Ethics

Submitted by Bill Paterson on 2/11/05 at 6:51 PM. ( ) 199.243.21.144

Since doing a European Mount on the moose I shot last fall, I have been watching ebay to see what mounts go for.
I have seen a lot of mounts where the antlers have a very two dimenshioal, washed out appearance where it would appear that the antlers are restained sheds.

Mine have a beautiful grained, appearance.

Question:

Should/would ethical taxidermists declare that their mounts are composed of sheds?

Secondly,

I have seen antlers for sale (by so-called taxidermists) where a Boone & Crocett score was suggested, if not stated, even though the antlers were sheds.

Comments?

P.S. My mount can be seen at http://web.stn.net/beach/Moose_Mount/

Bill

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I would tell

This response submitted by DEERMEISTER on 2/11/05 at 7:04 PM. ( ) 155.84.101.2

If I mount sheds to sell, yes I tell the customer. If I had to give it a little color, I would let the antlers speak for themselves. If I did a poor job, it will show. If they look good enough that nobody can tell then that's great.

Bill..

This response submitted by tomdes on 2/11/05 at 7:10 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 24.58.211.158

Yes, they should declare whether they are sheds, especially if for some reason they ever come loose from the plate of which I've seen before believe it or not. It can never be scored either because they are sheds. Sheds can be scored, minus the inside spread, I don't have a problem with that, but it should be disclosed in the mount. Nice job on that moose antler mount...

Tom

2 Cents

This response submitted by ByGolly on 2/12/05 at 12:20 AM. ( ) 12.73.81.36

When selling a mount to an individual through an avenue like ebay what one is really selling is a work of art and as such, it is what the eye of the beholder thinks it is. I see no ethical problem not disclosing sheds ect. It's art simple and beautiful as it is and well worth the money.

However, it does bother me that B&C sit back and let there name be used. To me a B&C deer is one taken buy the rules and regs of the organization that qualifys for a record. It shows achievement as a hunter.

Then again, maybe, as it seems to be these days B&C is merely a system of measurement of antlers. Many deer are shot in pen raised settings, behind high game fences, and bred for antlers. These do not qualify for the record book and shooting one is no achievement other than being successful enough to afford the price of a ticket.

So, I feel that selling a mount or replica to a non-taker of the animal, falls into the wildlife art category. It is beautiful and it looks like the buyer wants enough said without having to disect it to pieces.

Or in the words of my deceased friend and lawyer, Lenoard Duffy, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then chances are it is a duck.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu