Van Dykes What A JOKE

Submitted by John on 2/11/05 at 9:23 PM. ( **** ) 204.73.103.253

I Dont Like to Bit** on here
But Just thought I would see how Manny other Taxidermist are having Trouble with Van Dykes I Called them 3 Days ago and Done a Check By Phone WOW they have lost me as A Buyer I Just ordered a Rederence Book
and so I called them today to see what the total was and they told me well we dont know we havent sent it out yet and I said What why not
oh it takes 24 48 hrs thats Bull S*** I also do a lot of Busness white McKenzieS and I love them they are the Best I have Found I can call them up and do a check by phone and the stuff I Buy is at my Door in 2 days
tops and the sad thing is I live in IOWA so you tell me
IF IT WASNT FOR US TAXIDERMIST WERE WOULD THE SUPPLY COMPANYS BE
But yet they Treat the taxidermist like crap Whats up with that
Just had to get this off my chest
John

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Same here!

This response submitted by Mike on 2/11/05 at 10:24 PM. ( msztmz@evertek.net ) 216.51.182.126

I placed a order two weeks ago for some coyote forms,ringtail,fox etc,got the eyes,earliners,jaw sets a week later,the invoice said the forms are made to order so i called them today and asked when they are going to ship them and the said they were behind and it would be a week or two before they ship them,what a joke!i know forms are not that hard to pour, I use to do deer forms for a taxidermy company here in Iowa and it doesn't take that long to do,wish Bob was still there maybe he could show them how to do things,also you could tell the lady on the phone was use to hearing from pist off taxidermist,no more for me!Mike

How about Ben Mears?

This response submitted by jerry on 2/11/05 at 10:27 PM. ( ) 69.168.105.130

I received an order and inside was a notice of a $3 increase effective 2 days before I ordered. No advance notice, no nothing! I have ordered from them for at least 2 years. I think I deserve at least a card explaining the upcoming increase. Not cool!

Same Here

This response submitted by Steve on 2/11/05 at 10:40 PM. ( ) 209.143.22.82

I had my first dealing with them a few weeks ago. I ordered 4 instructional videos, received two 7 days after order and the other 2 28 days later. They said they are made as ordered. Last week I orded a whitetail mounting kit, received it 5 days later but no manikin. Also making it as ordered. I'm in no way impressed with service so far and won't put up with much more!

Not Kool

This response submitted by John on 2/11/05 at 10:46 PM. ( **** ) 204.73.103.253

thats not Kool either sending you an invoice saying there was an increase why should the taxidermist have to pay it when we for 1 are not notified Before hand that is high way Robery the supply companys are making a killing off of us and then you have the dam increase on Shipping like UPS ect.... heck the cost for Fish eyes are out of this world know it is Just crazy I think and I would think all of you out there would agree we as taxidermist should be intitled to know about the increase's we should be sent a letter saying that as of such and such date there will be an increase WE NEED TO MAKE A STAND BEFORE ITS TO LATE and stand together that go's for you supply companys too
with out us what would you do then......... you would go under but since we need the supplys you stay a float Wake UP
I am Just so P***ED OFF it ant even Funny and you wont see the supply companys saying oh well we are sorry

biitch biitch biitch

This response submitted by A on 2/11/05 at 11:00 PM. ( ) 66.32.132.214

You guys you have all at your hands and you complain and b*tch, like little girls, how about 35 year ago we had to make our own manikins.
Shut up ! sisies

haven't had a problem

This response submitted by micheal on 2/11/05 at 11:08 PM. ( ) 68.113.181.241

I haven't had much problems with Van Dyke's, but I live in nebraska. Not to far away, usually ships with one day or two on normal ground shipping. The only thing I have had was billing. They usually forget to take the shipping out of my visa card. I don't use checks becouse it takes to long for the check to go threw. I don't now how you are paying but this seems to help me, I hope I don't have the same problems, becouse they would loose me also!

So, hears a ?. Ho is the best supplier?

I'll keep a better eye out for there mistakes, and make some more jugdment latter.

I agree with

This response submitted by John M on 2/11/05 at 11:11 PM. ( ) 66.190.42.199

A. If you need something order more than 2 days before you need it. It's called planning. I use Van Dykes for pretty much everything and even the littlest problems I've ever had were taken care of immediately. Actually, maybe it is the supply co's. that are to blame by offering kits and videos to every chucky that thinks this would be a easy way to make a living and it takes time to get their orders out, especially if they whine like you! So, in fact when it takes Van Dykes 5 days for something to get to me instead of 3 I'm not going to blame them I'm gonna blame YOU!

Well,

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 2/11/05 at 11:15 PM. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 63.162.143.21

I ordered a mountain lion from them the other day and they told me it would ship in 2 weeks. Fine. I adjust my work schedule and do something else until it gets here.

Any of you guys think you can MAKE a form for less money or in less time than it takes to order one? Adjust your prices and move on.

Bob Mead

I spend Thousands

This response submitted by RJ Simington on 2/12/05 at 12:41 AM. ( animalartsnw@charter.net ) 66.190.241.224

of dollars a year on supplies & if I waited until the last minute to get what I need I would never get any work done.
I have no problem with a supplier being behind on orders Hell most of us are behind on our work.
I spent about $8000. at Research Mannikins alone last year plus all of the other guys that carry what Research doesnt.
One thing about Makinzie & Vandyks, not all of there supplies are in stock at one warehouse, they might have to come from several different places & that takes time.

As was stated before order ahead of time such as when you get the deposit for the job & you wont run into a problem with being out of stock.
Two or three weeks shouldnt put you out of business & if it might then you are probably not cut out to be a taxidermist.

can you guys do it !

This response submitted by SOT on 2/12/05 at 12:49 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.135

Why don't you guys start your own supply house. Do you think your the only ones ordering supplies from these people, and if your so unhappy with them why do you keep ordering from them. I order from Van Dyke's sometimes, and the last time I ordered they told me up front that they would have to make the form I needed and it would ship within two weeks. I had it a couple weeks later, just like they said. If they tell you up front that there made when ordered why bitch when it does'nt arrive 2 days later. Get Over It!

Mid-Man Perspective

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 2/12/05 at 1:06 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 205.188.116.135

Van Dykes will take care of you if you plan ahead. McKenzie charges you because it's ready for you. YOU'RE the one placing the order. Jeff F.

fine for me

This response submitted by samantha on 2/12/05 at 2:46 AM. ( ) 211.27.78.153

Im in australia and i have had no problems with them and i deal with them thru a wonderful rep in another country, (new zealand),to boot!
Longest I've waited was about 10 days and that was because my flesher machine had to go thru our customs bs.

Same old problem

This response submitted by Wildwood on 2/12/05 at 7:16 AM. ( ) 63.184.145.105

Simply if you order from Van Dykes its going to take longer to get.
I live in northeast IN. and it takes at least 5 days to receive my order and I have accepted that.One other thing to do is ask them when this will ship after you make the order. Van Dykes are slow but this shouldn't slow your business down with proper planning.

Wildwood

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 2/12/05 at 8:56 AM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.100.135

Who are you?

only

This response submitted by lee on 2/12/05 at 9:09 AM. ( ) 170.224.224.149

i order from Van Dykes ONLY if i have to.

Wildwood

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 2/12/05 at 9:16 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

Did my own research Chad. I'll give you a call sometime. I've already got the #. Anyway, back to Van Dykes. I've heard rumors this past year that they're planning on building an additional wharehouse. Not sure if it would speed things up any. All in all I agree though, when I want stuff I don't want to HOPE that it will be here in 5 days. This is the key reason I switched from Van Dykes to McKenzie. Some of the old timers will say it's the new mentallity that wants it all and now but guess what? Thats the life we live! Peace- Jeff F.

It's Sad

This response submitted by Keith on 2/12/05 at 10:31 AM. ( ) 67.2.180.3

Years ago, before Van Dykes was bought out, they used to have more supply selection, more shipping options and faster service. We ordered a LS Caribou form yesterday and were told 2 weeks. I remember when they had same day shipping.

If most other suppliers are able to ship within a few days, they could too. You would think a major company like Cabela's would understand this.

No problems here

This response submitted by Travis on 2/12/05 at 10:35 AM. ( ) 68.102.253.173

Ordered a Dakota fleshing machine tuesday and had it this friday...I had to pay by COD so they told me to call and get the total in the next couple days...I called the next day and got the total..They`ve always been upfront with me

Mears

This response submitted by Steve on 2/12/05 at 11:03 AM. ( ) 70.182.149.132

I have never had any problems with Mears. Their service is the Best.
As far as prior notice of a price increase---How many of us notify
all our customers of a price increase BEFORE they walk in our door with a deer for us to mount? Plan ahead for Van Dykes--we all know they are slow.

Try this next time

This response submitted by Wally on 2/12/05 at 1:00 PM. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.251.183.1

I just went through nearly the same with McKenzie. I asked IF it was in inventory and IF it would be shipped on such a date well i got told asnwers to both questions that were WRONG .Getting yes and by tuesday..Well I got it friday and at the end of the fish class I was teaching.
Called WASCO several time's this last week to be told to hold on to place a order then minutes later to have someone come on line and tell me the office was closed and to call back later.Then unlike the other suppliers that will accept a PO over the Phone they took up more of my time to only tell me that they are unable to take this order and that I would have to fax it to them. Well if youve ever delt with a govt ordering system it takes a couple days to get another itemized PO through the system...Ill call McKenzie,Van Dykes or the fastest vendor Hide and Beak
Van Dykes is guilty of takeing orders and telling you it is in stock and will be shipped..We all know how that works..
In my own shop I order "weeks ahead" for every project.Bottom Line Hide and Beak is the fastest no frills supplier of materials,eyes and bulk items out there..If they only sold manikins I wouldnt call anyone else.........

My situation

This response submitted by James Parrish on 2/12/05 at 4:40 PM. ( ) 68.156.52.144

I have a small shop with almost no storage space. So,I can't keep lots of supplies on hand. I usually only order from McKenzie or Quality taxidemy supply. I always get same or next day shipping with them. As for Van Dykes, if I can't get it anywhere else,I'll call them. Otherwise, I don't buy anything from them.

mears

This response submitted by charles brown on 2/12/05 at 6:08 PM. ( browntriumph12@aol.com ) 64.12.116.135

"I have never had any problems with Mears. Their service is the Best."

I agree 100% steve! I would continue to do business with Ben if he raised the price of forms $10. Their customer service and light speed shipping is well worth the $3 increase. Never had a problem with back orders or missing pieces to an order when using Mears either.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu