Neep some ideas

Submitted by Jack F on 1/28/05 at 5:52 PM. ( wildexpressions2003@yahoo.com ) 12.152.154.52

I need some ideas. I have been asked to do a taxidermy demonstration this Sept. 25th 2005. It is the National childrens hunting and fishing day. The Delaware County Sportsman's Association is planning a huge event at the local Fair Grounds. They had there first meeting last night about the event. Gander MT sent a rep. and they are going to put on one heck of a good thing for the youths from what I gathered today. I was thinking of maybe mounting a deer head to show how they go together. The event is only one day long from 9am-5PM so the deer head thing is out the window as it will not be dry to be able to finish it. I would think the kids will want to see something from start to finish. I was thinking maybe a fish. I haven't done any birds yet but will have them under my belt shortly so I may see how they go and maybe do a duck. Any ideas from any one out there that has maybe done something like this would be great. This is all non proffit. Thanks Jack F. Wild Expressions Taxidermy

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Do it!

This response submitted by Little Al on 1/28/05 at 6:00 PM. ( ) 207.14.78.31

Hey Jack, I have done demonstrations at schools in an hour. I would take a small fish, a yellow perch, and demonstrate skinning fleshing and mounting. I'd also bring along a dried unfinished mount and show the prep before painting. And I'd have a finished one to show and I'd talk about painting. You could mount a deerhead for the kids, but take a dried unfinished one with you as well to demonstrate some finishing work. Have fun!

OK

This response submitted by Jack F on 1/28/05 at 8:35 PM. ( ) 12.152.154.42

Thats a good idea Al, I am sure I'll figure out what I will do for the day thats why I'm starting right now looking. Thanks

If it were me . . .

This response submitted by Jerry S. on 1/28/05 at 10:29 PM. ( jds@jerrystringer.net ) 12.147.154.6

I would put together a video that shows short vignettes of each step of mounting several different types of animals . . . deer head . . . lifesize . . . birds . . . fish . . . etc. It won't need any sound on it - just the video. This would show a lot more than just mounting one critter.

Keep the video running the whole day and just have some mounts in your booth. That way folks aren't bored by watching you sew up an incision. Plus, if you were mounting, you would have to constantly stop and answer questions - slowing you down even more.

Another plus is that you don't have to drag all of the necessary mounting equipment and tools back and forth to the show.

You would be able to direct all your attention to talking to the public rather than doing the mount.

Good luck!

Jerry S.

Multi-staged

This response submitted by A.E. Walsh on 1/28/05 at 10:32 PM. ( info@aewalshtax.com ) 64.24.85.42

Chances are most kids aren't going to watch from start to finish (8 hours) anyway. Maybe something--even a deer head--that could be done in stages would work best. For example, if you brought a deer, bring four deer at different stages of work so the kids that spend an hour or two with you could see those various stages. It means a lot of jumping back and forth for you, but sure would make it interesting for the kids.

Good luck with the event. Thanks for volunteering!

Best,

Abe

I Wouldn't Do A Demonstration

This response submitted by Old Fart on 1/29/05 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 170.224.224.122

I have done that before and you can wind up holding too much of the crowd. That messes up the flow through the show, especially if the area is limited. And there are other people displaying their wares too, the idea is to introduce kids to this stuff, NOT to teach them taxidermy. Put together a head form with antlers, eyes and ears, without the cape, then explain that to them. Have lots of stuff they can touch, that means keep the finished mounts out of reach. DON"T show any HUGE trophies......try to emphasize that everyone's trophy is important reguardless of size. Forget the DRAMA(snarling bobcat or coyote)......show them how real wildlife looks in the wild.

So far so good

This response submitted by Jack F on 1/29/05 at 1:59 PM. ( ) 12.152.154.42

I like the video idea alot and old fart has a great idea as well. Maybe I will put those two ideas together and do the show both with videos and a couple manikins in diferent stages. Thanks keepum commin

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu