dry ice?

Submitted by Griz on 2/16/05 at 11:31 PM. ( ) 69.66.146.125

I saw shelia was curious on shipping frozen critters, and i had been wondering for a while if dry ice could be used at all to prolong hide life when shipping. I know the food industry does this, so it got me wondering if any fur suppliers do. If you do a lot of shipping it might not hurt to look into, of course it is more weight and stuff though.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Already looking into it

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/17/05 at 6:15 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.170

Three problems with dry ice:

1.Availability

2.) Significant weight which will add to the cost of your shipping

3.) Some carriers won't ship boxes with dry ice

Don't quote me on this but I believe USPS is the one that won't.

I've used regular ice in zip lock bags with some success to add frozen mass to a small order.

cant ship airmail

This response submitted by wetnwild on 2/17/05 at 6:24 AM. ( ) 24.128.109.191

Because dry ice is a hazardous substance, most package cariers will not ship it airmail due to its contents. It is a hazardous substance and cant go on planes.

Is this one of those 9/11 things again ?

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/17/05 at 6:41 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.170

I seem to remember getting a few things packed in dry ice several years ago or maybe it was ground so it didn't matter.

prior to 9/11

This response submitted by JEM on 2/17/05 at 8:17 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

It has been a restricted item on airplanes for as long as I remember.

no 4 post office

This response submitted by newbirdman on 2/17/05 at 8:34 AM. ( ) 205.188.116.134

The post office has a sign up that has dry ice as a big NO for shipping . Rick

No Cecil, just basic chemistry

This response submitted by George on 2/17/05 at 10:53 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

Dry ice (frozen Carbon dioxide) goes directly to a gasseous state from the solid without passing the liquid (sublimation). Early rocket propulsion actually used this principle in allowing the dry ice to sublimate into a chamber. Once pressures built sufficiently, the gases were released though convergent tube to a nozzle for propulsion. Dry ice in sealed boxes will do just the same thing and can possibly explode. Airplanes are not places for "surprises".

fed ex and ups

This response submitted by Orion on 2/17/05 at 11:37 AM. ( orionshunting@msn.com ) 4.63.118.191

will except it but they will charge you a hazard fee. ups though will allow you only a certain amount comparing to fed ex its unlimited. they say when properly wrapped 1 pound of dry ice is enough for a day.

george

This response submitted by LN on 2/17/05 at 1:26 PM. ( ) 63.21.83.100

are you really a rocket scientist? I read on one of the other post that asked what you did besides taxidermy, and your reply was you were a rocket scientist. Because you do know the chemical breakdown of alot of things. Just curious. Not that it is any of my business

LMAO LN

This response submitted by George on 2/17/05 at 4:33 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

No, I'm really not. The closest I came was being a jet engine mechanic,but basic rocketry was part of the curriculum we had to study. I said that tongue in cheek. I always tell people taxidermy isn't rocket science so I just put that in there.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu