I am losing traps some how to animals and Im not quite sure

Submitted by Matthew on 2/7/05 at 2:20 PM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 209.184.112.50

Hey guys can you help me out Im expierencing some problems on my trap line here in west Texas I set a one and half coilspring trap the other day at a cubby on a rocky hillside for ringtail cats and I used a morning dove carcass as bait the dove was killed here in Texas during the legal season. anyways I checked the trap two days the next day nothing then the second day the whole trap was gone I had the trap anchored to a rock which the trap chain was tied tightily with bailing wire to a very large flat rock, the country is very rocky so I cannot use stakes here since the soil is very shallow. The next day the bailing wire was broke the trap was missing and the cubby was torn to shreds wich is made out of rocks and sticks. I found claw marks on the rocks big scartches I have caught a grey fox before at this location and a ringtail and they never got out of there with the trap before do yall know what could do this Do you have any suggestions on how to stop this missing trap problem or should I use a drag and what type of animal do you think did this ?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Mountain lion

This response submitted by Alex on 2/7/05 at 2:22 PM. ( ) 66.32.107.33

Too big for your trap, probably walking around with one toe in the trap,lol

Probably a yote, instead of cat

This response submitted by Wiley on 2/7/05 at 2:50 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.193

a one and a half? I've lost a bunch of them when coyotes first invaded my country when I was fox trapping, stakes and all, if the animal stayed in the trap very long at all the circle size of destruction to the set should tell the story

I would bet alot that

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 2/7/05 at 3:07 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

it is still illegal to use the morning dove or any game animal or parts thereof in any way on that or any trap set. You should be using a grappling hook as a drag. Bailing twine is for amature sets as an attachment wire. Do it right or dont bother, you owe that to the critters and the sport.

Coyotes

This response submitted by Brian on 2/7/05 at 3:09 PM. ( ) 67.50.234.184

How long are your trap chains? Coyotes will jump up and down when they are caught, and if you have a short chain they will pump or jack the stake right out of the ground. Go with three feet of chain and you will solve the problem.
Brian

wire?

This response submitted by Brian on 2/7/05 at 3:19 PM. ( ) 67.50.234.184

Sorry, i just skimmed through your post and didn't catch the bailing wire part. Jim is right use a good drag with a long chain. The longer the chain the better 8'+ when using a drag. You can still drive a 30" stake, even in hard ground, with a small sledge. I used stakes at most sets when I trapped in Arizona and the ground was very hard. I have an old miners pick with a notch cut out of the flat side that I use to pry the stakes back out. You need to get rid of the bailing wire though.
Brian

just a guess...

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/7/05 at 10:10 PM. ( ) 67.138.8.50

Bobcats respond well to cubbies, and take days sometimes to find sets, so my guess is a bobcat. Im with the others that suggest a drag, a hooked drag, with chain, buried in rocks. By the way, usually you can SMELL what did it, if you have a good sniffer.

Mathew

This response submitted by Jim B on 2/7/05 at 11:26 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

I would have said coyote,but big scratches in a rocky area could mean mountain lion if you have those in the area.Some times a toe caught lion will hang up for awhile in a small trap.It will shake it off before long if that's the case.The 1 1/2 should hold Texas bobcats.If I were trapping in coyote country,every set would have a coyote size trap,regardless of the target.I have used drags a lot,but in lion country I don't anymore.I have seen them take a drag 1/4 to 1/2 a mile.On dry ground and rocky terrain,you might lose a track.I double stake or chain or cable the trap to a solid tree.That way a lion has a lot better chance of shaking the trap,I don't have to waste a day ,wrestle with a PO'd lion or wonder if he's out there wearing a trap or if he just covered ground and then got out.I agree,guys,I never liked wire either.I would rig for the big stuff and lighten the trigger for ringtail sets.

The obvious guess is a human being

This response submitted by jt on 2/8/05 at 1:39 AM. ( ) 68.103.148.172

Those freakin' humans have removed a lot of my stuff over the years.

reread my friends

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/8/05 at 11:26 AM. ( ) 67.138.11.249

Sure, that size trap will hold bobcats. But he stated that the trap was GONE. Im assuming here that its STILL holding whatever it caught!

I think it was a coyote I found alot of fresh droppings

This response submitted by Matthew D. on 2/8/05 at 11:48 AM. ( fishandfurs@hotmail.com ) 209.184.112.50

It most likely it is coyote since I found coyote droppings on the bluff canyon where I trap and however the strange thing was I used hawbakers wildcat number two altough ringtails and bobcats responds lure not coyotes.

You need Swivels

This response submitted by Scott on 2/8/05 at 4:00 PM. ( ) 199.240.134.22

No matter what you are setting for, always assume that you may catch something bigger than you planned, never ever use bailing wire, use cable or chain rigged with a minimum of three swivels, one at the trap, one in middle of chain and one at stake or drag. I like to use extra long cable with a quick snap on the end, you can even use an old tire with the rim in it for a drag, they might pull it away, but it is easy to find, plus it serves as a curiosity attractant. Don't give the anti's any ammunition by using sub par equipment, we don't need critters out there with a 1 1/2 running loose, this is poor pr.
Using the dove may also be illegal as it is a migratory bird. Use this as a learning experience and try not to repeat you mistakes.

hahaha, dont underestimate the cat lure!

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/8/05 at 10:10 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.5

Canines respond well to cat lure. Predators are very competitive. Theres not a bobcat here for miles, but I still use bobcat gland at some of my fox and coyote sets. I didnt trap this year, but a friend of mine did well so far. He has almost 200 reds and 43 coyotes this year.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu