Which is the better self defense round?

Submitted by Jordan on 1/26/05 at 11:23 AM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

357 sig,or 45 acp?Im looking at the sig p239 and the p245.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

neither

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 1/26/05 at 11:26 AM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

BuckShot! LOL I would choose 45 ACP over 357 but that is just my preference. It is what we used when I was in the military. Dan

Mark

This response submitted by Mitrooper27@yahoo.com on 1/26/05 at 11:32 AM. ( ) 68.62.104.224

We used to carry the sig 9mm which was fine in itself. We have switched to the sig 40 which is very nice. We also carry a S&W 357. I think the 45 is a little big and ammo is pricey. I think a 40 would be your best bet. Just my .02 cents

357 Sig

This response submitted by Pirate on 1/26/05 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 151.196.98.42

I would go with the 357 Sig round. It has pretty good balistics. I think it is the better of the two you mentioned. It is expensive to buy though. Even the target ammo is high. the two weapons you mentioned are nice and you will be happy with a Sig.

I can hear the howls now,

This response submitted by Not Gantry's Ghost on 1/26/05 at 12:06 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.146

Buckshot is not a bad answer, and I lean toward the smaller buck!
Though I've owned a couple of sig 228's, and 230's, and presently still do, I have never been a fan of Pistols, the name of the game with me is a six round 357 revolver full of 125 gr.jacketed hollow points, with two well placed shots within the "kill" circle in 3 seconds, old school I guess, I've seen too many guys rely on the capacity of the clip, instead of being cool calm and collected, while somebody is trying to kill you.....believe me in a self defense shooting its over in less than 5 seconds, been there, done that

Given Those Two Choices

This response submitted by pup on 1/26/05 at 12:07 PM. ( cbcr@netins.net ) 216.248.75.158

I'd go with the 45, although I do like the 40 as well. The only other advice I can give is lot's of practice, make yourself as familiar and comfortable with your sidearm as possible, and you'll never worry if it has enough "stopping" power. Remember, "Gun Control" is being able to hit your target! JMO

I own both and two of the Sigs

This response submitted by George on 1/26/05 at 12:22 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

I also have a couple 9mms and a .38, but I prefer the Sig in 125 gr.Speer Gold Dot GDHP rounds (you won't shoot neighbors through walls with that round). The .45 is OK, but I have an older model 1911 that has a tendency to once in awhile stovepipe on me. I don't want that possibility. I have a P229 by the bed, but I like the P239 for carry. Comparing all of them, the Sigs have much better cycling rates and less muzzle jump than the .40 or certainly the .45. If pistols aren't your thing, however, Elmer is dead on. The old Remington 870 with a Foster slug barrel stoked with #4 buckshot is just about as good as it gets. It gives a whole new meaning to "point and shoot".

The BEST Defensive Round........

This response submitted by Old Fart on 1/26/05 at 12:48 PM. ( ) 216.148.244.92

...... Is the one that YOU can shoot accurately. In your case it may even be a 22, I don't know. Accuracy is more important than knockdown power if you can't hit what you are shooting at. For my carry gun I have a 38 special, because I'm most comfortable with it. In the home, shotgun only! My daughter would tell you her Model 22 Glock .40 is the best, but she just completed her law inforcement training.

Jordan,

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/26/05 at 1:03 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Given those two choices,I also would choose the .45.It's a favorite round of mine,but I am sure the .357 Sig would work with proper bullets.I would lean toward the .45 because of availability of parts and ammo,plus lots of cheap practice ammo available.The .40 cal is an excellent choice too.Bullet selection is everthing.I prefer Kimbers or Glocks.I don't consider the .45 big at all.I hunt with .454 Casull,.475 Linebaugh and .500 Linebaugh-they're big.525 grain slug in the .500.I have killed deer and antelope with Hornady's 230 gr.+P load in .45 and a lion with 230 gr.Federal Hydra Shock.They all performed well.

I go with old fart

This response submitted by cur on 1/26/05 at 1:23 PM. ( ) 4.227.11.111

If you are talking home defense, I choose a shotgun loaded with lead bb's....If you mean a carry pistol, I like the little browning .380, even though I have heavier handguns. I can rapid fire a half dozen rounds into a paper plate at ten years with the .380, 'cause it doesn't bounce all over the place. A 22 will kill a man deaded than hell too, and you can dump the whole load into target at any angle without recoiling off center. Heavy handguns are fine if you make the first shot count, but then anything is. The 22 rim fire magnum is a good man buster with solids.

I keep a handgun in every nook and cranny in the house when the grandkids aren't around, and they range from .44 mags to .22's, and it doesn't matter what I might grab to use in defense, I will empty the thing into the invader, anyway. On the street I pack the little .380 with 13 rounds and four spare clips.....65 reasons not to take your road rage out on me.

When it is all said and done, no matter what you have in hand, if you lose your cool, it will be worthless....It is one thing to shoot at paper and quite another to shoot at another who may also be packing.....That is why when the dogs bark late at night, I grab my 870 with the cut down barrel loaded with lead BB's.

Thanks,

This response submitted by Jordan on 1/26/05 at 1:27 PM. ( ) 24.255.124.23

for all your input fellas.For my home gun,I use a colt king cobra in 357 mag.But I need this gun for a consealed weapon.Im leaning slightly towards the 45acp.I dont think a lightweight 45 should bother me much.I do have a 44 desert eagle and a s&w500.Do you think the 500 would be a good self defense gun?LOL.........yes,Im kidding.

well boys when it get serious

This response submitted by and you can't get to your grenades on 1/26/05 at 2:19 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.150

and the the howitzer in the shop, the only thing left is
a combination AK-57 uzzie radar lasar triple barrel double scoped heat-seakin shotgun
dat will take care of all your home infiltration needs
couldn't resist, G

Jordan

This response submitted by JD on 1/26/05 at 3:05 PM. ( ) 216.31.73.16

Dan is absolutely right! Self-defense speaking nothing puts down a threat like 00 buck, period. Handgun wise the best round to stop a threat in close quarters is the 45, hands down. The 9 is too fast, center mass and the threat will remain standing. the 40 is a good round but I have seen the results of a 40 enter a persons chest remove half the heart and not remove the threat. In fact, the threat remained exactly that for an additional 25 seconds, which at the receiving end of gunfire seems to last forever. Next to the shotgun the 45, center mass, will remove the threat at least temporarily. The time it would take the threat to re-engage (get up and re-acquire), blood loss would become the deciding factor. Generally in 15 to 20 seconds major systems begin to shut down, fine motor skills were lost at the onset of the incident. Which gun, personal preference.

Anyone

This response submitted by Alex on 1/26/05 at 5:29 PM. ( ) 66.32.157.214

Anyone who has being in the militry such as Dan Huzik and George and me, will have to agree that a .45 is a man stopper.

I rather pay a few bucks more for the ammo and know when I pull thr trigger it will stop what ever is coming at me, Vitcong or wildboar as I recently experienced with a wounded 350 LBS boar.

I have a video of another boar who almost killed my friend when the .357 round bounced of the shoulder of a boar.

Anything

This response submitted by Chase on 1/26/05 at 10:11 PM. ( farmercdb@hotmail.com ) 67.39.117.200

In are house we have a ruger vaquero (SP) colt .45 shells are alittle expensive, but its a fun old gun.I am a believer in geting anything in them.Doesnt matter if its a BB gun or a 308 rifle, they arnt goin to stick around and see if its goin to hurt them or not.My 2 cents Chase

I carry a S&W .380.....

This response submitted by Mac on 1/27/05 at 7:12 AM. ( vabowhunter@worldnet.att.net ) 216.54.8.18

it's comfortable and I am proficient with it. Whatever weapon you choose, Cur and the others are correct, you have to be able to consistantly hit your target. Though you really cannot beat the impact of a .235g Jacketed Hollow Point .45 ACP, you have to consider that to get something you have to give something. Typically, if you go with a smaller framed, lighter .45ACP, you are going to encounter more muzzle lift, and sharper recoil. This of course, effects your consistancy and accuracy. It can be overcome, but .45 rounds become expensive. The .357 Sig round is not bad, I am not real familiar with it, but my Boss has one and really enjoys it. The give and take here is that you have a smaller, lighter round and more velocity.(Do your homework & double check) More velocity means you have to choose your round carefully. You want something that is going to expand and stop your offender and not completely pass through and injure a bystander. I also have a Berretta 96 Centurian .40 S&W. This is a decent round, somewhere in the middle of your choices, but the unfortunate thing about it is it's size. It's just as big as my .45 which makes it bulky and uncomfortable to conceal carry, just my opinion. Bottom line is choose what YOU can proficiently shoot under varied conditions and positions and choose what is comfortable for you to carry. But remember, Don't draw it if you aren't going to USE it!
Hope this helps.
Mac

For knockdown

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/27/05 at 8:05 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

I use the trusty 1911 45 . That thing will litteraly pick a man up and throw him . I aslo have a little 32 revolver but it stays locked up in the back room . For home , I use two remington 870 super mag shotguns . One loaded with 3 inch magnum deer slugs , the other with 3 1/2 inch magnum bb high shock goose load . Nobody sneaks around my home while I am in it ! LOL Also , if you practice enough and get good at it , a good throwing knife doesn't attract as much attention as a gun shot being fired . Bradlee

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu