Old timers, I have a question

Submitted by Scott Schwinn on 1/28/05 at 5:11 PM. ( sschwinn@earthlink.net ) 199.240.134.22

In 1982 the NTA convention was held in Wichita, Kansas. At this convention was a supplier that had forms of gameheads and small game mammals, and all of the forms were painted with a creamy/pink latex paint. Does anyone know who this supplier was and where can I find their forms? I bought a large stalking open mouth bobcat form left turn, from them and this cat is mounted on the mantle in the trophy room. Many customers want a cat just like this one and I have searched and searched for a form close to this one and cant find one. This cat was 34 lbs, very large and the form is higher off the ground than most that I see today. Any help is appreciated.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

call the NTA

This response submitted by james on 1/28/05 at 7:50 PM. ( ) 207.69.136.202

Try calling the NTA and ask if they have any records from that years convention, you may be able to get the names of the suppliers from them. Worth a try i would think, good luck. James

Don't count on it

This response submitted by George on 1/28/05 at 8:01 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

Records from that era were hand scribed notes mostly and after the inception of the PC , what wasn't handscribed was lost. There wasn't that much to lose, sadly as poor records keeping was the norm at that time.

Also, without risking too much credibility, I seriously doubt a form manufacturer making that kind of form lasted too long in the business. Literally hundreds of suppliers have come and gone since that time. Additionally, regardless of what I hear, I know forms from 20 years ago are hardly what the ones we have today are. Most taxidermists are expected to modify existing form. Jan Van Hoesen has a complete line of bobcats and I know Joe Coombs carries Ken Walkers huge Canadian cat line.

Mine are mostly Lynx

This response submitted by Ken Walker on 1/28/05 at 9:37 PM. ( () ) 154.11.98.45

But Joe does have a lot of bobcats from other sculpters.

Atcheson

This response submitted by Alex on 1/28/05 at 10:43 PM. ( ) 66.32.84.238

I have a feeling it was atcheson taxidermy supply.
I remember something about those creamy looking mannikins.

Don't know if they are still in the business of supplies.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu