How active is...

Submitted by TeddyS on 1/28/05 at 12:06 AM. ( tmspeas"AT"triad.rr.com ) 24.31.102.0

the North Carolina Taxidermy Association? And what are the benefits of joining your state Association? Their website is kind of plain right now. If there is enough convincing info on this subject I would be more than happy. I would like to hear some input from the N.C. association members. Thank you for your time on this matter,
Teddy Speas

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Paying dues versus Exceptional Seminars!

This response submitted by Bruce Rittel on 1/28/05 at 12:45 AM. ( rittel@mindspring.com ) 207.69.137.136

I hear this as a common complaint - but consider the trade-off! For the price of your dues - you recieve an invitation to attend a yearly Convention and sit in free to some exceptional Seminars! Even pick up some supplies - postage free! You can have your work judged (yes - for a fee) and even meet people that are willing to discuss Taxidermy. Believe me - most of them are very open and share experiences.

But more then that - the organization supports your work. It's someone you can go to to vent your displeasure when the state enacts a law or restriction related to our profession. It provides an outlet for most of us that otherwise our complaints would fall on deaf ears!

Support your state's organization! They're on your side! We're not talking $200.00 a year for dues here - this is very cheap investment in your future!

I am a member of another association..

This response submitted by John on 1/28/05 at 2:21 AM. ( Jake2825@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

But I fully agree with Bruces statements.You will get no better evaluations and crituques than if you are with a state association or guild.John

Here's my take

This response submitted by George on 1/28/05 at 8:45 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

I was graciously invited to the Connecticut convention last year and while I sat at the table awaiting my 15 minutes of fame and glory, a gentleman seated across the table asked me the same thing. I promised I'd tell him in a second. (I don't do "speeches" well, but I enjoy talking to people) When I got up, I addressed his question anonymously and here's my answer. "NOTHING". If a person has to ask "what can this association do for me", that should be your answer as well. If comraderie, friendship, and sharing of like minded ideas isn't a magnet enough to draw you to a group, why should you go? Better yet, why should they ACCEPT you? All organizations, especially state associations, are usually living from hand to mouth anyway. The smaller associations are always teetering. They need every single member of theirs to ask, "What can I bring to this organization". They need you to work, always for free, to insure that the business and industry they support can survive. They need you to be ever watchful of printed media's tendency to degrade hunting and fishing and for you to write letters to editors and politicians to remind them that you, too, are humans deserving the same respect for their subscription fees as do the bunny huggers. YOU have to feel a debt of gratitude to those who've gone before you to make this day possible, and only YOU can make it a little better for the guys behind you. So my answer to that question is still "NOTHING".

As it turned out, the guy who'd asked me that question ended up cleaning up on the major awards at the show that night. I congratulated him on the beautiful work and I felt his embarrassment over his earlier remark. He told me, "You know, this is a great group of people. I think I'll stay joined." I told him I thought he was making a wise choice.

And what would this site be without George!

This response submitted by tomdes on 1/28/05 at 9:08 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.23

NOTHING... Thanks George, good post. It takes a lot of hard work by dedicated, non-paid members to keep these and any organizations afloat these days. It's the age of the times, what's in it for ME, I'm so tired of hearing that. How about just plain good old camaraderie to start with, I guess this is something you enjoy more as you get older. Sure these conventions cost you money, but the knowledge and experience gained is worth every penny. And if you walked away with nothing, then you NEVER asked a question, sad for you. Don't worry someone will keep these conventions going, to many people enjoy them.....

Teddy

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/28/05 at 10:21 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.134

Ever been to a family reunion? Thats what convention is like! A group of people who understand you and the things that drive you. Try going to the donut shop and getting advice on the best form for your next project.(LOL) Geo put it very eloquently. One of the better responses I've seen from him in a while yet so true. Not only are the supplies postage free but usually reduced. With any luck the little monopoly guy will be there from Tohikan and you can really clean up on some eyes! And usually the "Greats" of taxidermy are there to give seminars on their already made mistakes. It's like a drama student going backstage at the Oscars. Just don't be afraid to ask questions to other members with more experiance or the judges. And trust me, a critique of your hard work can hurt. These are the pains that will nurture you into the artist you long to be though. Go, take advice, give advice, enjoy somebody elses hard work, and GROW ! Enjoy! Peace- Jeff F.

Thank you all

This response submitted by TeddyS on 1/29/05 at 1:01 AM. ( tmspeas"at"triad.rr.com ) 24.31.102.0

Thanks for the input on this matter. I understand totally about "whats in it for me". I happen to be a life member of a non-profit club for certain retired and active people in sports entertainment,that has over 5000 members. And am part of the "behind the scenes" workings for the annual reunion in Las Vegas every year. And I know very well how many of the members of clubs are just that members. Alot of work goes on behind the scenes for these clubs. With minimal work from the members. It seams as though stuff is always put on ones shoulders or the same ones all the time. With little support from the club.My main concern is the amount of activity the associations have. I would think that associations have get togethers more than once a year. The north carolina association has very minimal information on there website. I have sent for more info. And odds are I will probably join. Once I receive the info I will contact the association with my questions. I was hoping someone from the NC chapter would post something here. But to no avail. I do apreciate the input from you guys though.

As far as the "NOTHING" statement, I respect Georges comments. And beleive it or not I have learned some things from George's other post on this site. But it would be nice to know what you would receive with your membership...ie...newsletters(with legislative updates) and such.

These and more questions will be ask when I receive the fore mentioned info. Thanks again for the responses I got,Albeit no ones post said they were in the NC chapter.
Teddy

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu