is there salt in the air?

Submitted by Griz on 2/8/05 at 9:38 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.11

i was just wondering if the air had a salt content like it has moisture content. I am sure if it did "absorb salt" that our studios and shops would have a pretty high level.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Yes And Pepper Too

This response submitted by Scaredofgriz on 2/8/05 at 9:52 PM. ( ) 12.73.44.246

But no malt vinegar, steak sauce or ketchup. You go figure.

i ain't that scary...

This response submitted by Griz on 2/8/05 at 10:14 PM. ( ) 69.66.87.124

i was just noticing how stuff seems to corrode no matter how i put it away. I know i had no salt on my fan the last time i used it and now it is froze up, it's not just that but other stuff seems to rust faster in my basement, and i was wondering if salt was carried into the air as my pickle evaporated or my capes dried. And i know i had no salty water anywhere near my fan.

Griz, check the pH of your air.

This response submitted by Glen Conley on 2/8/05 at 10:22 PM. ( g.conley@verizon.net ) 70.104.116.172

Tongue in cheek kidding aside, "pickle evaporating" caught my eye in your post.

Run a web search on the acid you are using for your pickle to see how "evaporative", or "fuming" it is. The usual routine, caustic or corrosive fumes. Cover your pickle bucket for starters.

Griz,

This response submitted by Todd B on 2/8/05 at 10:49 PM. ( ) 4.225.16.214

Pickles need to be covered in my opinion. That way it will cut down on evaporation. I think it would also take less acid adjustments.

Todd B

There's salt in the air

This response submitted by Hogger on 2/9/05 at 4:17 AM. ( ) 4.7.219.33

In Hawaii. Surrounded by the Pacific Ocean you bet. Cars rust faster here and steel buildings aren't that popular. The closer you live to the beach the faster things rust.

see.

This response submitted by Griz on 2/9/05 at 9:12 AM. ( ) 69.66.35.129

i told you i wasn't that scary.... I didn't even begin to think about the coastal states, especially hawaii. I know we have to deal with road salt and brine in the winter, poor maine prolly has to deal with salt brines AND salty air! remind not to buy a pickup from maine!

Thanks for the responses, i have a board i cover my pickling vat with.

I figured maybe saltiness of the air was actually a legit thing, like humidity or air pressure.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu