opinions needed

Submitted by kirk on 2/9/05 at 12:19 PM. ( ) 24.225.16.76

opinions are needed from taxidermists on my situation. I gave a local taxidermist starting out a ram cape and horns to mount in a shoulder mount. The cape and horns have been damaged beyond repair due to his freezer breaking down before the project was completed. Currently we are now dealing in small claims court, and the question being struggled with is how to put a price on or what was this trophy worth? The ram was obtained on a archery only ranch 1000 miles one way in Tx.
Thank you for your opinions.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

How...?

This response submitted by Danny on 2/9/05 at 12:23 PM. ( ) 65.214.185.14

How do the horns get damaged from the freezer breaking down? The horns should be fine, and if it was the taxidermists fault for not checking his/her freezer, he/she should have to replace the cape.

Why,

This response submitted by Becky P on 2/9/05 at 12:29 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

if it was such an important trophy, did you give it to an inexperienced taxidermist? And like Danny said, the horns should be fine. What it is worth is the cost of a replacement cape. BP

You do not need our opinions.

This response submitted by Todd B on 2/9/05 at 12:43 PM. ( ) 4.224.159.196

You need to contact a lawyer experienced with a situation like this. We are not lawyers and should not even attempt to advise you. I agree it was stupid to take it to an inexperienced taxidermist, So you are to blame for that. You should take all the money you are saving from not getting it professionaly done and buy a new cape.

very long story

This response submitted by kirk on 2/9/05 at 12:52 PM. ( ) 24.225.16.76

The horns got damaged due to not being removed from the cores? and eventually rotting? he is actually on the 3rd cape (just found this out), but due to the horns rotting had to use liberal amounts of epoxy on the outside to attach the horns? and on the outside of cape. as to why give him this, was trying to give a local young guy a chance to get him started.

Horns don't rot

This response submitted by Evelyn on 2/9/05 at 1:05 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

Kirk, ram horns DO NOT rot. Even if the horns were damaged from let's say over maceration to get them off the cores (which in itself is still highly unlikely), it doesn't take a genius to repair them. Fairly easy to do. Something is not right here and is being left out of the story. Have you actually seen the horns lately? And he is on the THIRD cape? Good grief man, pick up your horns and take them to someone who knows what they are doing. On the cape, you should be getting your deposit back for one thing, and then have the taxidermist replace your cape. Ram capes are not that expensive. For about $50 you should be able to find a suitable ram cape.

I understand you giving this newcomer a chance, but then again because of this you also took a chance. Seems like you lost on your gamble.

Am I the only one?

This response submitted by Danny on 2/9/05 at 1:43 PM. ( ) 65.214.185.14

That is finding the thread funnier and funnier. I can't stop laughing, thinking about this kid in way over his head, destroying 3 capes, and some how managing to ruin the horns too. I don't mean to laugh at other people's misfortune's, but when you take something to somebody that inexperienced, and he actaully excepts it knowing that he doesn't have a clue what he's doing, disaster is bound to follow. Talk about leaving a path of destruction behind you.

Kirk, youre type are the armpits of the world

This response submitted by Jim Marsico on 2/9/05 at 1:43 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

Kirk, if you took him the mount to "help him out" why are you now taking him to court? I think from what I have read that you are a butt head cheap a-hole. The horns sould be fine and capes off those type of rams are easy and inexpensive to come by. Get a life.

Rotting horns

This response submitted by Becky P on 2/9/05 at 1:46 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.136

that's how you get the cores out in the first place. BP

my opinion

This response submitted by jim on 2/9/05 at 1:54 PM. ( ) 63.227.249.26

Your'e just looking to sue this poor kid for enough money to go on another hunt for "free". What a complete ....... you must be!

Heck soak it all in Krowtann, it'll come out in the wash!

This response submitted by OLD PRO CROW on 2/9/05 at 2:18 PM. ( ) 68.156.127.162

KIRK
Birds of a feather, ain't gonna give ya much sympathy here....you probably got taken in on the much cheaper price quoted by the newbie there in Kansas and we ALL know the rest of the story....sometimes ya get what ya pay for.....for the cost of legally suing the guy over a 300 dollar head you could probably take a trip to Alaska......grab the horns, the deposit, contact somebody who has a few of them farm sheep under their belt and write it off as a life lesson, there is no free lunch...NO FREE LUNCH

LMAO......WE have heard this one many times....LMAO

This response submitted by You know who..LMAO on 2/9/05 at 3:04 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

LMAO...Just a second while I regain my composure::.....LMAO--I am sorry, but I can't help but agree with some of you about WHY would "KIRK" trust something so "important" with the unqualified new person? Just to save some money? All because of money and something for free or whatever... I can't help but laugh at people and say, you took a chance and you LOST. Take responsibility for your decision and live with it....LMAO

Rotten horns ?

This response submitted by Alex on 2/9/05 at 4:08 PM. ( ) 66.32.122.243

Now I can die happy , I have heard it all.

Yeap El Cheapo Taxidermist and El Cheapo Hunter got together again, LOL, lmao

doesnt that take balls?

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/9/05 at 9:50 PM. ( ) 67.138.11.245

Hes going to give some kid starting out a chance...then comes here to ask how to procede in sueing him! Kirk, you want some advice? Start using your head. First, you know damn well youre treading on thin ice here. YOU go do the footwork to find out a replacement cost, starting where you took the animal from. Then go to your lawyer and tell him youre a sh*thead, but youve decided to be a decent person instead and work this thing out with the kid the DECENT way. Then teach the kid a TRUE lesson and make the best of it, so maybe then he will learn not to get in over his head. He will learn to process the mount as it comes in to avoid this kind of thing, and youll have a future taxidermist you can deal with.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu