small game shot while deer hunting... what a pain!

Submitted by Amy Ritchie on 1/7/05 at 7:59 PM. ( Amy@Amystaxidermy.com ) 24.136.154.164

Do any of you get in as many shot-up small mammals as I do? I have gotten in quite a bit of small game (3 bobcats and one fox) that were shot while the hunter was deer hunting. Of course, that means all they had to shoot it with with was a big rifle, 30-06 in most cases. That leaves me with a critter with a huge hole blown in it! That's bad enough on a large bobcat but the last guy brought in a very small bobcat, what I'd call a kitten. Poor thing had a 5" diameter hole in the side of it and another equally as large where the bullet came out the belly. I suggested he get another cat, but this one was special to him. Amazingly I was able to put it back together and you can't even tell a thing, but what a sewing job! Does anyone else get in alot of these?
Amy Ritchie

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Yeah, 'fraid so Amy

This response submitted by Janie on 1/7/05 at 8:08 PM. ( ) 64.242.60.21

We've gotten our share of bobcats and foxes shot with big rifles, even a muzzleloader. Hate to see those messes but unless the shot actually blows skin away I've been able to piece the puzzle back together again.

We only can use

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/7/05 at 8:19 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

shotgun slugs here . They do alot of damage to small critters . Most here are usles after that . did salvage a coyote a few years back . popped a rabbit once and it just dissapeared ! Bradlee

Routine kiddo

This response submitted by cur on 1/7/05 at 9:08 PM. ( ) 4.226.57.14

Welcome to the real world of salvage taxidermy...

Big Bullet Holes

This response submitted by Phil on 1/7/05 at 10:42 PM. ( ) 207.42.62.83

Around here, almost all small mammals are shot by deer hunters. I get muzzle loader kills, large rifle kills, and 00 buckshot victims. When I get a real disaster like this, I suggest a pedestal mount. Result is a an attractive trophy that takes less display space and for a lower cost. Your advantage: Simple mounting process, simple base, no sewing, and quicker turnaround. For me, this is a higher profit margin.

It's the norm

This response submitted by Evelyn on 1/8/05 at 9:11 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Out of about 10 cats I get I would say 8 are shot up. Hardly anybody has the correct gun with them for varmits when they go deerhunting and that's when most of those animals get shot..right out of the deerstand.
Had a kitten come in one time that was in several pieces. Guy shot it with a 2506. At the time it looked like nothing could be salvaged but maybe the front half. I managed to pieces it back together for a full mount. We never did find the tail.

yep

This response submitted by mikeD on 1/10/05 at 10:45 AM. ( ) 64.233.135.63

Same here. Alot of our mammals/predators shot while deer hunting. Holes can be sewn up easily if not hair or skin missing. If you have a small entrance hole, but large exit hole, put the exit hole to the wall side and you will be fine.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu