HELP! (hair slippage)

Submitted by Joe SC on 1/28/05 at 9:43 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.202

I tanned about 5 deer capes and they turned out fine except for the last one.I thawed it out in the frig and this evening I took it out and started to stretch it and the hair and skin was slipping! The only thing I did different was that I neutralize only 30 minutes. Can this cause slipping? I neutralized the others about 1 hour.(I used WASCO acid crystals and liqua-tan) and can the cape be saved? And how do you tell when a cape is neutralized? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Orange button

This response submitted by Joe SC on 1/28/05 at 10:47 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

I know I knowwwwwwww! Hey that orange thing really works if ya type the right question!

slip never heard of it

This response submitted by me on 1/28/05 at 11:02 PM. ( ) 64.242.58.21

I use dry preserve and have never had one slip go figure

Me, you are so full of it! Check the pH of your DP!

This response submitted by JOhn C on 1/29/05 at 1:09 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Joe part of the problem is when people roll the a cape up and freeze it.

It may take a week or longer for that cape to freeze. even if its just 3 days until frozen thats a long time for bacteria to work.

Then even below -0 bacteria is still working, it is ONLY SLOWED DOWN!

The length of time you neutralized cape at 30 minutes means nothing.

ITS THE pH so if the cape has a pH of 9 it will slip in a very short time, just minutes.

You neutralized to the pH your tanning chemicals need to bond to the cells in the leather. Most are 4.0 to 5.5 pH particals of Hydrogen.
So within these few lines is where you went wrong with that one cape.

nothing helpful, but

This response submitted by Sherrie on 1/29/05 at 1:09 AM. ( ) 209.142.136.97

You got that ORANGE button down right! I looked for 3 hours the othre day for something and got NOTHING that had to do with what I needed.

What were you looking for Sherrie?

This response submitted by JOhn C on 1/29/05 at 6:32 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

I find that after 3 hours using the search button you found nothing on your subject.

So what is the subject? Exactly what words did you use?

PH

This response submitted by Joe SC on 1/29/05 at 8:23 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

My acid bath was a steady 2 and my neutralizing bath was at 6 the only place the hair is slipping is behind the ears up to the y incesion.After I gave it some more thought I remember I had trouble hydrating around the incision the skin was folded over in this area and the bath was not penetrating the skin so I worked the area with my fingers and opened it up and I might have left it in the hydrating soulution too long.

YOur neut. bath was a bit high, in the neutral range

This response submitted by JOhn C on 1/29/05 at 10:52 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

6 is high enough to slip the hair on a weak cape.

Now you said
"I had trouble hydrating around the incision the skin was folded over in this area and the bath was not penetrating the skin."

So was the skin salted and dried or what? There is a lot of information missing in the first questions.

So was it dried, you hydrated it or what.

The folded over areas shoulder still have rehydrated in the pickle.

Retrace your steps on this cape.

Sometimes if the pickle is under 2pH, the pickle will not penerate the skin. that why I use a higher pH! 3 to 4 sometimes especially on flint dried hides.

I once put a caribou in a pickle and 6 months later even at pH of 2 it was still hard. Later raising the pH to 4 allowed the the to suck up the pickle. SInce then never never go to a low pH under 3.0

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu