Is it Legal?

Submitted by Buckeye on 2/3/05 at 6:13 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.202

Is it legal to sell mounts in Ohio?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

>>>>>>ASK the local wildlife officers<<<

This response submitted by KIM on 2/3/05 at 6:21 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

Call up your local DNR, wildlife Officers and ASK THEM. This way you get the most current information....not always accurate, but it is about as close as you can get to the truth!

You need to contact....

This response submitted by Coyote on 2/3/05 at 6:23 PM. ( coyote@wideopenwest.com ) 69.14.89.168

The proper authorities in Ohio to fine out the answer you're looking for. They will give you the yes or no.

Coyote

I was told NO by a conservation officer in Ohio

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/3/05 at 7:44 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.133

but as stated you need to check for yourself.

Probably wants to know

This response submitted by - on 2/3/05 at 8:35 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.55

Because there was an ad on eBay a couple of days ago that advertised hundreds of mounts, including native game animals (WT deer, squirrels) and the sale was a public auction to be held in Ohio.
I was under the impression that over 50% of the mounts in the pictures are illegal.

Just answer the guy's question.

The answer is YES but only if the animal is not a game animal or if it is not native. So, wolves and lynxes (fishers, too) are ok but not white-tailed deer or grey, fox, red squirrels. (Abert's squirrels would be ok, so would arctic ground squirrels. The key is native.)
The answer is NO if the animal is a game animal. NO WT DEER! Mule Deer and Elk should be ok.

These guys (ohio) really need to put a FAQ on their website.

I guess it depends who you talk to

This response submitted by Heath Cline on 2/3/05 at 9:40 PM. ( heath6799@yahoo.com ) 12.156.65.165

I asked my local game warden this question. He told me that as long as the animal, including native Ohio animals, were legally taken, they could be sold. I am sure migratory birds are out of the question, but every other mount, antlers or sheds is fair game.

Heath who's the Warden you talked to?

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/3/05 at 10:22 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.155

The one I talked to is Bob Hesterman that also runs a fish farm in northwestern Ohio.

Cecil

This response submitted by Heath Cline on 2/3/05 at 10:29 PM. ( heath6799@yahoo.com ) 12.156.65.169

Isn't it funny ! I am not saying who is wrong or right, but wouldn't you think there would be a set law on this ! You would think all wardens would be on the same page on this ! This is just like shed antlers. I have had wardens tell me that you could pick them up and keep them. And I have had other wardens say that you can't.

It's ok boys...

This response submitted by Craig on 2/3/05 at 10:45 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

most of the cops don't know the gun laws in California either!

Heath you got that right!

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/3/05 at 11:13 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.155

I even had one warden in Virgina quote me an outdated law, and when I tried to tell him that had been ammended and I had the revised version in front of me he still refused to budge! He was going by a statute that was several years old and I had the revised version of 2004!

I would like to know who your warden is as I think the one I know would be interested to find out this is not cut and dry. Email who it is would ya? I'm not getting anyone in hot water just trying to make a point.

And just think these "officers" are.....

This response submitted by Kim on 2/5/05 at 3:46 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

Handing out tickets for violations......I wonder when they are updated (if ever) about the laws they are suppose to enforce?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu