George Britannica vs. Taxidermy.net Forums

Submitted by Glen Conley on 1/25/05 at 8:46 AM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.126.156

Uncle George took it pretty easy on you guys with the last round of quizzes. He being the gentleman that he is, held his fingers back from the key board in order to ALLOW you guys to answer the questions so that one of you would win the reference disk.

For those that have never taken Uncle George on before, the first person that can answer all questions correctly before Uncle George does, wins their choice of a Whitetail Designer Systems taxidermy reference photo disk. Answers must be assmbled in one post. I e-mail the contents of the disk to you.

The photos can be printed out all the way up to 8 x 10 1/2 inches. Print 'em, hang 'em in your shop, and point out to your customers that you WON those photos by competing against some of the sharpest minds in the taxidermy industry. How's that for braggin' rights?

1. You have "bagged a deer". What did you do?

2. What national name brand product line started out as a food for ranch mink?

3. You have a black crappie, and a white crappie of the exact same length. Which one has the longest sciatic nerve?

4. Originally made from swamp plants, now made from corn. Name?

5. What was the original inspiration for Velcro fasteners?

6. Glass is a solid. True or false. Explain your answer.

7. What major cereal company sold horse and mule meat in cans?

8. Watson and Crick discovered DNA in 1964. True or false. Explain your answer.

9. Radar is the ______ of a signal.

10. You started out in early morning on a squirrel hunt. You take a couple right away. You spend a couple more hours in the woods and then look down at the squirrels you are carrying. They have maggots on them. Where did the maggots come from?

Bonus question: Kentucky history
Who was resposible for taking Sears & Roebuck catalogs out of school rest rooms, and putting Ale 8 and Moon Pies in school lunches?
1. Maynard G. Krebs
2. Alfred E Neuman
3. Elmer Gantry

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Go Gantry

This response submitted by A Gantry Groupie on 1/25/05 at 9:07 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

the only question that makes any sense at all is the bonus question

G-a-N-t-R-y

Number 2&7 has to be Hormel and SPAM, mmm-good

8.Watson and Crick? False

This response submitted by Mike Dunbar on 1/25/05 at 9:17 AM. ( ) 64.91.85.53

Didn't discover DNA. They may have made the model of the molecule that determined how it carried the genetic code in 1953, but they were not the discoverers. Others like Griffith, Avery and Franklin had tried to determine if it was DNA or Protein that carried the genetic code since chromosomes are made of both. Since proteins are made of 20 different amino acids and DNa just 4 different nucleotides, many thought protein carried the genetic code up until Watson, Crick , Wilkins and Franklin came along in 1953. Should save someone some time.

Here goes....

This response submitted by BWS on 1/25/05 at 9:22 AM. ( brandontaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 148.63.182.79

Here go mostly guesses...LOL

1. Killed
2. Armour-Treet
3. Black
4. Beer
5. Taken from the idea of cockleburs in the wild, to fasten clothes
6. false, due to intricate veining within the stems carrying fluids it is actually more liquid than solid
7. Post
8. False...CREDITED with it in 1953, won prize in 1962-although they were not the true discoverers
9. frequency
10. Intestinal parasites...or uhh, flies..LOL

Bonus:
Alfred Neuman

Well, i tried...LOL

Sheila

# 7 Space Patrol sponser

This response submitted by Blue moon of Ky The G Grass State on 1/25/05 at 9:23 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

#7 Ralston Purina, mom always gave us the option of Chex or a can of mule meat,fer breakfast Ganry loved that palomino mule, mmmmm-good

# six

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 9:29 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

Gantry on glass :Glasses are amorphous solids. There is a fundamental structural divide between amorphous solids (including glasses) and crystalline solids. Structurally, glasses are similar to liquids, but that doesn't mean they are liquid.

Oops

This response submitted by BWS on 1/25/05 at 9:31 AM. ( ) 148.63.182.79

That's what i get for reading too quickly..LOL, it was suppose to be glass not grass..ROFL, so yeah what "g" said!

Sheila

# uno

This response submitted by Is this the answer your looking for George on 1/25/05 at 9:40 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

in Kentucky that means you have slipped up behind a buck , as stealthy as a "painter" and grabbed him by the handle, cause the tail is too slick to hold on too...locally we say we "bagged" him, more sporting than hunting, kinda a combination of hunting and rodeo, and you can practice put and take too, try that with an aught six.... the harder you bag him the more docile he will become, BUT if you squeeze to hard, you will reduce him to venison, which is whats a fancy word fer deer meat, if the flies gets real bad and starts to blow the venison you can put him in a "bag" to ward off the maggots , see queston about squirrel with maggots.
Hear tell in some states it just means to kill a deer. Go figure!

Shucks I don't think Black un's or White un's have them

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 9:46 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

George do YOUR Croppie have sciatic nerves?

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 9:48 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

starch

( is echoechoechoecho

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 9:51 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

Echo

velcro is a Swiss dudes invention, RIKOLA

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 9:57 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

got the idea taking while pulling begger lice Cynoglossum Morrisoni, or its European counterpart off his dog

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 10:07 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

some flies give live birth instead of laying eggs, so finding living maggots on a 2 hour old dead "harvested" squirrel would have to be the maggot of that species of fly.....usually during dove season its the egg bearing type.... thats the "rice" under the wings if you don't toss them in a cooler....rumored to be the binding ingredient in #2 above, and what will get on a "bagged" deer if kept outdoors in warm weather...

Great Vacation Idea, take the kids this summer to Chicago

This response submitted by Gantry Tours call 1900-go-gantry on 1/25/05 at 10:22 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.176

for that great vacation with an educational twist
www.pottedmeatmuseum.com/

find the answers to #2 and #7 in the Field Museum's greatest competition The Potted Meat Museum

3 questions still need correct answers.

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 10:29 AM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

Don't forget to assemble in one post to win. Assembly instructions not included.

James Watson & Francis Crick

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 12:58 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.85

in an excited utterance one Saturday morning Francis Creek the real brain of the two said Mr. Watson , come here..... I think I have found the double-helical structure of DNA molecules. Watson, who was busy playing with his winky dink stated Francis, my dear, I don't give a damn...........but this was prior to 1964 so the date is a Nixonism

on a silver platter , zee marshmallow

This response submitted by eg on 1/25/05 at 1:32 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.85

Glen I retract my previous answer to #4 , seeing through your devious ways of trickery, I was thinking arrowroot starch vs. corn starch, and seeing through your disguise of deceit, have now enter into your mind....... Glen You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of Gantry's imagination. That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Twilight Zone!
.....Ok enough of introductions Mr. Gantry has read your mind Glen you are talking about the good ole concoction called a marshmallow, formerly made of the plant called ha, a marshmallow, cause its a mallow plant that grew in marshy places. The sap from the root of this non native to the United States plant Althaea officinalis was used to make marshmellows back in the 1800's but due to the invention of artificial flavorings, the modern marshmellow is made mostly from corn syrup, minus any real marshmellow root sap at all at all!

This response submitted by g on 1/25/05 at 2:00 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.85

General Mills was probably first, then Ralston P..in the late 50's

Preferred to be served on a stick,

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 2:20 PM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

roasted and toasted to shades of beautiful golds and browns, with the outermost skin having just the slightest crunch.

Who would have ever thought to put a spin off of such a concoction in a Moon Pie?

Enter into my mind? Are you trying to say all of us hillbillies think alike?

Two left. Assemble in one post.

Wait a second!

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 2:24 PM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

I had my damn shoes on 'cause of the snow and it made me miscount!

We still need three questions answered correctly.

Mr. Conley sir:

This response submitted by Ima G on 1/25/05 at 2:31 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.85

would you be so polite as to give the numbers on the wrong answers

No kin to Manners the Butler,

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 2:56 PM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

but I can be polite when backed into a corner. #2, #7, #9

I would give hints in the form of a letter scramble, but key letters might make the words too obvious then, kinda like the K in kwality, eye dunno, eye think I'll abstain.

This response submitted by 9 on 1/25/05 at 3:08 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.85

9 reflection of a signal

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 3:18 PM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

History has it that a ship passing in the harbor blocked the signal...

I figured with all the opinions on lab pup training

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 5:55 PM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

that #2 and #7 would be a walk in the park.

Hint for #7

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 10:42 PM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

http://www.bambootrading.com/adsdetail.asp?sku=A-469&itemname=Ken-L+Ration+Dog+Food+1950+Ad+-+Lean+Red+Meat

I am suffering from Cerebral Constipation

This response submitted by gantry on 1/25/05 at 10:50 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.242

I would like to have Quaker oats, mixed in with my mule meat, probably have its called a hotdog now, haha

Not to be remiss in my unofficial duties an Ode to a Weenie

This response submitted by Big E little lmer BigG little antry on 1/25/05 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.242

Ode to a mule meat weenie, whip crack* Ken-L- Ration

i think that i shall never eat
a substance more devoid of meat
than the hot dog i ate last night
but damn, i did eat every bite.
and when i was done i ate another
so did my sister and my mother
i would have gone for three or four
if there had been any more.

hot dogs are the food of gods
despite the arteries they clog
in the oven, on the grill
floating in a watery swill
mustard, saurkraut
that's what summer's all about
pile them high upon the plates
don't talk to me about nitrates

no turkey, tofu, chicken filler
real mule meat hot dogs are what's killer
so please don't call me a big ol' meanie
when i won't share my all-mule meat weenie.

* sound effects

Ketchup/catsup for that all mule meat weenie.

This response submitted by Glen on 1/25/05 at 11:22 PM. ( ) 70.104.126.156

The fact that I don't get out much is starting to show. In using Google to see if I could come up with hints, I was a little surprised to find out that the food is now owned by the people in the food business.............name starts with a big H.

Heinz for me, without any Kerry please

This response submitted by eg on 1/25/05 at 11:46 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.242

Gee, (thats what ya say to a mule to make it steer to the right, same as starboard)
Big H I could go with Hunts who is owned by Conagra or Heinz,

Stricly a guess but Heinz, must have been one of their 57 varietys

Man I hate to be a spoil sport

This response submitted by cur on 1/26/05 at 12:53 AM. ( ) 4.226.240.113

By 1940, many folks were in the canned dog food business. Following WWI, and the advent of the "horseless" carriage, a lot of horses met their makers. Ken-L-Ration was not the first, but one of them....and they are now owned by Heinz. Ken-L-Ration was owned by General Mills for a time. Horse meat can still be purchased in a can......urp!

The maggots may well be bot fly larvae, since squirrels are also plagued by the little white racers found in deer. And some flies are ovaviparous, depositing hatched larva on dead critters. Hell, maggots are protein too!

Glass is a super cooled liquid. It is a solid in the sense of property, but it has no crystalline content, making it a unique substance. It is the vitrified product of silica (sand) and other materials, that cools in a hard state more akin to liquid than most chilled solids.

Radar is simply a wavelength signal. What is read on the ocilloscope is the ECHO of that signal.

To be very honest, many products are made from corn that were once made from the end result of "swamp plant" decomposition.......If you consider petro products....Plastic wrap, tires, garbage bags and many other products are now made from corn oils, rather than petro chemicals. Corn Starch replaced Arrow root starch - except in some candies. The arrow root collectors became "sangers", and I'll bet Gantry knows what they are.

IAMS is one company that began by producing food for animal husbandry. The first ranch mink foods were ground animal and fish meal and some soy products......sounds like a big mac, huh?

And velcro came from cockleburrs, not beggar lice.....er, is that a KY differential.

Good test, Glen. I just checked in and read it.

I was going to guess

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/26/05 at 7:47 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Starkist tuna for number 2 .For number 4 , I found a neat swamp plant called the nipah palm ( nipah fruiticans ) that you can take the boiled sugars of the fruit , frement it , and make industrial alcohol . lol
for 5 , i had George Mestrel trying to get cockle burrs out of his dogs fur .That's as far as I got and got busy again . Bradlee

Panax quinquefolium , sang it softly and it sounds like pana

This response submitted by gantry on 1/26/05 at 9:03 AM. ( ) 68.156.127.146

Cur
When and don't laugh I was an alter boy, my mom use to brag on wee lill Gantry, she would say that youngun is a right good SANGER in his own rite, after getting tossed out of that church for fighting over who got to sit on a couch, with two others, haha yea a brawl in sunday school, haha Matt Dillon & Miss Kitty would have been proud of; I gave up the idea of becoming a professional wedding sanger,
and starting ODE-ing instead ha

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu