George Brittanica vs. Taxidermy.net Forums

Submitted by Glen Conley on 1/7/05 at 5:39 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.96.167

Rockin' Bob Mead has the Forums record for answering all questions correctly. Something like 23 minutes after the post was made.

First one to get them all correct in one post wins a Whitetail Designer Systems reference disk of choice.

1. Stock option- three deuces. Name it.

2. Dude with a bra collection and wood airplane. Name him.

3. Lemon on wheels in the 50's, but Henry would have been proud to be that far "advanced". Name it.

4. Country that was the world's largest supplier of freeze dried tubifex worms in the '70s, and how were they served?

5. Nicknamed "Hitler's Revenge". Name it.

6. According to what is written, what was hunted with hogs?

7. What movie brought "The Sun Lodge Ceremony" into public awareness?

8. What was the purpose of the Sun Lodge Ceremony, and how was it performed?

9. Vulpes fulva is the largest of the foxes native to North America, true or false. Explain your answer.

10. What is the most common color of a three legged buffalo?

11. Palomino is a common Holstein horse color, true or false? Explain your answer.

Bonus round.
A. Why does Bill Yox HAVE to have big antlered deer?
B. How long are the legs of the house that cur's labs (retrievers-dog) stay in during bad weather?
C. Evelyn Onename is a taxidermist in what state?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

#2 is Elmer Gantry

This response submitted by Elmer Gantry on 1/7/05 at 6:44 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.102

how did you know that?

I'll try a few

This response submitted by Wolf aka Amethyst on 1/7/05 at 6:49 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

6. truffles

9. False, introduced in 1750 from europe

10. The same color as a four-legged one

11. False, Traditionally, the Holsteiner has been bay with a preference for no or few white markings.

Bonus:
A. Because he like big antlers.
B. about 9 ft, his dogs aren't the only one that go in during bad weather, he lets the Wolf in too.
C. Um, Texas

No Mr. Gantry

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 6:51 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

That is me ! LOL We seem to already have dispute over this test too ! LOL
Go get 'em ! Bradlee

Number 10

This response submitted by Evelyn on 1/7/05 at 7:10 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

A deep red because he is ashamed of having only three legs.

This response submitted by eg on 1/7/05 at 7:11 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.102

some say the red fox is not native to North America so I go with
Raquel Welch.....haha now that was a baby boomer's delight, a real FOX the way I remember her, such a BIG smile, I never got past that smile, when she was on screen it was like there was no body there just that haunting <smile>

And the purpose

This response submitted by John on 1/7/05 at 7:45 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Of all this drivel is?

Number 10 is...

This response submitted by marty on 1/7/05 at 8:32 PM. ( ) 24.15.104.42

...nickel colored/silverish I believe (Buffalo nickel only had three legs).

Also the taxidermist named Evelyn is from Ohio (How could I forget Glen!)

e posso eu perguntar a Juan o que é sua finalidade?

This response submitted by EmanuelG on 1/7/05 at 8:50 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.102

e posso eu perguntar a Juan o que é sua finalidade? Estes povos estão tendo algum divertimento e o que está acima com voc', comece o bocado no sac testicular pelo reclusa de Nova Inglaterra Loxosceles, penduram ao redor um bocado que voc' pôde realmente aprender algo

Padre Emanuel,

This response submitted by Glen on 1/7/05 at 8:59 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

es verdad.

O homem da grama azul

This response submitted by cur on 1/7/05 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 4.226.57.14

Os "ndices do sack não podem ser esferas. Ninguém em Nova Inglaterra tem-nos... assim que di-lo esse sabido como o cur... o homem do console.

Tuvo solamente un anno en nuevo cossi.

This response submitted by Glen on 1/7/05 at 9:30 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

Que piences hacer esta noche? Juegas al tenis? Donde esta mi cabezza?

eg

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/7/05 at 10:38 PM. ( ) 66.133.135.138

That haunting smile was cleavage, your head was just crooked! Also, Evelyn is from Ohio now? Germany and Texas sound more accurate.

No Bill about that time I was going blind, my mom predicited

This response submitted by <eg> on 1/7/05 at 11:00 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.85

it...my sights worse than Stevie Wonders.....the way I remember her was a rather plain girl sorta "liso" with a very nice smile
ok
#3 strictly a guess China, and sunny side up to fish
#4 Edsel
#5 volkswagen

Well Elmer's mom....

This response submitted by cur on 1/7/05 at 11:19 PM. ( ) 4.225.171.84

Told him he would go blind if he kept it up.....He figured, "heck, I don't want to be an airline pilot anyway.....Pass th' soap"...

1, 2, 4, 7, 8 remain unanswered.

This response submitted by Glen on 1/7/05 at 11:39 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

You can make up an answer for A. I did.

She Wolf, I had to call in the Measuring Committee to see if your answer was correct on B.

C has been answered. Ohio is actually just another one of her drop off stations.

Elmer, maybe if you go out and

This response submitted by Glen on 1/7/05 at 11:42 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

tie one on you could think better and finish answering #3.

Just looked a one of my buffalo head nickels

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 11:45 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

They show four legs ! Bradlee

That is a new one

This response submitted by cur on 1/7/05 at 11:48 PM. ( ) 4.225.171.84

That is not the three legger......Bison usmintus

bradlee

This response submitted by cur on 1/7/05 at 11:54 PM. ( ) 4.225.171.84

Excuse my first post.......about the three legged bison I hit the send without finishing.

The correct name is Bison usmintus denvensis

Obviously you are not a numisthatharsis.. er, numisther....er...coin collector. Denver mint messed up a die and printed a bunch of coins with just the rear and right front leg on the buffalo. An uncirculated one can bring ten grand or more.....not from me.

carl

This response submitted by carl on 1/8/05 at 9:14 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

# 2 howard hughes

carl

This response submitted by carl on 1/8/05 at 9:17 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

#7 a man called horse

carl

This response submitted by carl on 1/8/05 at 9:25 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

# 8 to become a cheyenne warrior and member of the tribe

Hint...hukt on fonix

This response submitted by Glen on 1/8/05 at 9:28 AM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

The first part of number 4 is still dangling. Read what I suggested Elmer do, then use yer best Texas drawl, tie two words together and say 'em out loud.

Maybe that one will not be on google until this post is finished.

carl

This response submitted by carl on 1/8/05 at 9:37 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

#4 first part africa i think

carl

This response submitted by carl on 1/8/05 at 9:47 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

# 4 thaiwan

You Guys

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/8/05 at 9:56 AM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

Are tearing this one up fast ! My brain is still injured from yesterday so add me the the injured list on this one . LOL Glen, I did get the reference photos too . I e-mailed ya thismorning . I just didn't scroll down far enough . Thank You , Bradlee

Here's my answers

This response submitted by pup on 1/8/05 at 10:39 AM. ( cbcr@netins.net ) 207.32.13.211

1. Carburetors

2. Howard Hughes

3. Edsel

4 Taiwan feed em to yer fishies, some people used a worm feeder.

5. VW Bug

6. Truffles

7. A Man Called Horse

8. The participant was attached (incsions made in the skin, either chest or back, and a piece of wood passed through) by rawhide straps to a central pole, he the danced around the pole until the flesh tore, releasing him, this could take days. It was believed that the dancer was taking the suffering of the tribe upon himself, and when he broke free, they were being released from the dark. That's the Sioux short version.

9. False. They were imported.

10. Silver/nickel

11. False. Holsteins are traditionally bays, with maybe a little white

Bonus

A He likes em big.

B I'll go with Wolf, 9 feet.

C Texas

Nine feet?

This response submitted by cur on 1/8/05 at 12:46 PM. ( ) 4.227.8.170

Everybody says what I have is shorter than it is......Riser posts are ten feet, add the joists and stringers and the floor......house is 12 feet...off the pad and thus 16 feet above sea level....

Cur,
Future Tsunami Victim

Cur

This response submitted by pup on 1/8/05 at 3:15 PM. ( ) 207.32.13.244

I'm not one to argue with a man about length, if you say the risers are ten foot then thats what they are. My wife always tells me I can't measure, I don't know what she's talking about.

ok Glen hukted on fonix

This response submitted by elmer on 1/8/05 at 8:52 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.80

wongdong err Hong Kong for #4

Pup is declared a WINNER!

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 1/8/05 at 10:08 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.96.167

Reason being, he answered with the answers I was looking for. I have been pulling this drivel off the top of my head as I drivel on my keyboard, which makes me a double driveler, for which there is probably some kind of penalty.

I was trying to Google proof the questions as much as possible. I figured the questions were for the greater part cut and dry, with the exception of the question about the Sun Lodge Ceremony, to which there were a number of variables.

cur was playing along behind the scenes and guessed the Kaiser for "Lemon on wheels in the 50's", I had forgotten about that one, and I'm thinking there were others. I was looking for the Edsel, as it had received the most marketing publicity, and would be most likely to be common knowledge. I would have accepted any proper answer of that vintage.

"Country that was the world's largest supplier of freeze dried tubifex worms in the '70s, and how were they served?" That one came from past life experience. One of the reasons it has always stood out in my mind was because I was told by a distributor at that time that Herbert Axelrod was receiving royalties off of ALL freeze dried tubifex coming out of Taiwan. I repeated, "ALL?", and got an affirmative acknowledgement.

I was going to use Google and see if I couldn't come up with an easier hint for the younger aquarium keepers.

A fish that I figured everyone would be familiar with was credited as being discovered by Axelrod (even though a priest had described the fish to him, and given him the location) was what I knew as cheirodon axelrodii. I figured I would use google, and build some kind of hint around that. The next thing I knew, I had came up with paracheirodon axelrodi. I hate it when they start changing the names around on stuff without asking me first. If I had seen that genus on an endangered or threatened species list, I sure would not have recognized it by that name.

O.K., I'm a gonna look for another google hint. The Longlife company was one of the big fish food players of the day. Darn, I don't even know if the company is still in existence! So the hint was "tie one" for the country. One thing about living in a capitalistic country, whoever has the most bucks gets to write history.

9. Vulpes fulva is the largest of the foxes native to North America, true or false. Explain your answer. I like "our" answers best. Ooohh boy, check out the copy and paste below.

Bonus round.
A. Why does Bill Yox HAVE to have big antlered deer?
So he can find them under the snow to feed them in the winter.

B. How long are the legs of the house that cur's labs (retrievers-dog) stay in during bad weather?
Long enough to keep them from being swept out to sea.

I just thought that was a cool way to point out, and contrast, the differences in the day to day living habits of a couple of the Forums participants. Underscores the fact that we are playing on the world wide web.

C. Evelyn Onename is a taxidermist in what state?
Texas, for now, we'll see what happens with the franchises.

Old white males seeking internet gratifications

This response submitted by Glen on 1/8/05 at 10:11 PM. ( ) 70.104.96.167

Below is copy and paste e-mails between two old dudes seeking internet gratifications. Notice p a l o m i n o was tactfully avoided by one party.

cur
"Had you said Eastern US, or the Thirteen Colonies, I would have agreed. I covered that extensively in a post a coyuple of years ago. The gray fox (urocyon) was native to the East, but the English Conolinsts imported old reynard in order to fox hunt and ride to the hounds...Yoiks!
However, the Red fox was extant at that time in the Western regions of the new country, having crossed through Beringea long before on the same land bridge the wolf used........So the red fox is native to the US, just not to the eastern seaboard at that time.
I did a serious dissertation on the forums a while back along with Stephen Rogers about how the red fox attained it's color.......including the importation of Vulpes Vulpes from Europe........"

cur
"Vulpes vulpes, the red fox, ranges throughout the northern hemisphere from North America (excluding some areas of the central plains and the Arctic) to north Africa and Eurasia (excluding the tundra). The species V. vulpes originated in Eurasia, appearing in the fossil record about 1.5 million years ago; it reached North America via Beringia about 130,000 years ago. The European subspecies was introduced into the eastern United States in the 1600's, where it interbred with the local subspecies. Vulpes vulpes was present in Texas until the end of the Pleistocene, only to be "reintroduced" into the state in the late 1800's. The red fox was also introduced into Australia in Victoria in the 1860's, and by the 1910's it was found in Western Australia.

Vulpes vulpes is most closely related to the kit or swift fox (V. velox) of North America, the Arctic fox (Alopex lagopus), and the foxes of Africa (V. cana, V. pallida, V. ruepelli, and V. zerda) and Eurasia (V. bengalensis, V. corsac, and V. ferrilata). Allozyme divergence and paleontological data indicate that the common ancestor of the Vulpes group originated in North America and diverged from other canids between 9 and 11 million years before present.
God it hurst to be right all the time...LOL"
(Notice in the last sentence that palomino was tactfully avoided)

Me being the gentleman that I am, I took cur's razzing in stride, and did not bring up palomino, but wished him luck in "winning" the discussion.
Glen
"We will bring this up in front of the Council of Elders.........I hope you are right and win. The winner gets those bleepin' sticks stuck through their bleep and then their body gets pulled up through that scrawny bleep little hole at the top of lodge."

(Thinking that a lot of what you had just read would probably be new drivel to a lot of you, I asked cur if it was O.K. with him to post the contents of our e-mails on the subject.)

"No, Glen I don't mind you posting it......After all it is defensible data..TODAY....LOL"

"Morning:
I've been casting all morning and just turned on the puter. No, I don't mind. The paleontological and paleohistory record displays congruent fossil and bone evidence of Vulpes from multiple sites around North America. It is found in much strata from 400-1100 years before present, which would pre-date stockings by the Colonists in Maryland around 1650, not 1750, as stated. Theory is that as the Eastern Deciduous Forests matured, the red fox left the region, following more suitable habitat.
At the time of arrival of white settlers, the red fox was extant in parts of Ohio, Michigan and points West and North, however, but it was considered rare in the contiguous forest regions. The gray fox (Urocyon) found favor with that environment and flourished there. As man cleared the forests for farming, the red fox expanded from the East and interbred with extant North American Foxes. Since the DNA evidence is, or seems to be so similar among Vulpes, no conclusion can be drawn about which, if any extant Vulpes are hybreds between European and North American strains. Of course research continues, and who knows the final result?
Some theorists maintain that the native red fox populations remained above the 40th parallel, but fossil and bone evidence from caves and Clovis sites would indicate otherwise. If one accepts the Beringea crossing theory, then the red fox and it's canine allies would be progenitors of South American canines, and that seems to be the case based on Allozyme data. In fact, some in the field of canine research believe that the coyote is a result of interbreeding between the Gray Wolf and domestic dogs which came across with the intial migrant peoples from Asia. Others believe that the Red Wolf is the result of intergrading between the Coyote and the Gray Wolf. In fact, the wild canid gene pool is so mixed that I, for one, don't envy those who must cross the I's and dot the T's during this research. Gene research indicates that the most likely ancestor for the domestic dog was the Gray Wolf, so if an ancestor of the Gray Wolf bred with a Gray Wolf to produce a coyote progenitor, and that progenitor's offspring bred with Eastern Gray Wolves to produce the Red Wolf, it becomes a never ending circle............think I will stick to other things...LOL

Who knows what the next TIG or Scientific Journal will bring? The lines are fluid at this point, but the fossil and paleohistorical records are solid."

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu