competition question

Submitted by Bonnie S on 1/8/05 at 10:02 AM. ( ) 204.119.21.51

I would like to enter some ducks in my state competition this year for my first time.I would like to put them inside a glass case.Is this acceptable for judging? or do the judges like to touch the mounts? I am making a very delicate habitat and water scene that I want to keep dust and damage free.The one drawback to the case is that it is very heavy but it does keep the art. water or snow in perfect shape.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

For Judging....

This response submitted by Old Fart on 1/8/05 at 10:18 AM. ( ) 170.224.224.90

.....Most competitions require that the case be removed. Check with the state where you plan to enter.

he is right

This response submitted by larry on 1/8/05 at 2:16 PM. ( ) 65.114.92.166

here in illinois, you definately have to have the case off. they will touch your mount way more than you would care to know. part of a good mount is making sure all parts are as solid as possible

actually

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/8/05 at 3:07 PM. ( ) 67.138.10.28

It may surprise you that some of us judges do some taxidermy, and are actually careful with your mount! I know, I hear the same old story about a duck getting man-handled, and while I know it happens occasionally, the way the stories go, it sounds like you come back for your mount and all thats left is two legs stuck in resin, and nothing else! Haha, just kidding. But seriously, every effort is made to be gentle, at least the classy guys do. I even like to smooth the feather edges back...before theyre judged! Bring your nice mount, leave a note saying youre concerned about the fragile nature of the habitat, and dont forget to lift the glass off before you leave the competition hall. Most any good judge will be careful. Remember, theyre all hoping you do well, too! After the judging, the glass goes back on, before public viewing.

Some judges are rough, others are not

This response submitted by Harry Whitehead on 1/8/05 at 10:12 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

I have had birds judged and couldn't enter them in another competition cause they were ruined by the judge. I don't judge that way and have spoke with other judges not to judge that way. The less that you put your hands on the piece the better. You check for a little mechanical soundness and a little drumming and you let it go at that. Now if you're judging mammals or game heads it is not as critical but it is important not to man handle any piece. That is not to say that mammals and game heads are not as delicate because they are, but certain species are more delicate than others. A good judge can assertain the quality of a mount visually (which taxidermy is a visual art anyway) with very little physical abuse. Keep competing, it'll make you a better taxidermist.

A judge should not

This response submitted by John on 1/9/05 at 12:03 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Touch a mount. they claim nature to be the standard. How many live animals allow judges to grope them? If you cannot see it then it should not matter. Presenting a mount for competition should not include having a single feather moved on the mount. Go to a bike competition, and touch someone's $40,000.00 custom Harley Chopper. Even if you are the judge. see if you have a hand to touch another one. A Judge should view a mount. Use a light, from every angle. Bit Should not touch the mount.

sorry John, youre wrong on the taxidermy end

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/9/05 at 12:15 AM. ( ) 67.138.8.145

Go to that bike show, and show me a scoresheet that asks you to check for stability, drumming, secure attachment of parts, etc. Live animals, bikes and hands-off art shows are all valid, but not comparible. In our competitions, a scoresheet specifically asks us for these details. Like Harry said well, theres a way of judging it without mauling it. The good guys do it right.

Drumming

This response submitted by wingshot on 1/9/05 at 1:03 AM. ( ) 67.1.70.241

on a bird should never deduct from the score in my opinion. All the other requirements stability etc.etc, yes,but drumming Come On. Just an observation.

Im hoping...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/9/05 at 11:58 AM. ( ) 67.138.10.107

...you guys reading this understand Im not rewriting the scoring sheets or the system here, just telling you what the scoresheets say. Heck, I havent even looked at the bird scoresheets in awhile. Sure, theres drumming in nature too, but theres a difference between skin stretched across certain anatomy in certain poses, and skin thats shrinking away due to mecnanics of the mount. Id LOVE to compete at a show where the judge just walked by and looked...but wouldnt we all.

Seems like bird guys...

This response submitted by Jim Tucker on 1/9/05 at 4:24 PM. ( ) 70.32.47.36

are always crying FOWL on this one. Sure I have listened to a few complaints fro mammal guys but very few. IMO as long as the judge puts it back like it was.....and 99.9% of the time they do.....there is no problem. How else are they to check for WET MOUNTS, PINS, DRUMMING, and STABILITY. These are ALL areas of CONCERN in taxidermy competition. Art and/or bike/car shows don't compare, but maybe they should. I have seen bikes and cars that do well at a car show not even RUN!?!?!? I think they at least should have to turn OVER! Maybe some of these OTHER shows should follow our example. For instance at a bike show the bike should start, be able to go in gear, the tires should be in balance, all the hoses and fluid vessels should not leak, the pegs should be solid....etc. Heck, if all they are doing at those shows is LOOKING I could win....and and don't know crap about cycle mechanics LOL!

geez now Im afraid to enter them

This response submitted by Bonnie S on 1/9/05 at 8:19 PM. ( ) 204.119.21.63

In the dang show at all, not because Im afraid of my quality, I dont want them groped to death! just kidding, I understaned the need to know whats going on inside and out of the bird, it is necessary for the judges to touch.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu