Soldier Begging For Dog Food For Deployed Dogs

Submitted by Cecil on 1/6/05 at 2:07 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.171

Soldier Begging For Dog Food For Deployed Dogs
Commander Says Dogs Live Off Scraps And Garbage

LAS VEGAS -- The commander of an Army Reserve detachment is begging friends back home to send food for Iraqi police dogs.

"The dogs are starving and urgently need dry dog food," Capt. Gabriella Cook, commander of the Las Vegas-based 313th Military Police Detachment, said in a Dec. 28 e-mail reported Wednesday by the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

"Some of them have already died," Cook wrote. "Half of them are sick. We have no way of buying actual dog food here."

Cook's unit arrived last month in the Iraq capital. She said 12 German shepherds and one black Labrador retriever trained for bomb-detection and attack at the Iraqi Police Academy in Baghdad have been eating table scraps and garbage.

"It seems like an emergency situation," Diana Paivanas, a Henderson pet-care provider and Cook's friend, told the Review-Journal. "Something needs to be done now to save these dogs."

Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., a veterinarian, directed a legislative aide to contact an Army liaison to investigate, a spokesman for the senator said. But when contacted Wednesday, his office said they were unsure where to send donations and that they are looking into it.

Military officials at the Combined Press Information Center in Baghdad did not immediately respond to the newspaper's request for information about the food supply for U.S. canines in Iraq.

Paivanas said she found it costs about $50 to mail a 30-pound bag of dog food to Cook.

Henderson Veterinarian Terry Muratore estimated that each of the 13 working dogs would consume a 40 pounds or more of dry food per month.

"If securing the country entails having security dogs that are healthy, then we should do that," Muratore said. "Surely there's space on a C-130 to get a pallet of dog food over there."

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

What?

This response submitted by cur on 1/6/05 at 4:11 PM. ( ) 4.227.11.88

That is hard to believe. The sentry dogs in Vietnam got better care than the GI's. That has to be poor planning by some second looie.

And most were left behind in Vietnam too

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/6/05 at 4:12 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.171

unless you figured out a way to sneak them out.

Note: they are IRAQI dogs

This response submitted by Junipera on 1/6/05 at 8:52 PM. ( ) 66.66.1.216

they probably get the same care/protection as as the IRAQI Police/"National Guard", the people who are supposed to protect their country after the ELECTION.

Whether they're standing in line applying for the job, getting trained, "graduating" from training, on the job--- they get plastered all over the street- real "sitting ducks".

You are full of shirts Cecil

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 1/6/05 at 9:50 PM. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

I DEMAND, you to provide accurate documentaiton on this topic. I know personally, a soldier, whos job it was to train these types of dogs. What you are spewing here is the most liberal bs, of its kind. They take better care of those dogs, than themselves, there are many, dollars and manhours into these dogs. So, either get a real source, or retract this bullshirt you are spewing. You make me sick, I wish the hell you would just leave this site, and to think, that just a few days ago, I thought there might be a chance for you, that you were a tad bit ok.
I have copied your post, and will be sending it out for review.

Randal, a link

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/6/05 at 11:58 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.134

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/4050813/detail.html

Why Not

This response submitted by gotum on 1/7/05 at 8:33 AM. ( ) 209.103.231.46

Feed them Dead Al quita trash Pure meat and a bone or two to pick there teeth with afterward. I'm sick of those Iraqis not atanding up for there own counrty Just like the gooks.

Do the Iraqi...

This response submitted by marty on 1/7/05 at 9:05 AM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

...female dogs have to wear a vail and walk two (four?) steps behind their male counterparts?

Same article

This response submitted by Liz on 1/7/05 at 11:19 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

Just because the boston Globe copied the Las Vegas article, doesn't make it twice as right. And, how is the humane society supposed to ship this over there? If the military is going to assist, and provide them with information to ship it, doesn't it stand to reason that the military themselves would take care of these dogs? Why would they put the time and effort into training these animals, wether they are US or Iraqi is irellevant, and then let them starve to death.

Something tells me this is a political thing, and very FAR from the truth.

Whatever

This response submitted by Aguita on 1/7/05 at 11:50 AM. ( ) 65.110.111.34

So they don't have dog food. Big deal. Feed them what they are feeding the troops. They will be fine, atleast after the initial reaction to the change in diet. I'm with the others though. It is a bunch of BS.

facts or fiction?

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 1/7/05 at 12:35 PM. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

Yep, your right Jeff f. there is a story, but is if fact or fiction. You know, Dan Rather had a story that was fact, and even spread it world wide, only later, to have to say, it was fiction.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu