since the specimens are exact, just make sure what you replace is exact.I wouldnt do it with deer without getting consent as every deer I have ever done looked nothing like the one before or after it.I had to replace one cape this year and got the customers consent and extra $ for the trouble.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu