Artificial Antler Velvet

Submitted by Little Al on 2/16/05 at 11:09 AM. ( ) 207.14.78.113

Can any of you out there direct me to information on applying velvet to a set of antlers? Who does it? How can I make contact with them? I have a customer who killed an Alaskan Caribou with a bow back in the 1960's. He said the antlers were covered in "black" velvet at the time of the kill. Said that Jonas Bros. tried, but failed, to preserve them in velvet. He's wondering if they can be restored to look like they did at the time of the kill. Thanks.
Peace!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Research Mannikins

This response submitted by Perry on 2/16/05 at 11:58 AM. ( ... ) 128.118.40.78

They can, their process looks real good but its pricey. I'm not sure about the color black, I had a set done last year in chocolate brown. they won't feel like velvet to the light touch because the "Fuzz" they apply has cut ends. Natural velvet is hair with a natural taper to the point. The lack of taper gives the artificial velvet a bit of a bristley feeling but it really is as close as you'll get appearance wise. when hanging on the wall, it looks good and only those knowledgable in what real velvet feels and looks like will know the difference. I doubt it would even bother them. I would use their process for my own personal trophies if the need arises.

I 2nd that

This response submitted by Mark H on 2/16/05 at 12:05 PM. ( haskees@access4less.net ) 64.63.204.8

I've had caribou antlers done by Research too and they do a great job. It is pricey but worth it if the need arises.

Thank you!

This response submitted by Little Al on 2/17/05 at 12:45 PM. ( ) 207.14.78.30

Thanks for the info guys!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu