Question about Pricing

Submitted by t.d. on 1/29/05 at 11:10 PM. ( ) 170.215.156.136

I charge $300.00 for a basic whitetail shoulder mount. It costs me roughly $100.00 dollars which includes(all supplies, shipping and a little overhead). Am I charging a fair price for myself?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Due the search, or read Kenneth Bowmans post

This response submitted by JOhn C on 1/29/05 at 11:47 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

There is a link to Kenneth's article and you price and your appr cost is not right.

Try this link I think thats where the article is.
www.TaxidermyReference.com

No Comprendo Senoir John!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 1/30/05 at 8:28 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 64.12.116.133

That is a very good article but that web site is history. Hopefully Uncle G will revive that article. It's a good one from a great guy! Peace- Jeff F.

Time?

This response submitted by Old Fart on 1/30/05 at 12:16 PM. ( ) 170.224.224.155

You should also have included the time you "think" you spend doing the mount. Make sure you include the time spent with the customer both when he brings the mount and when he picks it up....The time spent in maintainance of tools and shop....The time spent in maintaining books, dealing with phone calls, UPS deliveries, mail correspondence, ordering materials and then sorting them out when they come...The time spent running to pick up the materials you buy locally....Don't forget the time spent at lunch and coffee breaks, your employer(YOU) is legally obligated to pay you for this time. Afterall, if you were working for McDonalds flipping hamburgers, they would be paying you for all the time you are there, not just the few minutes a day that you "actually" flip the burgers. Now I realize that figuring out how much of this time should be charged to "a mount" can be a bit difficult.

My shop expense last year was just over $11.00 per hour. That's taking into account ALL my expendatures, including taxes, insurance, license fees, maintainance, vehicles, etc, etc.

I figure that I AVERAGE 14 hours per deer head, that's taking into account ALL the related time involved, not just the prep, mounting and finishing time. That makes my expense $154, somewhat higher than yours! Using $300 for a deer head that is just a bit over $10 per hour that your customers are paying for your time.

Now we need to talk about PROFIT! This should be figured on your cost of doing business, in this case we will use the $154(more realistic than your $100 figure). Your wages of $10 per hour are TOTALLY seperate from your profit! If you figure you should make 25% profit on your expenses($154) you are now making $7.70 per hour. If you figure 33% profit your wages go to $6.80 and if you figure 50% profit(remember this is only figured on your cost of doing business)
you are now making $5.50 per hour.

Now, you tell me! ARE YOU BEING FAIR TO YOURSELF?

Pricing

This response submitted by t.d. on 1/30/05 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 170.215.144.97

I have a small shop next to my house. I have very little operating expenses so my overhead is only about 1.75/hour. Thats based on 15 working days per month 8 hours per day because I'm only part-time. Overhead for a deer is about 20.00 for 12 hours work. By charging 300.00 I make a 65% profit, then after I pay myself 16.00/hour I make a 7% profit. So I put about 20.00 off of a deer back into the shop. I don't pay taxes because I'm not doing enough business a year. Its 1,400.00 min. in my state. I do only a handfull of deer a year. I've done my homework with my 11 years in retail(full-time job). I just want to share my figures with some of you and find out if maybe I'm missing something. Thanks

Oh my God!

This response submitted by Dan on 1/30/05 at 4:03 PM. ( ) 216.255.210.214

If are you are serious, you are soooo far off. You need to do a lot more homework. $1.75 an hour overhead? Go to the search icon and type in pricing. Read up. Good luck to you.

Pricing

This response submitted by t.d. on 1/30/05 at 6:16 PM. ( ) 170.215.144.32

Like I said, I have a small shop with little expenses. I don't pay rent. But I figure in what electric and phone that I bum use off of the main house bills. I'm not a full fledged business with every little expense. Thats why my overhead is so low and my prices might not be as high as yours, but I make a decent profit. It sounds like Old Fart has a good size business on his hands and has alot of expenses. Just take your figures and scale them way down and see how things change. Thats me. Take out your rent,insurance, taxes, etc.I'm just setting my prices where i'm at NOW. Not based on YOUR expenses.

Your Numbers Don't Add Up

This response submitted by Old Fart on 1/30/05 at 10:51 PM. ( ) 66.119.33.155

Fifteen working days per month, eight hours per day....making under $1,400 per year? That would be 120 hours per month, doing less than 5 deer a year! Am I missing something here?

why

This response submitted by Travis on 1/31/05 at 8:21 AM. ( ) 68.102.253.173

My question is why are you so concerned about keeping your prices lower than everybody elses...it`s not a "low price" competition between taxidermists...actually it should be just the opposite---your only hurting the market by trying to keep your prices low...300.00 was the price 15 years ago...Your customers will pay the extra money if your turning out quality work...you should want them comming to you because you do good work---not because your the lowest priced in the area...

I personally feel that people base their prices on their confidence level...that`s ok at first when ya first start--but after a few years it`s time to get with the program...time is money, and my time is pretty important to me...best wishes

Still Waiting t.d.

This response submitted by Old Fart on 2/1/05 at 10:09 AM. ( ) 66.119.33.155

I would really like an explaination of your figures. If it means that I can make some money I'm certainly willing to learn. Just using the numbers that you gave, I figure you are making under $1 per hour before taking out expenses. Of course, I am ASSUMING that you put in that 120 hours a month EVERY month to make that whopping $1400.

Right now your numbers make that CAREER at McDonalds look real appealing!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu