Any taxidermists in Western PA?

Submitted by Steve on 1/8/05 at 9:56 PM. ( ) 24.91.80.120

I'm 15, I'm in the middle of getting my hunting license right now (MA resident), and I'll be going on my first deer hunt with my dad's friend who lives in Western PA next fall. How much would it cost to get a shoulder mount of a decent sized 8-point buck?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

In Pa?

This response submitted by John on 1/8/05 at 11:50 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

first off western Pa Is no exactly know for quality deer. a good buck in Pa does not hold a candle to a Indiana or ohio Buck.
Secondly Take that deer back to mass to Have it mounted. Pa's screwy taxidermy testing, causes Pa Taxidermists to be a bit on the high Priced side.

deer

This response submitted by Joe on 1/9/05 at 6:15 AM. ( Joeps95@earthlink.net ) 4.155.57.45

Steve !Drop me an email i live in Western Pa, let me know what county you'll be hunting in.
Joe

John--You have GOT to be kidding!

This response submitted by TJ on 1/9/05 at 6:59 AM. ( ) 205.201.4.153

Pa has some THE BEST taxidermists in the country! - and probably in part to that "screwy" testing you mentioned! Go to Ohio you say..? We are licensed taxidermists that live in PA, our shop is right across the border in WV~~ IF we did repair work, we could make a living off just the mounts that people got done in WV and Ohio alone that their "old" taxidermists "screwed" up! You should hear the horror stories we've heard-unbelievable!
Pa prices are a bit higher than Ohio, thats for sure..but it certainly has nothing to do with the cost of testing which is minimal..Its because of quality workmanship..
Ok..take a deep breath now..sorry if I offended anyone in Ohio here..but this one got me a bit excited!
TJ

TJ

This response submitted by John on 1/9/05 at 10:44 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Never said take the deer to Ohio to be mounted. or WV. Just told the kid take the deer home to have it done. why pay the extra pa. taxidermists charge, to have a puney western Pa. buck mounted. also, I never said the extra cost of a Pa. Mount was entirely because of the screwy testing. a lot of it is due to the great deal of time Pa. Taxidermist spend running to conventions, and doing competition mounts.

john

This response submitted by croc on 1/9/05 at 11:12 AM. ( ) 69.40.132.82

you might want to get your head out of your ass, because i have seen quite a few nice whitetails this year, since the antler restrictions have been in place (3 years) the quality of our deer herd has increased dramatically, yours is a typical Ohioan response, i went on a hog hunt in southern ohio this past sept, and all the owner could talk about was how our deer are starving, and cant grow any antlers, well i have personally seen 3 bucks taken this year that scored in the 130 and 140 class pope and young, not giants by any means but certainly not "puny". of course i'm not one of those over priced taxidermists because i havent been able to pass the test yet, maybe i should move to ohio because looking at the mounts on the wall of the place I hunted, you all care about big antlers but couldnt care less what a good mount looks like. Croc

Puny Western PA Deer?

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 1/9/05 at 1:11 PM. ( ) 66.211.207.254

Check with any deer hunter in PA and they will tell you that western PA, especially Northwestern PA, is producing large numbers of huge whitetails. Gary Alt's antler restrictions started three years ago and the results were almost instantaneous. This year, the average "puny" local buck scores 140. Of course, you probably don't want to hear from me since I'm one of those "high-priced taxidermists" that spends all his time running around to conventions and competitions trying to improve my work just to justify my ego and my $525 price tag.
Steve, check out my website and if you're in the area give me a call. I've got some great spots for those puny whitetails.
And John, crawl back under your rock-- I know I won't be seeing you at any conventions or competitions this year.
Good luck Steve.
Paul Czarnecki
www.tristatetaxidermy.com

Now here you go

This response submitted by John on 1/9/05 at 2:34 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Just the response I would expect from Pennsylvanians. Rush In with speculation, and fill in the blanks to suit yourself. Fact, I am Not from Ohio. So croc's assumption of the typical Ohioan Response is like his handle, A croc. And Paul Is absolutely correct. I will Not be at any convention. Why Should I? I am Not a Taxidermist. And have no desire to watch a bunch of taxidermist strut around with their feathers puffed up, or hackles raised, depending how those that presume to be the end all of the biz judged their work.
However, I am a hunter, and an avid one. I hunt Pa, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, and Texas.
I will admit the antler restriction Imposed by Pa has helped some. But in general Pa. bucks are inferior to those found in the mentioned states. Pennsylvanians talk about 140 class bucks as though they are a rare treasure, and to most Pennsylvanians they are. However far more 140 class deer come from the other states I hunt that pa can ever hope to have. unless they transplant breeding stock from elsewhere. I see several 140s every year, and generally pass on them. this year alone I took a 173 in Ohio. A 168 in Texas, a 181 in Iowa, and a 154 in Indiana. wile hunting in pa with My father in law In Tioneata Pa. North western Pa. the best I saw was a 130, and passed hoping for a better one. I wound up with a 120 class 10 point. That aged out By dental examination as a 3 1/2 year old. I have not drawn these conclusions on speculation, But rather years of experience. so don't try to make it sound as though 140 class bucks are tripping over themselves. Even the long tined wide spread Pa deer. Usually lack the mass to achieve good scores. I would like to see some documentation that shows the AVERAGE Pa buck Is in the 140 class.
Not unlike Taxidermist. Hunters like to pass on pertinent information helpful to other hunters. After all The guy was talking from a hunter's standpoint. Sorry if you Pa guys are offended. But the fact is the kid can probably get his deer done cheeper in his own state.
Show your class and call some more Names. It does you Justice.

WOW!

This response submitted by Paul C on 1/9/05 at 3:05 PM. ( ) 66.211.207.254

With hunting prowess like that John I will be looking for your latest article in North American Whitetail! Great accomplishments to be sure! However, I have a floor full of contradictions to your assumptions. I would be happy to send you a digital pic of the proof. Instead of hunting the "traditional" mountain areas around Tionesta try hunting the farm areas around Erie and Crawford County.
I too, hunt all over the country-- PA, NY, OH, Illinois, Kansas and Manitoba and mount deer from all of those areas. Illinois and Kansas consistently produce the biggest whitetails for me but, in the last three years, NW PA and Southern NY have come very close.
As far as Steve being able to get his head "done cheaper in his own state"--He has to kill one first! And if he bothers to check around he will find that taxidermists on the East Coast are, on average, considerably higher than the rest of the country. With all your hunting expertise, John, I'm surprised you didn't know that.
Steve, the offer still stands but with John's expertise you really should be listening to him. (check out the website anyway though).

John whoever you are you're full of crap

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/9/05 at 6:59 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.244

Sad part is most of us can see right throught the bullcrap and pathological lying but you don't know that. I'm from Indiana and back when I was doing deer (I specialize in fish now) I took in some really nice racks but not on a regular basis like you purport too. The scores you are purporting to take as some great white hunter are not even common place in Alberta. Go find someone else to blow a bunch of bull.

And BTW if you're not a taxidermist what are you doing here? Maybe a wanna be taxidermist?

Steve, as with anything else you get what you pay for.

Steve, Always remember....

This response submitted by Mac on 1/9/05 at 7:02 PM. ( vabowhunter@worldnet.att.net ) 216.54.8.18

what ever deer you harvest is a trophy, regardless of anyone elses opinions. If you haven't already, go to the top of the page and click on "taxidermists". There's a bunch of links for taxidermists in PA, including Pauls site. I grew up in Erie County, have seen the deer and have no reason to doubt Paul's statements. He's a straight shooter and calls it the way he sees it. Touch base with him and he'll give ya the straight skinny. Again, doe, spike, 6 point, 10 or whatever, doesn't matter what others think, the deer you harvest is YOUR trophy and YOUR accomplishment, you just have to get em first! Good luck on your hunt and above all else, Enjoy yourself!
Mac

Some people just do not know

This response submitted by John on 1/9/05 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Cecil You are a great one to talk, I have read many of your outrageous post in the past. Nice to see when factual debate is unavailable. You can still resort to name calling. the tool of the uneducated Mind. Don't know where in Indiana you are from. Don't care. but the fact is deer in the little Egypt region of Indiana on the average are far better than the average western Pa deer. So you don't see many big ones in Gary. Don't make you the Indiana deer expert fish man.
I understand Paul's aggravation, after all he is one of Pa's examiners. I realize he will defend the common wealth to the death. Now lets think about this. "This year, the average "puny" local buck scores 140." According to the Pa division of fish and game. there were 142,270 antlered deer taken during the 2004 season. If the average deer is 140 class. then for every 118 class deer there was one 162 class taken. That would mean there were at least 71,135 antlered deer taken in 2004 that scored above 140. The antler restriction must be working miracles. Because, according to the Pa. Division of wildlife. recorded trophy deer taken in Pa from 1929 to 2000, over 140 were 1543. This means the record deer harvest in a single year is grater that ten fold that of the previous 71 years. Quite a remarkable success story.
And this is the guy who decides who gets a taxidermy license?

It figures!

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 1/10/05 at 8:29 AM. ( ) 66.211.206.253

"Defend the Commonwealth to the death"---you've got to be kidding. As far as the Exam is concerned I'm not going to bother arguing with another stupid non-resident about something that doesn't concern him. You missed the intent of my post John. I said the average deer on the floor of my studio scores 140--NOT the average buck taken statewide.
The reason OH, KS, IL, and Iowa produce such large bucks is because of the abundance of farm land and inaccessability to huntable land by those lucky enough to draw a tag. Hunting the wilderness mountain areas of Tionesta and saying there are so big bucks in PA is about as foolish a statement as I have ever heard.
By the way, what ARE you doing posting on a taxidermy website? Steve asked for TAXIDERMISTS in western PA not armchair experts in Indiana with more opinions than intelligence.

here you go

This response submitted by Jim on 1/10/05 at 8:54 AM. ( ) 166.102.21.145

Check out huntingpa.com to see some pics of the deer guys harvested this year here in PA.

By the way I am also a taxidermist in PA.

I have also seen Paul's work (especially the waterfowl WOW)

Good Luck on your trip

What part of WPA will you be hunting?

You're still full of hot air John

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/10/05 at 2:30 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.152

and I'm no where near Gary Indiana. Used to take in about 70 heads a year but I'll stick to the fish for various reasons.

No one's being fooled John. Go to some gun rack Bubba site where you belong.

I have GOT to be an idiot to do this...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 1/10/05 at 11:12 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.11

I live in NY state, I hunt Ohio now and then and realize that the deer cant see the state line, and I think the PA exam is, well you all know what I think there...yet even I was offended by this post! Hahaha, come ON! PA taxidermists are very talented. Some arent. Same thing anywhere you go. A buck thats to be mounted need not be a certain size, just pleasing to the man who harvested it. To answer this post the way John did is silly. Notice I called noone a name, and I dont even recall why they call it the commonwealth, so I dont fit the criteria. The poor kid never said he was looking for the greatest chance at a trophy deer and chose western PA. He simply stated that his Dads friend lives there. Oh I dunno, perhaps this leads him to a hunting opportunity?

STEVE...itll likely cost between $300 and $500 to have that head mounted, give or take a few dollars. You might find one lower, or higher, but thats a ballpark figure. When youre out there hunting, drop by a few studios in the area, and view the work on display. In the meantime, check some local taxidermists in your state as well, just to compare. Good luck on your hunt. PA will be into year three of its antler restriction program, that and your close proximity to established big buck herds in nearby states might have you in a position to take a buck of a lifetime. I for one hope you do!

well said Bill

This response submitted by John on 1/12/05 at 10:04 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

At least you stated your opinions without trying to be condescending or insulting.
Nothing I said in the original post was untrue. Weather the Pa. Taxidermist like it or not. It was factual.

As far as Cecil Baird goes. No one really cares what you have to say. Most look at your posts in the same manor as they do flies a petty annoyance.

I have been coming to this site for several years. You do realize when doing a search on the Internet, if a question posed or answered on this forum contains key words. it takes the general public to this site. Making this. Oh Well! a PUBLIC site.
Every Moronic topic is taxidermy related from political debates, to the volume of condoms sold in the middle east. As long as a taxidermist poses the question. But as soon as someone posts something some of you do not care to hear. This site is a taxidermy site.
If you want this site to Be taxidermist exclusive. You need to have Ken remove it from all search engines.
Paul. I have read many of your posts in the past. Most often I have found them to be fairly reasonable. I try not to stoop to the level of some here, and name call. But I must say you are a bold faced liar. and a bigot. Here is the proof. In your original post you wrote. "This year, the average "puny" local buck scores 140." Then in your last post you wrote "I said the average deer on the floor of my studio scores 140--NOT the average buck taken statewide"
When In reality you said nothing about them being the average deer on the floor of your studio so the statement. "I said the average deer on the floor of my studio scores 140" was a lie was it not? Because that Is Infact not what you said.
Steve: think this over. Paul Czarnecki Is One of the examiners for the state of Pa. in their Taxidermy licensing. As such he determined in part the standard of workmanship all Pa taxidermist are held to. His actions and views, and even his standard of excellence are held in high regard by many Pa taxidermist. As is evident in their prompt rally to his defense here. But here is what Paul thinks about you and I. "I'm not going to bother arguing with another stupid non-resident" we are automatically assumed Stupid, because we are Non-Residents. Hey Paul, that deer your a mountin has crossed eyes. Aah! its okay. Its for a STUPID NON-RESIDENT, Funny how the poison Of bigotry can be unveiled when someone is angered.
Look at the arrogance these people have. TJ instantly began attacking Ohio, and WV. taxidermist simply because I recommended Ohio's Deer quality.
Crook believes "maybe i should move to ohio because looking at the mounts on the wall of the place I hunted, you all care about big antlers but couldnt care less what a good mount looks like. " This guy is not even a Taxidermist yet. And he is already so self absorbed he feels he should criticize the work of other taxidermists.
Steve I am not saying you should not hunt Pa. yes, their antler restrictions Have made good 8 points fairly common, and what one considers a decent 8 point is up to them. But as I said Don't expect a record book deer. When you score. bring your deer home. Swing by Mike's taxidermy In Ashburnham, Ma. Or stop by my house, In Ashburnham, on Sunset Lake. That is where I call home when I am Not on the platforms, or hunting. and I'll take you over to meet Mike. Oh, maybe he is not a world class taxidermist like those Pa. guys. but I have mounts he did 20 years ago. And they still look great. Last year he charged me $250.00 for a wall pedestal, that is great.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu