A felon teacher keeps her job.

Submitted by Hogger on 1/28/05 at 3:49 AM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

I can't believe what's happening in my small town. This teacher adopted two little boys. Soon she started abusing the elder one. She beat him with a club, tied a cord around his neck and swung him around the room with it, she hog tied him and stacked home items around him so that when she left the house he couldn't move because if she came home and found the items disturbed she would make him pay. She told him he was evil and that she hated him. This went on for years. Usually she would some home in an hour or so and he would obay. But on one occasion she didn't come home for hours on end and his hands were swelling up from being tied too long. He managed to dial 911 and told police that his hands were hurting. When police arrived they found him all tied up with rope burns on his neck. The woman was originally charged with 5 major felonies and plea bargained to two felonies that could get her 5 years each. She hasn't been sentenced yet. She is a teacher at a small local private school that the state has given so much atonomy that the state, by it's own rules, cannot interfere so it's up to that private school as to what they want to do with her. Well that school board has decided that she could keep her job because "what is alleged to have happened, happened on her own time and not on school time or school property". I am told by insiders that the school board is made up of many of her family and close friends. It erks the crap out of me that the public and especially the parents of the kids that attend the school have NOT been up in arms about it. Am I out of line for feeling the disgust that I feel? My kids don't attend this school so it's kind of not my business, but it just seems when it comes to kids safety it's everybody's business. I am contacting my legislature to ask them to make changes in the Dept. of Education guidlines on overseeing private schools. I'm not for big government but in this case it seems they just give these schools way too much "rope", no pun intended for sure! Just had to vent.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Nope

This response submitted by Michael Sestak on 1/28/05 at 6:15 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

you're not out of line, it appears to be a double standard in todays society when it comes to teachers.
if a student does something wrong or brings a pair of nail clippers to school they cry for zero tolerance...no excuses.
if the teacher does something of the same they want proof before they get punished and boy do they have excuses.
seems to me that zero tolerance goes both ways if you want to set an example and be a leader.

That's not the norm around here

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/28/05 at 6:56 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.228

If a teacher so much as breathes wrong they are out of a job. Must depend on where you live. I know because I'm married to a teacher.

Church schools sometimes dont have to follow the rules.

This response submitted by John C on 1/28/05 at 8:55 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I saw a news cast of something along this line. May have been the same one.

The rules for private schools are different than public schools in most states. This could be why the teacher is still there.

Not out of a job right off the bat Cecil...

This response submitted by marty on 1/28/05 at 9:03 AM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

ANY out of line activity - and I mean ANYTHING, and that teacher gets put on paid leave of absence until the matter is resolved. But that is with public schools. Private and Catholic schools (around here) is a whole 'nother matter. Still, I'm surprised that they would tolerate a matter such as this. I suspect that because it is just allegations at this point is the reason why. Although the PR issues would be more than enough reason to put this person on paid leave of absence...

The kids

This response submitted by Remmy on 1/28/05 at 11:41 AM. ( ) 69.179.3.175

What happened to the kids? I hope the crazy worthless b@tch doesn't still have them at home! It's such a sad thing to hear about things like this. That child will probably be scarred emotionally for life, and she needs her @ss put in jail, and SHOULD be out of a job.
Keep on contacting different agencies, until this woman is no longer allowed on school property! Good luck

She's convicted and awaiting sentencing...

This response submitted by Hogger on 1/28/05 at 12:56 PM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

Marty, the teacher was convicted so these are no longer allegations. They are a matter of court record and accepted fact. Remmy, the two kids she adopted are now in foster care and doing well. It's yet to be seen what long term effects the abused one will suffer. John C, I believe the broadcast you saw was the same story. I heard it had made national news although I have not seen the national broadcast myself. Yes the rules for the private school are different that public, but in this case it's worst because they didn't have any rules regarding these sort of things to begin with so they made decisions as they went along on this one. In our public school systems teachers ARE held to high scrutiny for sure and no way no how would this teacher keep her job if she was in public school. State law here says NO convicted felon can stay on as a Dept. of Education employee. That means janitors and all!

Holy Cow!

This response submitted by marty on 1/28/05 at 1:10 PM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

CONVICTED and they still have her on the payroll? If it's public knowledge, please post the name of the school and it's location...

Then...

This response submitted by Craig on 1/28/05 at 1:20 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

We can all write a letter of contention as to why this school is allowing this to happen.

My wife is also a teacher but she was fingerprinted, at her cost, as part of her certification requirement. I'm not really sure what the fingerprinting is for as she was also fingerprinted and criminally investigated for her Concealed Carry Pistol Permit which was obtained almost at the same time. I bet they didn't even go that far with the background check on the teaching certification. Of course that's New York for you.

Hate to say this after all of the election banter, but...

This response submitted by jerry C on 1/28/05 at 4:08 PM. ( ) 69.168.105.130

Cecil, I have to agree with you. (About the teaching, that is) I was a teacher for 30 years and the last 15 years was a veritable hell. I used to take my students shooting every week at an indoor range in town on my own time. Well I almost lost my job when an antigun nut found out. I also refused to give a varsity letter to a girl on the track team as she didn't run in any of the meets. She was just out for a letter. Again, the mother tried to crucify me, and I was barred from any coaching position for the rest of my career.
I blame it on the liberals, however, as they have totally taken over public education. Next time, to protect your wife, be sure to vote Republican!

That's funny Jerry

This response submitted by Cecil on 1/28/05 at 7:16 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.228

It's the liberals again? Seems to me our fearless leader is pushing for more standards for teachers as if they don't have enough right now. And then there's underfunded NCLB mandate. You know as well as I do it's not the teachers -- it the kids and their selfish irresponsible parents that don't control them. All the pressure is being put on the teachers, but if a kid doesn't want to learn or be in school, or is disrespectful it's just plain dumb to go after the teachers.

Some of the problems I have seen come from school board members that have no prerequisite qualifications to run for school board. Some are a real piece of work. I know of one that maintained that computers are evil and they have no place in our society. Duhhhhhh!

Look at how much...

This response submitted by marty on 1/28/05 at 9:50 PM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

...time WE waste on these computers! They ARE evil!

This private school is...

This response submitted by Hogger on 1/29/05 at 4:11 AM. ( ) 4.7.212.134

A Hawaiian emersion school for Hawaiian kids only and is private. They have shown total disregard for the local publics displeasure for the whole thing so I doubt writing letters from abroad would help. Thanks though. I did email the big media people but haven't heard from them. Although some people have seen it on some "mainland news (I'm in Hawaii). I can't think of the school name right now because it's a long Hawaiian name and it evades me right now. SADLY I understand that since much of the kids who go to the school, their parents are in some way related to this woman, the ones who have the loudest say (the parents) have quetly gone along. The whole thing sounds so "cult-ish" to me! Somewhere along the line I think many a person in this injustice will have to pay the fiddler some way some how.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu