Cecil, Ohio Laws on the Sale of Wild Animals

Submitted by Heath Cline on 2/4/05 at 6:08 PM. ( heath6799@yahoo.com ) 12.156.65.186

Cecil,
I forgot I got this from my warden just 2 weeks ago. These are the exact words off the paper from the Ohio DNR.

Sale of Wild Animals

Sales which are permitted by 1501:31-15-02:
* Live furbearing animals,game quadrupeds or wild birds may not be held in captivity nor sold except as provided in Section 1533.71 of the Revised Code or as provided in the provisions of the Administrative Code. Provided further:
* Hides of furbearing animals legally taken during the open season may be bought or sold during the respective open seasons;
* Legally acquired carcasses of opossum,raccoon,beaver and muskrat may be bought or sold at any time;
* Legally acquired bear claws,teeth,hair and hides may be bought or sold at any time;
* Legally acquired deer hides,feet and antlers may be bought or sold at any time,provided said parts of deer are accompanied by a signed statement which lists the previous owners name and address,where and when taken and the number bought and sold until said deer parts are put or manufactured into final products;
* Legally obtained tails of squirrels may be bought or sold at any time;
* Hides,skins,feathers or parts of wild animals raised under a propagating permit, pursuant to Section 1533.71 of the Revised Code may be bought and sold provided the seller maintains records of species obtained, from whom and when the animal or part of the animal was purchased or obtained:and if sold as a mount,record the species and to whom and when sold;
* Legally obtained turkey feathers,bones,spurs,feet and beards may be bought and sold at any time.

Cecil, you can ask your warden about these!
This is typed information from the Ohio DNR and handed to me personally from my Game Warden.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Thanks Heath

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/4/05 at 10:31 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.237

I have forwarded this to the conservation Officer in Ohio that I know, and will let you know what his comments our. It seems to open the door to at least the sale of some taxidermy work.

Seems to me it's only commen sense to allow the sale of legally aquired animal parts and mounts but government does not always follow common sense.

Heath, here's what I got for a reponse

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/5/05 at 9:58 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.144

rom the Ohio Co:

"Yes that is accurate info. Mostly animals raised in captivity under permit such as pheasant and quail fall in that section."

but

This response submitted by Heath Cline on 2/5/05 at 10:09 PM. ( heath6799@yahoo.com ) 12.156.65.194

not all of that is about pen raised animals. This section covers both as I am sure you read. But both you and I will more than likely never get the same answer from two different people. HAHA

You're probably right

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/6/05 at 8:23 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.217

But personally I wouldn't take a chance selling mounted game that was not pen raised etc.

I didn't see anything about fish mounts did you?

Heath I the CO still maintains that...

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/7/05 at 9:48 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.193

not all mounts can be sold.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu