Can ANYBODY answer this question? Can't remember!

Submitted by Kim on 2/11/05 at 5:30 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

We use artificial sinew to sew our game heads and life-size mounts.
It is super strong, flat and waxy coated and will last almost forever.

Background: We have had a few cones of sinew in storage. We got them out and the waxy coating leached out over time and now is causing the sinew to separate into the individual strands. As you can guess, it is a real pain to sew with this loose sinew. However the individual strands can be used for a multitude of projects in a taxidermy shop and surgery.

Question: What formula of wax & mineral spirits (?), or other ingredients can we soak the cones of sinew in to restore this "waxy coating" and restore the sinew to the original condition and ease of use?

Thanks,
Kim

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

WAX

This response submitted by lEAPIN on 2/11/05 at 6:23 PM. ( ) 68.102.141.186

I keep a cake of bee's wax in my shop and you can run any and all of your sewing thread through it. As you quickly move the thread back and forth through the edges of the cake of bee's wax the friction will melt enough to coat your thread.

A cake of bee's wax lasts a loooooooooong time.

Can the sinew be submerged to absorb the soft wax?

This response submitted by KIM on 2/11/05 at 6:50 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

Is it possible to liquify the way and submerge the cone of sinew in it and allow the sinew to absorb the soft wax?

Never tried that

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 2/11/05 at 6:57 PM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

but I also use bee's wax. Never dunked the whole thing in, just run the thread thru the wax as I use it. Doesn't take but a couple of seconds.

Industrial fabric shops have a tool for this

This response submitted by George on 2/11/05 at 10:18 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

It's like a cake pan and it's enclosed with the wax being forced into the cone of thread.

But Kim, there are so many far better threads out there to use. Why not convert to the stuff that DOESN'T have wax on it? The ultra modern threads like Fireline, Spiderwire, and Kevlar won't EVER rot and though some of the Kevlar bowstring thread has wax, the others never "melt down" on you.

Thanks George....

This response submitted by Kim on 2/13/05 at 1:26 PM. ( ) 69.171.249.149

George,

Thanks for your information. We are just trying to use our stockpile of supplies and then buy the new stuff. But, sinew is an old standby that still has it's applications.....was just trying to restore the orginal "experience."

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu