Why can't I access my Website?

Submitted by Cecil on 2/4/05 at 9:41 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.237

Still waiting for my server to fix the situation where I am the only one that can't access my website. It's been verified it's not my computer. My small town server and telephone company has said they have brought in an engineer from the outside as they are stumped. It started when my server did an upgrade.

Any ideas? Anyone heard of this before?

It's been since November and I'd like to update my website.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Well...

This response submitted by marty on 2/4/05 at 9:52 AM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

I would a second opinion from another computer savvy person. The first thing you need to do with any computer problem is try to isolate the problem. You've isolated it to either your computer or the line into your computer. Swap out a known working computer into that line. (Which btw, the cvomputer guy/gal that checked out your computer should've done). Now if it works, you know it's your computer. If it doesn't, then you know it's your ISP's problem. If they can't fix it then you need to change ISP's.

(My money is still on your computer)...

Cecil

This response submitted by tomdes on 2/4/05 at 9:59 AM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.30

I checked your site again http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/taxwork.htm still fine from the outside. The server upgrade raises a red flag to me right away. What was the extent of the upgrade? Operating system, firewall, other server software (anti-virus) or was it dasd. Maybe we could narrow it down to a possible cause with more specs...

Dial -UP?

This response submitted by Bill Paterson on 2/4/05 at 10:08 AM. ( ) 199.243.21.76

Cecil

Are you using dial-up? If so, get a buddy with dial-up to a different ISP tp "loan" you his dial-up number, user id and password.
If you buddy can access your web site, you can easily verify whether you can also through his ISP.

I've been in the data networking business for years, and there is nothing more frustrating then what you are going through. The sad fact of the matter is that, even if you prove its not your computer, you won't be a lot further ahead. ISPs are nortoriously incompetent at problem finding and resolution.

BTW, what error message are you getting when you attempt to connect?

Bill

The Obvious

This response submitted by Ken Edwards on 2/4/05 at 10:12 AM. ( ken@taxidermy.net ) 67.140.199.38

I'm assuming you already have cleared all cache memory ("Temporary Internet Files") as well as all history and attempted to reconnect. Sometimes a corrupted cache file will appear to prevent access.

Bill...

This response submitted by marty on 2/4/05 at 11:49 AM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

...that depends on whether or not they have a monopoly in your area. All you gotta do around here is threaten to switch ISP's and they will fix the problem. But 9 times out of 10 it's NOT them. And you will pay for their time IF they find the problem was NOT on their end.

Cecil, if you had a competant computer guy look at your box/situation then he should've done all this stuff. That's what he gets paid for. The fact that everybody else is accessing it tells me that it is most likely your computer or a setting on your ISP's server. Or both. You need to verify this first before getting too huffy with your ISP. And verify that it's not the line coming into your house either. Once you're 100% certain that it's not either, then make your darn ISP fix the darn problem - YOU"RE PAYING FOR THEIR SERVICE...

Cecil...

This response submitted by tomdes on 2/4/05 at 12:51 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.30

We should get some things cleared up so there is no confusion, did your PC get upgraded or did the ISP server. When you said "When my server did an upgrade", I'm assuming you're talking about your ISP providers server. Refer to your computer only as a PC, then we'll know what you're talking about, because it's a hell of a lot different than a server. Next, if you are getting to this site then either you are using another persons PC, or you're not blocked from the WWW or internet, which would be more baffling. Let us know your situation..

DNS

This response submitted by Remmy on 2/4/05 at 1:39 PM. ( ) 69.179.19.220

Need to find out what kind of upgrade they did to the server. One thing that may possibly work is to check your TCP/IP settings, and set DNS setting boxes to automatically detect. But, it's extremely hard to troubleshoot a PC problem without being there looking at certain things. Sounds like your helpdesk may be somewhat incompetent at your local ISP/Telephone company. Be firm with them, and go through all of your settings with a helpdesk tech. Sounds like this will be s simple fix, just need to find the solution. Sounds like they might be overlooking something basic.

Cecil (website)

This response submitted by Randy on 2/4/05 at 2:27 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

What is your site address, I would like to vist.

Up above...

This response submitted by ... on 2/4/05 at 3:27 PM. ( ) 148.183.241.30

Posted 3rd from the top...

Thanks guys I'll consider your advice

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/4/05 at 11:05 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.237

Really appreciate it.

Marty, the wife has a lap top that uses the same DSL line. She can't access my website either so it's not my computer. BTW, if I change internet providers my access becomes a long distance charge as the small town phone company has a monopoly.

Tomdes,

When I refer to the "Server" I am referring to the Internet provider not my PC.

Bill, I was not able to access any of the addresses you gave but I want to try again later as my server (provider) goes down from time to time.

Cecil

This response submitted by Wildwood on 2/5/05 at 7:16 AM. ( ) 63.184.128.92

I use to have ligtel to ,with the same problems after their so called "upgrade". Then after many calls to their tech support and then asking why were having so many problems which became alittle heated they disconnected my service with out me even knowing for a couple days. When I did call back ,they said it was a misunderstanding and they were sorry. Get a new service provider I did.

Okay then Cecil...

This response submitted by marty on 2/5/05 at 4:21 PM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

...You have indeed isolated it to either the incoming line (which I doubt is the problem - especially if it was working prior to the upgrade.) Or their server. Since it's DSL and probably the same ISP ran the line THEY should be responsible for fixing the problem. The squeaky wheel gets the grease my man. Tell them you haven't been able to update your website and you could be potentially losing business. Therefore ask for a credit AND to fix the problem ASAP. At least that's what I'd do but you're a nicer guy than me - lol!

Clarification...

This response submitted by marty on 2/5/05 at 4:24 PM. ( ) 24.15.103.189

...If everybody else can access your site, then it's probably just a setting on their server ain't meshin with your pc's/nodes. Could be a matter of simply pinging the machines? Sounds to me like they either don't have a cluie what they're doing and/or they don't care...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu