thoughts on competition piece

Submitted by JEM on 2/4/05 at 10:20 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

I've gotten the itch to compete. My goal is to learn and get better. I need your opinion - I'm thinking of using a winter coat whitetail doe. Would the fact that it is a doe hurt me? What pose would look good and help me reach my goal - learn?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I guess I

This response submitted by Mike on 2/4/05 at 11:02 AM. ( ) 64.91.85.162

would do a buck just because adding the antlers adds one more thing to get right, most customers want bucks mounted and if your goal is to learn, why not learn about what you would more commonly mount, a buck? Just my opinion.

But if it isn't possible, I am sure you will learn plenty from a doe mount.

Thanks Mike

This response submitted by JEM on 2/4/05 at 11:44 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

I should have been more clear. I've been at this a while so when I say learn, I mean learn the higher level stuff. Just wondering if I 'lose points' because it is a doe?
I'm thinking a 1/2 body pose laying in a snow scene chewing on something - open mouth.

JEM,

This response submitted by Jim B on 2/4/05 at 12:01 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

Buck or doe shouldn't matter.

Sounds complicated to me

This response submitted by James Morrison on 2/4/05 at 4:15 PM. ( ) 208.21.207.131

I'm still trying to get that blue ribbon (I've got a low, middle and high red in the profesional class) on a basic shoulder mount W/T Deer, before I move on to doing feet and scenery and open mouth. For your first comp. you need to work on the basics --- eyes ears, ear butts, skin placement, hair patterns. Master the basics, learn from the crtique you will get and then move on. Just my 2 cents and thats about all it's worth.

competition piece

This response submitted by Aaron Honeycutt on 2/5/05 at 12:11 AM. ( mhoney"AT"mindspring"DOT"com ) 207.69.12.41

JEM, Certainly entering a doe will not go against you. You are very clear that your goal now is to learn more so a half body pose, though more difficult, is a fine choice. Entering the competition can be all about ribbons or it can be all about getting the one-on-one critique from a skilled judge. As an occasional participant in competitions I can say that if it were all about a blue ribbon for me I would be very disappointed in the competition experience. In short--do the mount you want to do and enjoy, Aaron H.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu