Groundhog

Submitted by - on 2/2/05 at 5:47 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.78

Did the groundhog see it's shadow today, or not? I can't find the answer. I figured you taxi's would know... you should be mounting them in sun-dials by now. :)

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

He seen it!

This response submitted by Little Al on 2/2/05 at 6:11 PM. ( ) 207.14.78.130

If ya had TV or radio on today ya couldn't hardly miss the report that ol' Puxatawny Phil saw his shadow. The crowd booed. Six more weeks of winter, unless ya live in the far nort like me where we can expext it until June or thereabouts.
Peace!

yep the lill varmit saw his shadow

This response submitted by gantry on 2/2/05 at 6:13 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.178

6 more weeks of winter, well at least north of the Mason Dixon line

I cant trust a big rat

This response submitted by walt on 2/2/05 at 6:47 PM. ( wlbkan@yahoo.com ) 65.144.247.197

Its hard to trust the critter, Here in northeast Kansas today in my back yard we counted 30 robins in the trees and on the ground , sounds like spring to me. yee-haw

It would be hard for him to see it.

This response submitted by Todd B on 2/2/05 at 8:34 PM. ( ) 4.224.141.46

Considering he is in my shop drying as we speak.lol

Todd B

Would you

This response submitted by Raymond on 2/2/05 at 9:47 PM. ( ) 66.32.144.188

In the USA please explain what is that all about a groundhog seeing its shadow.

Raymond, The Bahamas.

Raymond,

This response submitted by Mr. T on 2/2/05 at 10:05 PM. ( ) 64.31.6.166

Go to Google Search and look up Potsitony (sp) Phil or Groung hogs day

G H D and Grandmas recipe

This response submitted by ByGolly on 2/2/05 at 10:13 PM. ( ) 63.170.184.201

Groundhog Day

February 2

Punxsutawney Phil

Groundhog
February 2 is a sacred day.

Punxsutawney Phil is the world's smallest and furriest weather forecaster and February 2 is his day.

February 2, 2005 - around 7:30 am ET - Punxsutawney, PA

Phil saw his shadow and thus we are headed for 6 more weeks of winter!

The legend of Groundhog Day is based on an old Scottish couplet: "If Candlemas Day is bright and clear, there'll be two winters in the year."

Every February 2, people gather at Gobbler's Knob, a wooded knoll just outside of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.

Residents contend that the groundhog has never been wrong.

The ceremony in Punxsutawney was held in secret until 1966, and only Phil's prediction was revealed to the public. Since then, Phil's fearless forecast has been a national media event.

The groundhog comes out of his electrically heated burrow, looks for his shadow and utters his prediction to a Groundhog Club representative in "groundhogese." The representative then translates the prediction for the general public.

If Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow, it means six more weeks of winter. If he does not see his shadow, it means spring is just around the corner.

Approximately 90% of the time, Phil sees his shadow.

Phil started making predictions in 1887 and has become an American institution.

My Grandma loved groundhogs:

GROUNDHOG AND SWEET POTATOES

1 Groundhog
Cold water
Salt
Pepper
Sweet potatoes or white potatoes
Cornbread

The animal should be dressed as soon as possible and well soaked for several hours in cold, salty water. All excess fat may be trimmed off after the meat is cold. Parboil to remove and remaining fat and drain well. Place in a moderate oven and pack sweet potatoes or even white
potatoes all around. Salt and pepper the meat and bake unti brown. Be sure the potatoes are thoroughly cooked. Serve with cornbread and use the heavy gravy that forms during baking.

Umm Good That's what grannies grounhogs are umm good.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu