George Brittanica vs. Taxidermy.net Forums Yox asks

Submitted by Glen Conley on 1/6/05 at 10:15 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.96.167

Today's questions were provided by Bill Yox.

Bill is a working taxidermist, and not a manufacturer, or supplier, BUT he has probably had about as strong an influence on the evolution of modern whitetail taxidermy as any one individual. The nature of his questions reflects his unique individuality.

If you notice someone in here wearing Mickey Mouse Club ears, that is THEE Elmer Gantry. I suspicion you guys had better be quick if you are going to smoke THEE Gantry on this one.

Bill, I have to do this. I'm going to throw in an extra question right up front.

Question: Whitetail deer from Ohio have a characteristic "O" under the tail. What other states have deer that display the characteristic "O"?

The first person to answer all questions correctly, and put them in proper order in a separate post, wins a Whitetail Designer Systems reference disk.

Bill's questions below.

Anyone can look up Carl Akeley trivia, and find out his father and mother were Webb and Julia, or that he had 6 brothers... Walter, Winnie and an infant died, and his remaining brothers were Lewis, Ward and Thomas. Here's your questions...

1) Carl mounted his first speciman at age twelve. What was it, and as a bonus, who did he mount it for?

2) We know Carl was born in Clarendon, NY. An area painter/taxidermist was an early influence to Akeley. What was his name, and as a bonus, where did he live at that time?

Ok, you all would know what a panty is if I said it was stored in a womans dresser.

3) What is a panty thats stored in a freezer? My hint? Its a chinese word.

4) The theory of bilateral and unilateral atrophy in antlers was authored by who? Bonus questions include his sons name who helped him, and where they did their work.

Whitetail deer have monopodial antler shape, the points grow from the top and alternate. Mule deer have dichotomous antlers, in which the main beams fork.

5) What is this forking called?

Whitetails and mulies are of the genus odocoileus, which is actually an error.

6) Can you name the famous naturalist that goofed?

7) What word was he trying to use? How about I serve up a bonus point for what the correct word means.

Heres your "which came first, the chicken or the egg" question of the deer world.

8) From the genus odocoileus, which came first, mulies, blacktails or whitetails?

9) Which came second?

10) Which came last?

It is theorized that the third animal, the resulting hybrid from the first two, will someday dissappear. A nice fat bonus point is yours if you can tell what main feature is lost from this hybridization and is it's downfall.

For all you Saturnide freaks, heres a cool moth question. Hyalophora cecropia, the Cecropia Moth, is so closely related to callosamia promethea, the Promethea Moth, that they could easily interbreed.

11) What has nature done to keep this cross from occurring? Your hint...it has something to do with pheromones, which, like the moths themselves, are much the same. As a way-out bonus question, lets throw in a third close relative, hyalophora Columbia, and explain how nature keeps him from crossing as well.

While on the subject of breeding, lets touch base on delayed fertilization, shall we?

12) Name me one very nomadic, wide home-ranged North American mammal, well-known for utilizing delayed fertilization. Just to show Im still a good sport, I'll spot you one last bonus if you tell why this mammal needs to do this

Finally, just be glad I didnt start going into blastema rings, who established tooth-wear/age charts in whitetails in the 1960s, why deer dont have gall bladders, or what gastroliths are...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

#5 is bifurcated antlers

This response submitted by Gantry is Gone for today on 1/6/05 at 11:29 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.181

#6 Rafinesque I remember reading this in Rue's Complete Guide to Game Animals
#7 he was wanting to name it Odontocoelus, didn't have spell checker
#8 whitetail
#9 blacktail
#10 mule

Go BRADLEE, Gantry's gone

just a thought...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/6/05 at 12:10 PM. ( ) 67.138.14.47

Why dont you guys post your complete answer list at once? I did the same thing the time I played, and gave away some good answers. Like, how many of you guys happened to know that red bat answer, hahaha! Dont show 'em your hand till you see all your cards! Have fun, though! So far, so good...

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/6/05 at 12:14 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.116.134

It's a WOK in freezer!(LMAO) Jeff F.

One more time

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/6/05 at 1:13 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

First of all , All deer have a distinctive "O" shape under their tails !
LOL
I had not much luck this time around so I will just shoot for Bill's Final statment here . LOL

Blastema rings have something to do with regeneration I think .

Jack Ward Thomas , Rod Marburger , Charlie Ramsey , and a few others created the tooth - wear / age charts in the 60's .

Deer have no gall bladers because it helps to emulsify high fat diets.

Gastroliths : small stones swallowed by animals such as the plesiosaur used for ballast and grinding foods . Some were swallowed accidently !
Best as I can do on this one ! LOL

I Gotta Split For a few hours .

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/6/05 at 1:23 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I will attack alittle later when I get back !
Bradlee

Use the force Bradlee...an answer sought lies

This response submitted by Riddler Gantry on 1/6/05 at 2:01 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.97

within "just a thought" says the nemesis of Adam West

Holy Schizophrenia Gantry!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/6/05 at 2:16 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

Riddle me this. Wasn't Adam West married to Kenny Rogers or something? (LOL) Jeff F.

This response submitted by 搶 on 1/6/05 at 2:25 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.97

)"...3 j

This response submitted by Elmer Gantry 搶 on 1/6/05 at 2:28 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.97

"...每"IHuitlao

www.mum.org/chpanpad.htm

說䐥說謊䌻ݐ-

Holy auriculus feces Jeff F. I hope not, his last wife was

This response submitted by gan on 1/6/05 at 2:54 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.97

Marce, his second wife was, Ngahra Frisbie, and the original batwife was Billie Lou Yeager, Mr. WEST filed for a divorce said the lady was deiving him batty,
guess it's time for Kenny
to know when to hold 'em,
know when to fold 'em,
Know when to walk away
and know when to run

Question number 12

This response submitted by CUR on 1/6/05 at 3:54 PM. ( ) 4.227.11.88

Bill, do you mean delayed fertilization or delayed implantation? I was just playing along on the side this morning. Just thought I would ask. I assume you are refering to retention of viable sperm and not en utero suspension of blastocysts.

well, now that you mention it...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/6/05 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 67.138.15.101

I think Ive used BOTH one in error. Once these guys post their answers, Ill explain, and you can decide from there. Im not sure where I can look it up, and have an example. I know I have the right animal, though. If I had to guess, Id say the fertilization takes place, but further development is delayed...I questioned Glen on that very thing.

I think #12

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 1/6/05 at 6:20 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

would have to be the American Black Bear, because it gives birth in the Den in the winter but breeds in the Spring.

Ooops...

This response submitted by Jim Stagliano on 1/6/05 at 6:22 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

almost forgot....every other year.

Jim, my good man

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/6/05 at 6:49 PM. ( ) 66.133.134.244

Thats because she raises her cub(s) through that first year, then winters together and into the second year, so she cycles every other year, unless she loses her cubs that first year.

Gantry's kampf with number 12

This response submitted by Elmer on 1/7/05 at 10:14 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.236

Ok here it is as the Gantey sees it, the question Numero 12 ask for a "mammal" who has a wide home range that utilizes "delayed fertilization". Keying in on "mammal" there are only 2 groups of "mammal" that Ganty knows who practice this type of reproduction in N. America that being the bats and the armadillo. Delayed fertilization happens when sperm is deposited prior to ovalation, and the ovum and sperm are united at a future point in time.

The bears and some mustelids practice another form of reproduction called delayed implantation, in which the ovum is immediately fertilized but embryonic development stops after just a few cell divisions, Cur's "blastocysts" above.
These blastocysts do not implant on the uterine wall until a future time, hence the name of "delayed implantation". There is no delay in fertilization by those mammals that practice delayed implantation, the females ovulate and the males inseminate.

number 12 as asked eliminates bears and mustelids, since they aren't mammals that practice "delayed fertilization". This leaves us with the bats, and the armadillo.

To futher discuss this question we have to see that the question asks for a "very nomadic, wide home-ranged" ..."mammal" that practices "delayed fertilization" this in itself pretty much eliminates the armadillo as its home range is much smaller than a bat's.........hence Gantry's answer to the question as propounded by Mr. Yox has to be a __ __ __.

Bill, this one is your thread,

This response submitted by Glen on 1/7/05 at 11:48 AM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

and I know what you have in mind. But would you mind if #12 would be opened up for discussion? There is just a ton of interesting information and variables that could go along with your question.

Best I got so far

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

1. Canary for his neighbor
2. David Bruce in Brockport
3. Thong : EggYolk
4. Miller found compelling evidence of lateral and vertical atrophy
5. bifurcated antlers
6. Ranfinesque
7. Palaeodocoileus : synonym for odocoileus
8. whitetail
9. blacktail
10. mule
11. the females call at different times of the day . promethea in late afternoon but not after dark. cecropia from 3:30 am until 5:00 am (does vary slightly but not enough to overlap )
12. Thompsons big eared bat
ranges from southern Mexico to southern British Columbia in the
west . Eastward to South Dakota , Kansas and Texas.
Isolated populations in limestone regions in the Eastern states.
They mate in Autumn and early winter at their hibernation sites
while they are in peak physical condition.
Fertilisation is delayed until spring. Pups are born in early
when foraging conditions are prime.
I still stick with the answeres from your last statement aslo bill ! LOL

Blastema rings have something to do with regeneration I think .

Jack Ward Thomas , Rod Marburger , Charlie Ramsey , and a few others created the tooth - wear / age charts in the 60's .

Deer have no gall bladers because it helps to emulsify high fat diets.

Gastroliths : small stones swallowed by animals such as the plesiosaur used for ballast and grinding foods . Some were swallowed accidently !

And Glen , All deer in all states have the "o" shape under their tails ! That "o" is for pooping ! LOL

Hope I did ok so far, Bradlee

Pups born early summer I meant !

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 12:34 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

That is on #12 . The bat one
Bradlee

just to show you all...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/7/05 at 12:35 PM. ( ) 66.133.133.211

...that Im not above learning further, Ill elaborate...and concede! I was indeed looking for delayed implantation. I realize Cur has emailed you guys with the particulars and I also mentioned my slip while replying to his post above. I did say impregnation when I meant implantation. I apologize for the confusion, theres a big difference between the two for how the question should be answered. Again, like my previous reply to Cur stated, I was holding out correcting myself until we spill the beans, but it looks like the clarification was needed now.

Jim Stagliano was accurate in naming the bear, I only posted what I did for him so as to clarify the every-other-year scenario. Im not completely sure of the bears gestation and how well it utilizes this feature.

The mammal I was looking for is indeed a mustelid. I thought by saying a long ranging nomadic example that you all would come up with my choice, which was the example I recall reading about describing delayed implantation.

I tried asking questions and wording them in a way that would make it somewhat difficult to just do a google search for the answers. I was hoping you guys would recall an answer, or be familiar with the subject enough to reference it further. To me, thats the fun way to do these things. Just typing in "sable" and getting to choose between weasel and antelope isnt what I was aiming for. I hope I didnt discourage you guys. I feel that knowledge and thinking is the most fun...

Ill post the answers AND my brief explanations whenever you wish, just say so.

Bradlee, youre rockin'

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/7/05 at 12:43 PM. ( ) 66.133.133.211

So far, youre pretty darned close. Explain "calling" with regard to the moths. Also, even though it was just an extra, about the gall bladders...yes, gall bladders do indeed help break down fats, but your answer doesnt explain why deer dont have one. 3,4,7 and 12 are not the answers Im looking for, although in your referencing, they could be accurate, Im not sure. By the way, gastroliths as I know them are sedimentary stones formed around a foreign body in the stomach. Dinos had 'em, ruminants do and thats where I came to know them. Glen can tell you what horse people call them too!

Good work, Bradlee!

Calling moths

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 1:14 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

The female is considered to be calling when she hangs her abdomen down to let the pheromones from her tube .

Thus attracting the male

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 1:16 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

So twelve is

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 1:23 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

The American Black bear ?

Scientists..

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 1:24 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Do not know why deer have no gall bladder ! LOL Just another great mystery !
Bradlee

madstones, bezoar, trichobezoar, phytobezoar OH MY!

This response submitted by gantry on 1/7/05 at 1:43 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.236

madstones out of deer were the only treatment of rabies, way back when, in colonial days, no doubt the idea brought to this country from England. I suspect that it is associated with the orient, and their brand of homeopathic medicines. The white ones were thought to have had the most power to draw out the rabies, the brown ones were the least powerful, suggestive of the white color phase of the fallow deer.
The mad stone gets its name from its use in treating people bitten by a mad dog, aka rabies. Although the name implies its a stone in fact its just a mass of hair. They are very light in weight. When sliced it looks like felt, and individual hairs may be seen, at least on the ones I've seen. To me they resemble cannon balls.
They were also employed to draw out the posion of sssssnakes.

Bill

This response submitted by cur on 1/7/05 at 2:02 PM. ( ) 4.226.240.67

I didn't email that data to any one but GlenC and requested he forward it to you. In the spirit of competition it would have been poor choice for me to have done so. Anyone who came up with an answer did so on their own, and not with any assistance from me.

Bradlee

This response submitted by Gee Gantry on 1/7/05 at 2:18 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.99

Bradlee me thinks Bill was looking for the latter one of these mink, marten, river otter, sea otter, and wolverine*, But if I read into this right don't worry too much about that question, your on the cutting edge right now, you have a give me, go read the first post, then the second post's last 4 words....then count the number of letters in your name, that also Mr. G's lucky number.....enter Mr. G's lucky number answer into the equlivant of the thing that propels a car, within that lies your answer + bonus, follow the instructions by Glen above and I think ya win!
Confused

I concur with what Cur says

This response submitted by Elmer on 1/7/05 at 2:26 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.99

and hits the truth on this end. Just something I was slightly versed on, way back when I worked for a living.

lol

This response submitted by cur ious on 1/7/05 at 2:42 PM. ( ) 170.215.0.32

Now we need curs assistance!? lets all roll our eyes together. Im admitting I dont know the answers, but cur you surprise me by only asking such technical questions about a question that was technical to begin with, without seeming to know the answers? You shock us all!

My poor little brain

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I think I just blew my thinkin' fuse ! Darn it , I can not find any more info that makes any scents ! LOL Who are you people , Where am I ? LOL
Call the funny farm for me ! LOL
Bradlee

Elmers Concurring Cur ious is that Cur never emailed me

This response submitted by eg et. al. on 1/7/05 at 3:02 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.99

about anything concerning delayed anything. My post to concur with what Cur said, that he hadn't concurred with anyone whatever he sent Glen. I was concuring what Cur had stated that he hadn' emailed that data to anyone other than Glen, since I haven't heard from MR. Cur I was only concurring what he had stated. Thats cur rect

seven

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 3:06 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

7.odontocoelus

ok I think I get it sort of

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 3:19 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

1. Canary for his neighbor
2. David Bruse : Brockport
3 . Thong : egg yolk
4 . Still can only find Miller
5. Bifurcated antlers
6 . Rafinesque
7. Odontocoelus
8. Whitetail
9. Blacktail
10. Mule
11. The females "call" by hanging their abdomins to release the pheromones from their tubes at different times of day . Promethea female calls in the late afternoon but not after dark .
cecropia calls from 3:30 am until 5:00 am ( varies alittle but never overlaps )
12. American Black Bear
Close as I can get here folks ! My mind is whooped ! I need a beer !
Bradlee

Cecil

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 3:22 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

If you read this , I also now have a killer headache ! LOL
Bradlee

Now for my next trick !

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 3:32 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I will do a complete research of Bill Yox , Cur , Glen , Gantry ,and the ever mysterious , Globnecked Purple Crosseyed Whatsisit ! Bradlee

Mr CUR ious

This response submitted by cur on 1/7/05 at 3:43 PM. ( ) 4.226.57.115

The reason I asked that was that had I stated the answer, it would have been a dead give away. The two terms, "delayed fertilization", and "delayed implantation" are sometimes use synonyously, although they do not indicate the same process. Only one group of North American mammals are capable of delayed fertilization.

A number of other Mammal groups are capable of delayed implantation. As Gantry and other stated above, mustelids and bears and armadillos, to name some, all employ delayed implantation. Only bats are capable of delayed fertilization. The longest period of delayed implantation is displayed in Otters and Fishers at ten months.

Like I said, I didn't know how to post that without giving the answer away. Glen can testify that I sent the email only to him to forward to Bill Yox. I don't have the email addresses of any one else but Elmer Gantry. Had I sent him the answers I had, I damn well would have sent all of them, and not just one.

That was a tough test, and testified to Bill's knowledge of cervids in specific and our field in the general..........I would never divulge anything that would or could be construed as cheating on this or any other test.

Frankly, I participate on this forum to share what little I know with others. I don't need to see my words in print to feel good about myself, and frankly am getting a bit tired of the snide remarks. They are not necessary, and they don't make anyone but the commentor look bad in the eyes of others.

ok, lets get this out of the way before it grows

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/7/05 at 3:59 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.218

Im not sure where everyone besides Glen is headed here. Glen asked if Id submitt a group of ten or so questions to continue what seemed to be a fun post about trivia having to do with what WE do. I was happy to, and I did so for the reasons I mentioned earlier, knowledge is fun. Im not trying to out-do anyone, I assure you that.

In another trivia set earlier this week, I admired how Cur tactfully handled a question that was either phrased wrong or misunderstood, I forget which now. Well I used the wrong term for my #12 question, and wanted also to be as graceful in my error. I mentioned Cur having emailed others about the clarification, not to suggest anyone was cheating, being helped or anything other than that Cur was clarifying...period. I know it was asked that it be forwarded to me, of course. Not a problem. Im not competing, so anyone feel free to forward away! I like learning.

So, the answer I wanted was of course, the wolverine. He might only run across a receptive female by chance, so nature adjusts from there. They have wide ranges WITHIN the range of their existence, that is. Thats my reason for saying nomadic.

Heres my answers, I hope you enjoy them.

#1 and 2 ...Mr Akeley mounted a pet canary for his neighbor, one Irene Glidden. The Glidden family name is still very popular here around Clarendon and Holly, about 4 miles from me. David Bruce was the painter from Brockport (boy that town sounds familiar to me...) When I have students here, we put them up in a bed and breakfast around the corner from me, a huge place with cool Bruce murals on the walls. Carl left Mr Bruce on his suggestion to go on to Wards Scientific, still here in Rochester, where he persued his taxidermy career.

#3 ...A panty from the chinese is the amputated velvet antler used as an aphrodisiac. I ran across this tidbit once in the Goss antler book from the Texas symposium. I later bought a copy of my own from Old Fart, a fellow antler nut.

#4 ...I thought this one was going to be easier for you all. Us antler nuts all know Anthony Bubenik and his son George from the University of Guelph, Ontario. They ran tests for years on antler injuries and subsequent growth patterns, as well as those associated with body trauma. I spoke to Mr Bubenik by phone a few years back, hes a cool guy, and sent me copies of some of his paperwork. Very approachable!

#5 ...Bifurcation was the word I was after, you guys were all over that one. Some antlers bifurcate and then repeat this splitting again. They theorize that antlers are for displaying to mates and rivals, and different postures, such as sidling or rearing or frontal pose is dictated by beam structure, palm angles and points, besides all the theories about how different antlers aid in moving through terrain!

#6 ...Constantine Samuel Rafinesque is the fellow who missed his greek classes.
#7 ...He was looking for the word odontocoelus, which means hollow or concave tooth. Go figure! In his position, I might have gone with giro, another greek word I cant pronounce with certainty.

#8 ...Yessir, Whitetails slowly moved west out of Virginia (Im just having fun with the type name virginianis) and eventually evolved into the blacktail in the northwest, before receding eastward. They were divided by habitat changes courtesy of the superherbivores and carnivores of that period. With the changes of that period came favorable grazing lands and another move west by the whitetails, where they again met the blacktail. This interbreeding produced the newest deer, the mule deer. Back in the day, mulies and blacktails were both considered o.hemionis, but scientists studying genetic codes using mitochondrial DNA, which trace back to the maternal side, found that mulies were newer, and a result of male blacktails and female whitetails. Also, because whitetails could also cross with mulies, they are pushing mulies toward an uncertain future. The resulting hybred has lost its ability to stot, which is the mulies way to escape predators. WTs bound over obstacles, mulies, by stotting, put obstacles in the way by side stepping them at the last step and confusing predators chasing him. Theres tons more to this, its very interesting. Susan Lingle and Dr Valerius Geist of Sask can help you with details! Thats also #s 9 and 10.

#11 ...Prometheas fly during the day, not too many saturnides, or giant silkworm moths do this. She releases her pheromones from 4 PM till 6:30 PM, cecropias from midnight till 3 AM and the bonus, columbia from 3:30 AM till dawn. How cool is that? I could tell you a neat promethea story, but Im already running long here...

#12 ...my apologies for the goof here...heres the email from Cur, which helps clarify nicely...
Glen:

Pass this on to Bill Yox, please....

I am not sure which species Bill refered to:

The Chrioptera (bats) are one species that employ delayed fertilizations. The bats breed prior to hibernation when females congregate. Fertilization is delayed so that the young are born when food is available.

Many other species exhibit forms of delayed development of the Blastocyst after normal fertilization of an egg. The fertilized egg goes through the first few doublings and then remains in utero until conditions are favorable for foetal development and subsequent birth. Bears do that by breeding in the spring and then not completing the cycle until winter so that they do not have to expend energy during the fall when forage is a priority.

Armadillos use the same principle which is what allowed them to invade temperate zones. The offspring would be born in winter and not survive if the pregnancy were not delayed by en utero suspension of the Blastocyst.

Otters and Fishers also delay development of the fertilized Blastocyst. In fact, Otters hold the record among North American mammals.....I suppose at ten months time.

There are other species known to exhibit the trait, but I imagine that one of the oabove is what Bill had in mind. Bats store the active sperm. the rest suspend development of the Blastocysts.

This should help with putting #12 to rest!

Blastema ring is where the velvet growth starts on antlers, it caps over right after the antler is cast, then erupts again when growth starts.

Bill Severinghaus has been credited with the original tooth wear charts back in the 60s. Hes from NY state and worked for the DEC.

Bradlee is correcto-mungo, Im not aware of any accurate explanation as to why deer do not have gall bladders.

-----I sure hope this hasnt gotten boring, I noted the lack of participation this time around. Glen, feel free to fire away on details with #12. And to think, I just threw that one in for sh*ts and giggles...

oh, by the way

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/7/05 at 4:06 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.218

what about this Gantry guy? Sharp guy this Elmer! I like Bradlees spirit too, even though we blew his thinking fuse. I guess if I were Glen Id send the reference stuff to Bradlee just on principle, not to mention he almost aced this. One last time, I apologize for the loose ends, I enjoy running "off the cuff", but that allows for some errors, due to memory, the loss of, that is. Are we all good now, I hope? We all know of Curs range of expertise and knowledge, but these others guys are showing up too!

Bill, you and I are definitely on the same wave length.

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 1/7/05 at 5:13 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.96.167

I had read Bradlee's responses earlier, and had already figured that he DESERVED his choice of one of those reference disks. Bradlee is obviously a person with "problem solver thinking". No secret, the bulk of the population has always "fed" off the work of the problem solvers. So, Bradlee, shoot me an e-mail with your choice.

I thought your #12 question, along with the e-mail from cur, which I forwarded to you, and the contents of same that you just posted, was in total some really fascinating and interesting information. That was my reason for wanting to open it for discussion.

Bear in mind, we B.O.O.M. guys have seen and noticed a few things in going through life. One of the things that I have actually questioned younger people on was the amount of BASIC biology that they had had in going through the public school systems. Rather than me simply hand over the answer to that one, why don't those of you with children ask the same question of your children, and the educators in charge. I suspect that responses may well vary with regions, BUT I also suspect you might be shocked with the small amount of biology education these kids have had, and I do not think this has been confined to just the most recent crop of young 'uns.

I would say we have all learned at least something from the trivia questions that have been pitched out over the last number of days.

Great test Bill

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 5:24 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I did see in my searching about velvet antler but could not link it to panties ! LOL It was fun trying to find all of those answers and one hell of a challenge . Yet, I call for a default ! LOL No, cur does not have my e-mail or any of you for that matter . LOL Oh well , I tried .
Bradlee

Gantry

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 5:25 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

You are a genius ! Bradlee

Thank you Glen

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 5:27 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I will send you right away ! Bradlee

By the way

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 5:30 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I never took Biology ! Just found the answers on line with hours of learning to boot ! Bradlee

How did you forward an e-mail to me if noone has my address

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 5:34 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Seems strange but I will go check it . Bradlee

Nope no e-mail there

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 5:42 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

LOL my e-mail is empty ! lol Bradlee

Oh No Mr. Bill

This response submitted by Gantry on 1/7/05 at 6:16 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.102

if you only knew how wrong you are about Gantry, haha probably one of the dullest knives in the drawer..my biggest accomplishment in life, was back when I was actually gainfully employed and drove my immediate supervisor into Our Lady Of Peace, ha ha he deserved it, and I enjoyed every minute of it.....I did have a question..in reference to number 3, the only reference to panty I was able to come up concerning chinese was panty liners Huitlao brand, check your book and see if panty as reference to antler in velvet is actually a Russian word. Here is why I ask:

www.naturalelixir.com/antler.html

I suspecion there wasn't any lack of participation, just nobody posting till they had em all, which made it l@@k that way. Anyways its all in fun, I had no source to Carl Ackley and you would be surprised as to whats not on-line about him. I knew him by name only and his work with the Field Museum, but nothing as to #'s 1&2.

Far as Gantry is concerned Bradlee smoked the quiz.

Yes Gantry

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 8:05 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I'm just a dumb hillbilly myself here ! LOL I also found the very same add for panty liners ,then went to food. Thong is used in chinese deserts used with egg yolk , guess I want nothing to do with them either now ! LOL Carl Akley was hard to find but I found the answer to atleast number one ,and I think number 2. That panty one drove me crazy ! LOL I did however do that to my wife and she made chinese sounds ! LOL Just couldn't remember them and they were probably not about food anyway ! LOL I still think you are either a genius , or , someone like me that will research to death to try to find the answer to a question . Let's attack the new one ! It is already posted ! LOL
Bradlee

oh well

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/7/05 at 9:21 PM. ( ) 66.133.134.71

I suppose a guy thinks about panties and antlers long enough and hes going to find a tie between the two. Its in a book I havent read in awhile, but I know its there. Its at my house, so Ill try to remember to look it up. Akeley stuff is easy here, I live 5 minutes from where he grew up. The book African Obsession made it popular all over again too. I still know some Gliddens, so again, its familiar to me. I did a Carl Akeley theme on one of my Yox Yax in Breakthrough, and they printed the historic placard pic I took from the site. Some of that stuff, well, you just sort of pick it up here and there, I guess.

had to go look!

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/7/05 at 10:06 PM. ( ) 66.133.135.138

Antler Development in Cervidae, Robert Brown...page 191. Got a chance to look at my son's wrestling video, hes happy, and I grabbed the book. Im surprised I could remember why I was up at the house! Getting old sucks!

Billl Relax Brother ! LOL

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/8/05 at 12:15 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I hope we didn't blow your thinkin' fuse ! LOL You put on a fantastic challenge and I am still realing ! Bill , We don't all have books ! LOL
Just hang in there , Take some deep breaths , have a drink , and keep us informed with your great knowlage ! BY the way , the thinkin' fuse is a 30 amp ! LOL Bradlee

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu