Well it happen to us

Submitted by Kim on 1/28/05 at 11:40 AM. ( Bubba's Taxidermy ) 128.192.139.89

Hi All,
Been so busy havent been on much. But wanted to share this.
Today I get a phone call from a young lady wanting to know how much we cahrge for a whitetail shoulder mount I told her then she says well its fleshed out already I told her that it was still the same price then she asked how long would it take to get it back I told her right now its 6 months and we have alot of work in front of her then she begans to tell me all about a friend that was killed last year and now his gradfather is dying and his last wish is to see the deer done before he dies
Well maybe I didnt handle this right I told her that in that case we could do it and have it to her in two weeks for $1000 dollars
well she didnt take that to well and keep saying we could do it cheaper and fast because it was fleshed out already!

I guess it takes all kinds.
Hope everyone is busy! And doing well

Kim
Bubba's Taxidermy

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Kim

This response submitted by Jim B on 1/28/05 at 11:53 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

I think you are out of the will.

Hard to Believe !

This response submitted by Chris on 1/28/05 at 11:55 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

I really find it hard to believe that her grandfather's last wish would be to see a deer mount. I value all my mounts (customer's to) but if I was in that position I would would want to see all of my family & friends, not my deer heads. I think you handled it fine, everyone has feelings but it's hard to work your business around a story like that. Good Luck !

heres one

This response submitted by fishhead on 1/28/05 at 1:00 PM. ( ) 65.143.141.253

I had a man and his daughter call and say they were on their way to come get deer 40 mile drive.they never showed.Didnt think much about it until the family called a few days later and they had wrecked on the way to my shop and killed the man and his daughter.I did reduce the price about half as I had heard about the wreck on the radio.Terrible deal.

You did right

This response submitted by Bradlee on 1/28/05 at 1:05 PM. ( ) 12.215.49.73

If the old man's last wish is to see a deer get finished I would have said "tell him to hang on for six more months " . I don't see where offering a faster time for a higher price was out of line at all . Sounds like another type that has that awful story ready at all times just to get something done faster and maybe try to chew down the price.
Bradlee

i guess ol' granpa

This response submitted by Griz on 1/28/05 at 3:39 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.49

ain't worth a thousand bux huh? Guess he's gonna get buried in a cardboard box underneath the ol apple tree out back

Similar situation

This response submitted by Jerry S. on 1/28/05 at 10:40 PM. ( jds@jerrystringer.net ) 12.147.154.6

Back when I had my shop I had a couple of guys come in one day and asked about a mount that had been brought in to see how close it was to being ready. I didn't recognize them and asked why they were checking and they said that the mount was for their grandfather. He had been diagnosed with terminal cancer since bagging the deer and only had a few weeks to live. They wanted to surprise him with the mount since it was the biggest deer he had ever taken.

I made a phone call and verified their story and told them I would call them within a week. Luckily I had just received the tanned cape a week or so before and had a form in the shop that would work. The next day his deer was put together and put under a fan to dry.

After a couple of days the finish work was done and I called them to pick it up. They came out that afternoon and got it to take it to grandpa. Boy, were they happy! I didn't charge any extra for the rush job, either.

I later heard that grandpa died a couple of days after that. I was just glad that I could do something to brighten his last days a little. I think if I had not gotten the mount out I would have felt pretty lousy for not doing it.

Just my $ .02 . . . adjusted for inflation.

Jerry S.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu