Curious

Submitted by Jeff F. on 2/2/05 at 1:19 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.100.202

I've been contemplating a web-site lately and have have been checking out quite a few different ones to get some ideas. I've noticed that some reputible people of this forum have species on their price lists that I'm sure they haven't mounted yet. I ask... Is it misleading to a customer to list species you've not mounted if you're prepared to investigate and do what it takes to produce a quality mount? Any thoughts appreciated. Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

No Jeff

This response submitted by cur on 2/2/05 at 1:44 AM. ( ) 4.226.60.11

Not at all, IF you feel capable to do the work advertised. If you don't feel competent or capable, don't list it. Simple as that.

Why would it be misleading?

This response submitted by Todd B on 2/2/05 at 9:36 AM. ( ) 4.224.54.117

I have a ton of things listed that I have not done. But chances are they are no different to mount than any other mammal. If you have the confidence to do it then go for it chances are it is not going to be any worse than anything else. When a potential customer asks if you ever mounted something, never tell them no just tell them you can do it. Otherwise they may not give you the chance to. I was told once by taxidermist friend of mine that the omly good taxidermist is one who can hide there mistakes.

Todd B

How many taxidermists list prices and get backlogged...

This response submitted by Craig on 2/2/05 at 11:35 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

with work and end up wholesaling it out? How many don't do turkeys or have all their squirrels done by David Ellzey? Or have all their waterfowl or fish wholesaled out. I know one that sends his waterfowl to one wholesaler that is very reputable and the wholesaler sends them back in lots the day he mounts them in a wet condition so the taxidermist can pose them and adjust feather tracts to his liking. This saves him from having to deal with skinning, degreasing, wiring, etc. while he continues on his backlog of more desireable species that he deals with. It sometimes is a courtesy in some cases for a taxidermist to become the middleman for his/her client by handling these specimens with other reputable taxidermists. Do you list tanning as a service and then send these pieces to a reputable tannery?

If you feel you can't do the work or don't want to or you don't know of a reputable wholesaler that can assist you with certain species then just reject that work or don't list it.

It is always a great idea to go to your state and/or regional shows to view work of other taxidermists. When you see something you like follow up with the artist and ask those pertainent questions like, "Do you do wholesale pieces for other taxidermists?". You might get the answer you are looking for.

I don't

This response submitted by Alex on 2/2/05 at 4:11 PM. ( ) 66.32.144.188

Have one and I don't think I need it, iam turning down work as it is.
It is being like that for over 20 years.

It might be good for you if your starting out though.

Sometimes I get calls asking if I have one so they can check out my work, I tell them drive over and look at it and I'll make some expresso coffe for you, Usually my wife does that, this kind of treatment seems to have work well for me.
I tell them you can't see the deatils such as muscles and veins in a flat pic, so come over.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu