Bobcat Ideas?

Submitted by Scott on 2/10/05 at 4:02 PM. ( sschwinn@pottcounty.org ) 199.240.134.22

Last night I took in a Bobcat that is 36" to base of the tail, I'm looking for a left turn laying down form that is somewhat close. Research has one that is 32" long that I have used before and can add extra foam in the middle, however this cat is so darn long and slender, only 17" in chest and 18" in belly that I don't want it to look out of proportion. Also I am still requesting information on the supplier that painted their forms at the NTA convention. Does anyone carry extra large bobcat forms?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Scott,

This response submitted by Jim B on 2/10/05 at 7:49 PM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

That' awfully long for a bobcat.Be care ful how you measure that.If the cat's back is arched,like in a fetal position,it will measure 2 to 3 inches too long.Make sure that the spine,including neck, is in the same position you intend to mount it in when you take your measurement.I don't think anyone has a laying form that long.

He's really that long!

This response submitted by Scott on 2/10/05 at 8:40 PM. ( sschwinn@pottcounty.org ) 65.41.219.42

I've mounted a lot of cats over the years and this one is very long. I did measure him in the position that I intend to use. I usually dont mind a form an inch or two short but this cat exceeds that, and he is very small in the middle, He is not skinny just sleek. I'm used to the big cats, but usually they are 32" long and around 20" in the middle. This cat only weighs 27 lbs. I guess I'll use the Research form and add an inch or two in the middle.
Thanks

Scott

This response submitted by Jim B on 2/10/05 at 10:29 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

That's a long one.If you still have that carcass,you might want to make a quick tracing of it.If I remember right,the legs on that form are a little short.If you lengthen the body and not the legs,they might look shorter.

Good Idea

This response submitted by Scott on 2/11/05 at 9:40 AM. ( ) 199.240.134.22

I like the idea of tracing the body, this will save a lot of time when I have to alter the form, I wouldn't even mind making a form for this cat, but I'll probably never see another one like this. Some times the little problems make this profession more fun in the long run.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu