Gotta kick out've the Westminster Show...

Submitted by marty on 2/16/05 at 9:12 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Well, I only watched for a few minutes. Personally, I'd rather watch grass grow.

EVERY breed that came up the announcer would give a brief description. EVERY single one I saw started with "a highly intelligent breed". Apparently there are no dumb dogs out there. Except of course the ones that I have hunted behind.

What really got me was the description of the Akita. "A highly intelligent breed with a sense of humor"! WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? Does this breed do stand up comedy or something?

I guess I just don't get the whole show dog thing. I see a bunch of fat people prancing around a ring (most in polyester suits) with their dogs as they stuff treats in their mouths. My money is on most of those dogs being dumb as rocks - but they sure do look good! The whole thing is pretty silly in my opinion...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Got up

This response submitted by Alex on 2/16/05 at 9:55 AM. ( ) 66.32.79.239

On the wrong side of the bed ? Did we? LOL

It was...................

This response submitted by paul b on 2/16/05 at 10:02 AM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.46

nice to see best in show go to a hunting dog. I caught the tail end of the show and the german shorthair that won was a classy looking bitch.

marty I have four dogs and spend a lot time around them. Usually when a dog is dumb, so to speak, it's just a lack of training. most dumb dogs are just ones that get no real training and the people who own them blame it on the dog when acually it's their fault.

I'll email you a picture of Jake. He spends all of bear season with me in Ontario. Everybody who spends time in bearcamp with him really thinks he 's an exceptionaly smart dog. I think it is more the extra attention and training I give him while we're up there.

PB

I agree with Paul

This response submitted by Evelyn on 2/16/05 at 10:25 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

I used to show Great Danes in conformation. Unfortunatley my bitch was too small for the judges. They like to see them at around 34 inches and she was only 32. So I switched over to obedience, and she did an outstanding job there. She scored top dog in two events straight which is unusual for Great Danes as most people, even showpeople, consider Great Danes to be dumb dogs.

Paul hit it right on the head. There are no dumb dogs (some are very stubborn and hard to train though). It is the owners who are dumb. Most people do not take the time to train their dog, not even the basics, and then blame the dog for not behaving. Most people I observed are not qualified to own dogs.

I spent a lot of time with my Great Dane, and the end result was a "smart" dog. Now if I hadn't put that much time into her would that have meant that she was a dumb dog? NO. Just an untrained dog but still as smart.

Anyway, Marty competing in a dog show is actually quite exciting and a lot of fun. I still miss it every now and then.

Evelyn's right

This response submitted by Juli on 2/16/05 at 10:47 AM. ( ) 66.58.181.183

And there is a lot more to competing in a dog show than it looks like (Not just prancing around and shoving food into the dog's mouth). I am going to show training classes right now with my chesapeake bitch. It is just like anything else in that it takes practice. I quickly realized this at the first class I went to as I stumbled around trying to get her to stand (stack up), trot and present her to the judge. LOL. There is a lot of training the dog and handler involved. (in my case - mostly handler).
I would prefer to be retriever training - but chessies are one of the very few breeds that are dual purpose - (meaning they have both the breed confirmation AND working ability that the AKC looks for in titling dogs). Liberty is out of DC lines - so I feel should give her the opportunity to compete in both.

Awesome!

This response submitted by Mark H on 2/16/05 at 11:07 AM. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.204.8

I saw part of the show the first night and most last night and I picked the winner. When that German shorthair went into her stance and pose that was the most strikingly (sp) beautiful dog I've ever seen. I own three labs; two yellow and one black. the two oldest are 11 and the pup is 13 months. He was in the field and working birds at about 10 to 12 weeks old. The only dumb dog is the one that isn't trained. Not the dogs fault Marty.

Paul, that is a good looking pooch!

This response submitted by marty on 2/16/05 at 11:33 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

I'm a Lab man myself. Best dog I ever owned was a Chocolate.

Sorry folks - the AKC shows are not for me - boring. Field trials on the otherhand are much more exciting to watch (to me). At least there is emphasis on intelligence and obedience vs. looks.

Also, I agree that time spent with the pooches is indeed the most important. But I still disagree, just like some people - intelligence does vary considerably amongst breeds and individual dogs. Been there, done that.

The Irish Setter as a breed is a good example. They were overbred to the point that nobody wanted one for many years because they were so darned dumb. They since have come around. But they still are not on top of the intelligence list as a breed (But I somehow suspect in yesterday's show they were described as "a highly intelligent breed").

Can anybody explain how a dog has a "sense of humor"?

Marty, why would that surprise you?

This response submitted by George on 2/16/05 at 11:42 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

Dogs are just like taxidermists. I know a lot of dogs smarter than some of the customers I have, so they're bound to be smarter than a few taxidermists I know. On one thing is without question, I can trust my dog a helluva lot more than I can some people, he's genuinely happy to see me, and he never asks stupid questions about Krowtann. LMAO.

Ri Rorge!

This response submitted by marty on 2/16/05 at 1:04 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

Ruts yer Ree-rings on Rowrann?

Allright you want to see a smart and good looking dog?

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/16/05 at 6:08 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.194

I'll have to post a pic on a link I have. She's a mixed but she is beautiful!

People say they want to "get" a dog like mine

This response submitted by Jan George on 2/16/05 at 10:15 PM. ( turkeylady@jangeorge.com ) 68.58.152.160

They don't realize that you MAKE a dog like mine. You don't just buy one and they grow up smart. You have to teach them things. I have 2 Springer Spaniels that are absolutely "human". Everyone loves them, and our vet brags on them to no end. He tells me and all his new employees that he wishes all his patients were "this good". You don't just "get" a dog like this, you make it.
Jan George

I work my "tail" off

This response submitted by Bradlee on 2/17/05 at 12:50 PM. ( ) 12.227.181.67

Trying to teach my dogs to get me a beer . Well, six years and they still just stare at me ! LOl Maybe it's just me . Bradlee

Bradlee

This response submitted by David Patton on 2/18/05 at 7:17 PM. ( ) 12.76.217.27

I taught mine to get that beer. Worst mistake I ever made, now he stays drunk all the time. I laughed my tail off when he thought that Alpo can was a beer! Man did he spit that out quick...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu