And the Winner is.......

Submitted by cur on 1/6/05 at 1:53 AM. ( ) 4.226.240.100

Elmer Gantry. Glen I am going to keep any quiz to five questions from now on......too much work between checking back and the emails....Gantry gets the print......send me your address and I'll mail it to you.....

Here are the answers....

Mammals:

1. We all know that nearly all mammals have teeth, and that some are born with "milk" teeth, such as those in newborn puppies. Several mammal species lose their milk teeth in the womb, before being born. Name one.
Answer: Example: Shrew (Insectivores - also seals and bats and some rodents)

2. How many species of domestic dog are there?
Answer: Only one, canis familiaris. All are familiar domestic dogs are breeds, not species.

3. Which North American Mammals have the most vertebrae?
Answer: Flipper and friends, the toothed whales (Odontoceti)

4. Chinook Indian robes were named for what mammal and vice versa? Answer: Sewellel, or Aplodontia - The Mountain Beaver.

5. I am a medium sized mammal. My length is around 72 inches, or six feet. I can weigh more than 300 pounds. I have large canine teeth and an attitude to match. My neck fur is dark with light tips. Once I was common and now I am rare, in fact one of the rarest mammals in North America. What am I?
Answer: The Guadalupe Fur Seal from California.

6. I am another mammal. I am a lot larger than the fellow in the previous question. My name starts with the letter Z, although I am nothing like a zebra. Some of our kind have polka dots, and most of the old males have white heads. What am I?
Answer: Cuvier Beaked Whale (Ziphius cavirostris)

7. Which North American mammal would not be at all impressed by "Dolly" the cloned sheep? Why?
Answer: The armadillo. All armadillo always give birth to four offspring which are identical clones of each other in every way. Every armadillo has three identical siblings - usually lying on roadways.

8. If you ran across a sloth in Minnesota, what would you see? Answer: A group of bears. (Sloth)

9. After the blessing, our congregation in Aurora formed a huddle to discuss current events in Washington D.C. A group gathered, got in their autos and drove down to the capital to present their case. Congress, as usual, in all their singular shrewdness and wisdom, greeted the parade from our church. After they found out the nature of our group's business, one by one the legislators began to sneak away. The previous sentence contains the hidden names of many animals. Do you know why? What are at least seven of the animal species represented in that sentence?

Answers: All terms for groups of animals of one kind or another.
Blessing - Unicorns
Congregation - Alligators
Drove - Bison, cattle
Congress - Baboons
Huddle - Hippos
Shrewdness - Apes
Parade - Elephants
Sneak - Weasels
Business - Ferrets
Wisdom - owls
Down - Hares
Singular - Boars
Aurora - Polar Bears
Group - Lots of mammals

10. Again, you are a trapper. You are collecting rodents for the Illinois Natural History Survey Repository. You check trap number 157 and in it there is a strange little mammal. It is brown, has a short tail, but it is somehow different from the voles you are accustomed to seeing. You send off the animal to a noted mammalologist and he responds by telling you a hint, and not the species name. He tells you that the mammal is a male, only five weeks old, but is sexually mature and ready to breed. What is it? Answer:

Southern Bog Lemmings are short tailed like voles and mature in 5 weeks.

Birds:

1. The sentence, "Come forward bashful, see Frank's duck", is composed of words that each begin with a letter that is common to six types of bird feathers. Name them.
Answers: Contour - Flight - Bristle - Semiplume - Filoplume - Down.

2. This question has three parts:
A. Which bird has the most feathers?
B. Which bird has the least feathers?
C. Regardless of the number of feathers on a bird, what percentage is usually on the head?

Answers: A,) Whistling Swan (25,000) B.) Ruby Hummingbird 960 C.) Around 33%

3. We all enjoy seeing the beautiful irridescent colors of some bird species. What causes that effect, and for a tie-breaker, what other life-forms can produce the same effect?
Answers: Refraction and interference of the light spectrum. Insects, mollusks, fishes......especially butterflies.

4. If aluminum comes from bauxite, iron from hematite, and lead from galenite, what do you get from ratite?
Answer: Meat. Ratites are flightless birds.

5. Which grouse is definitely NOT a grouse?
Answer: Sand Grouse from Africa.

6. Name five species of extinct North American Birds...............And, their extant cousins.

Answers:

Ivory Billed Woodpecker - Pileated Woodpecker
Heath Hen - Prairie Chicken
Great Auk - Puffin, Razorbill, Murre (Any Alcid)
Carolina Paraquet - None other native to North America I guess any conurus would do though.
Dusky Seaside sparrow - Most recent extinction in USA....any Ammodramus sparrow will do
Bachman's Warbler - Any Vermivora warbler will do
Labradour duck - Questionable, but any eider will have to do
Passenger Pigeon - Mourning dove would be close

7. What do wood ducks sometimes have in common with the ostrich? Answer: Both the wood duck and the ostrich are community nesters at times. When nesting cavities are scarce hen wood ducks often lay up to thirty eggs in community nests.

8. Which widgeon is widgeon by name only?

Answer: The Chiloe Widgeon of South america. It is actually a Sheldgoose.

9. We all know that the wood duck (Aix sponsa) is perhaps one of the world's most beautiful ducks. A Southern foreign "cousin " of the wood duck is often raised in captivity in the U.S.A. Name it.

Answer: Most folks will probably jump on the Mandarin duck, but the answer I wanted was the Muscovy. Key word - Southern. Mandarins are from Asia, the Muscovy is from South America.

10. Everyone knows that the mockingbird is named because of it's habit of mimicing the sounds of other birds. It's scientific name, Mimus polyglottos, is from the Greek, meaning mimic of many voices, and reflects that trait. Many bird species are named after traits, persons or things, features or colors.

Let's see if you know which bird was named for:

A. The nephew of a famous emperor.
Answer: Bonaparte Gull
B. A famous explorer and brother of a Revolutionary War General.
Answer: Clark's Nutcracker
C. An ancient country and the river which flowed through it on it's way to the Black Sea.
Answer: Ringneck Pheasant - Phasianus colchicus..........Phasis River (Now the Rioni) ran through the ancient land of Colchis.......The bird is named for the river and region East of the Black Sea.....
D. A wild bull.
Answer: The Ruffed Grouse - bonasa umbellus - Bonasa is Greek for raging bull and refers to the drumming of cock birds
E. The wife of one of the mythical Greek Gods.
Answer: The Eurasian Widgeon Anas penelope. Penelope was the wife of Ulysses.

Bonus Question:

In taxidermy many of our materials and equipment are borrowed from other industries. Name the three industries that have provided the most commonly used hand tools. Answers: Ulpolstery, leather making and Denistry (or Medicine)

There you have it......

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

WOW!

This response submitted by John on 1/6/05 at 2:45 AM. ( JAKE2825@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

It defiantly takes more than a 1st grade education to answer those questions.Im from MN and I didn't even know we had sloths running around here. Guess Ill have to look in the ditches a little closer.LOL

Group of boars

This response submitted by Laurie on 1/6/05 at 4:11 AM. ( ) 62.253.248.93

I think that it should be called a "snooze" for a group of boars :-). Thank you for the quiz but I got very few answers right, however, I enjoyed the searching through the internet - found some other good stuff.

Kindest regards

I have question

This response submitted by jon on 1/6/05 at 8:48 AM. ( jonathan@harlequintaxi ) 68.184.178.161

under the birds part of the question below..

I'm perplexed by questions #8

I never knew a Chiloe Wigeon was a sheldgoose. It looks, acts, and is taxinomically grouped with the other two wigeon... Please clarify.

Thanks!
Jon

i iwsh i had more time....

This response submitted by Griz on 1/6/05 at 9:20 AM. ( ) 69.66.86.169

what little time i read through it was fun, but i certainly didn't have time to be much of a competition for the gantry :) He musta had a snow day yesterday :)

Bradlee was the real shinning star, he's got determination!

This response submitted by Elmer Google Gantry on 1/6/05 at 10:54 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.181

Actually mostly were educated? guesses by elimination backed up by google searchs within a search, Ad infinitum..... Bradlee got the HARD ones, while he was weeding them out, I got to play with the ones he missed, Griz got Cur hinting about which direction the pinnipeds, and cetaceans were, I stumbled accidently into a website while looking for sloth....that dealt with the names of groups of animals hence the sloth of bears, meaning a group....I was thinking fossil sloth too, I have sloth fossils in the museum, but was inclined towards Florida, not Minnesota.... the hardest was the lemming and reading about Greek Gods spouses. Until yesterday I had never heard of it (bog lemming) there is also a northern one nor knew we had them down states...Rodentia are the largest group of mammals, and Curs gently leading to Illinois led me to an online book of Mammals of Illinois there was the category of voles and in it was the sole lemming. I have eurasian widgeon in the museum so I see penelope every day, its part of the spiel I do with with my educational tours with school kids in wildlife identification.. I read alot more Greek mythology yesterday because I wanted to, than I ever did way back in the 60's when Mr. G went to school because I had to then,... Ulysses- Odysseus being the same wandering guy, or will ever want to again!..it didn't snow it rained here all day but we are in our slow season.... so we only open the museums up on the weekends from Dec. until March so Mr. Gantry has alot of free time during the week.
Mr. Gantry's tip of the day don't search for "5 week male sexual maturity" on Google!
I learned more animal knowledge yesterday, than I have in a long time, if I can only retain some of it, thanks to Bradlee, Grizz, and Cur

Jon

This response submitted by cur on 1/6/05 at 11:17 AM. ( ) 4.227.99.156

Scratch that one up to an old man's loss of memory......The Chiloe Wigeon is an Anas tribe member in good standing. I had another species in mind's recall that is a sheldgoose. I goofed. I just thought that I recalled that classification, but I was wrong.......spank me. Most of those quiz questions come from an old man's memory, and some from reference books. I should check before I post to keep from leading folks astray. Sorry.

heehe

This response submitted by jon on 1/6/05 at 3:05 PM. ( jon ) 68.184.178.161

I let ya slip by on that one.. hehe.. But it did make me go look..

Of course so did the wood duck thing.. but I thought I'd atleast heard tale of that one before.

Have a great day Cur.

Jon

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu