Websites

Submitted by Wally B on 1/28/05 at 9:15 AM. ( SWtaxidermy@aol.com ) 152.163.100.202

For those who are considering a website, just thought I would throw a little pitch for my wife. She can build you a great one, but is a little higher priced than Nutty Host.

$100.00 to build and $20.00 per month to host. You can check mine at SouthernWildlifeTaxidermy.com

Thanks

Wally

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

?

This response submitted by Outsider with honest opinion on 1/28/05 at 1:49 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

How can you possibly justify charging that much more and expect to get good results? Nutty Host sites are are very professional, user friendly, and get proven results across the different search modes. P.S. Didn't you just post this in a different thread?

Hosting?

This response submitted by Lou on 1/28/05 at 3:13 PM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 207.199.2.34

What kind of connection are you hosting that site on?

As slow as it went for me I would think about upgrading that line to something with a little bit bigger pipe before you provide a service to paying customers? You may start having some upset customers?

How can you possibly justify charging that much more ?

This response submitted by Bob on 1/29/05 at 2:13 AM. ( ) 200.68.102.61

HA! what a statement made by "Outsider". And I suppose when you quote a price for a mount and the customer laughs at you and tells you Bubba will do it much less doesn't urp you? Bullshift! You guy's are no different than everyone else. You want it "Given" to you. Check out some REAL web design companies, you sure won't get it for nothing. I am not knocking nutty host jason, he does a fair job. He makes little to nothing on design,(just like the taxi working for wal-mart wages or less) and makes his money on your monthly fee. It's not hard to buy multi domain hosting space for 39.95 a month then split 20 domains on it for 15.00 a month. The "Cheap" design is just a hook. Anyone can build a site with simple drag and drop web authoring programz. People never cease to amaze me. My 2cents worth.

WHAT?

This response submitted by Lou on 1/29/05 at 8:56 AM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 64.78.67.122

Bob,

I agree, but I'm willing to bet Wally's wife is hosting that site on her home machine, which probably has a "home plan" DSL connection or cable modem, which doesn't have the right bandwidth for the job or service their offering.

If they aren't hosting it themselves then they should really think about going to another hosting company.

The site wasn't that bad, but it wasn't anything that someone armed with, frontpage (Web Authoring Tool\Program) and some time to learn, couldn't do on their own. But just like taxidermy and the sportsman, the sportsman could take a bunch of time to learn taxidermy but he\she doesn't have time nor the patience to learn, that's what you and I get paid to do. You learn the taxidermy art and give them a service that they don't have time or ability to learn.

That's exactly the same concept that Wally's wife trying to follow. She's offering a service to folks that either don't have the ability, time, patience, or desire to learn simple web design. If she gets paid to do it more power to her.

Would I pay that much probably not, I have the ability to do this on my own and I like that way. Is it too much? I'd have to agree, but if folks are willing to pay for that service so be it i'm glad for her! Maybe I should start doing this :-)

My 2cents :-) I think I read your post right :-)

I recommended Jason from the get go...

This response submitted by marty on 1/29/05 at 10:54 AM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

He does a good job and yes you are correct guys that he makes nothing on the design but on the monthly residuals. Wally, no offense but your site is "okay" but not in the same ballpark as Nuttyhost. Although your wife certainly has done a better job than I could do!

There's a lot more to it than just getting something "purdy". The design process by a professional will be efficient and well thought out. Load times will be minimal. Also a good web designer will be able to recognize key words to put in that will get you top hits. Somewhat important now, but will become more and more important as this internet thing starts to catch on (lol)!

Typically a professional website design will run you somewhere around $150-$300 per page. If I'm not mistaken Jason also provides minimal updates (photo swaps, minor text changes, etc.) free with his monthly service. That in itself is a steal...

My 2 cents worth

This response submitted by Wally's wife on 1/29/05 at 1:04 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

Your wrong about the "home plan" DSL dont have it and as far as the bandwidth goes there is more then enough!

Comment on website slow on loading

This response submitted by Wally's wife again on 1/29/05 at 1:08 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

To the one about the the site being slow to load try cleaning out your cache and running Redgit to clean all of your junk that on your cp.;)

No, it's slow...

This response submitted by marty on 1/29/05 at 8:22 PM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

Wally's wife - as I said it's not a bad job. But it is indeed slow the first time you load it. Try accessing it from another box and/or clean out your temporary internet files/cache and you'll see what I mean. It's either the (lack of) bandwidth or the pictures and/or some other stuff is too beefy and is causing this. Probably the latter since you state that it's not the bandwidth. I've got a cable connection and what you suggest cleaning is not going to make all that much difference if any. Besides, if it's only doing it on your site, then it's your site. You may wish to check into it...

No, its slow...

This response submitted by ww on 1/29/05 at 10:39 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

No it is not slow on my computer

So what kind of connection do you have?

This response submitted by Lou on 1/30/05 at 8:41 AM. ( ) 64.78.67.122

So what kind of connection is it? Either the images you loaded are megs in size or you have a slow connnection. Either way, you should fix it before you charge people. It's not slow on your computer because you have the images cached! I didn't so they had to load up the first time. Even if it loads fast the second time I think peoples customers don't want sit and wait as the page loads :-)

I'm not trying to piss you off, I'm trying to give you construction crictisism. That way you don't get bit in the butt when you do others pages for them.

I work in the IT field and my pc (at least I hope) is as fully optimized and there's is minial "junk" (as you call it) on my PC. I'm on a cable modem and I've tried it at work on the T1 we have, both times it was sssssllllooooowwwwww.

Exactly Lou...

This response submitted by marty on 1/30/05 at 10:30 AM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

That's what I was saying. WW probably accessed it the second time and had no problems. Either that or she has dial up service and she isn't noticing the difference between the normal SLOW download times and this one. My bet the images are too big. There is web design software that you can test download times on btw WW...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu