How To Ship Frozen Whole

Submitted by [not] on 2/17/05 at 3:43 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.75

How Not To Ship Frozen Whole

1) pack your animals in one little kitchen Bounty Towel each.
2) then place all your animals in a baggie.
3) then put your animals into a thin wall, small box, so that the animals almost touch the sides of the box at all times.
4) insulate with a sock or 2. Don't bother to use a cooler, or even rolled up newsprint.
5) leave this small box of animals in your car all morning until dropping them off at the post office at noon, so they get good and heated up by the sun.
6) ship 3-day Priority Mail during a warm spell with paper overwrap in said thin wall box. Don't bother to save your receipt of mailing from the post office either.

Needless to say, the animals I got are all trash taints, slip, etc. NOT HAPPY with this vendor at all.

Does that sound like someone who cares about their clients?

The animals arrived completely warm and thawed and I could smell them outside the baggie.

Two had green bellies as soon as the paper thin skin was removed.

Before I even began skinning, I soaked them in a solution of hair setting agents and a stop-rot equivalent.
I got them skinned and wet tanned within 15 minutes.

Four of MY clients are going to be pissed now.

Should I request a refund?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

I may have missed something but

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 2/17/05 at 3:51 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

How do you get any animal skinned and wet tanned in 15 minutes? WOW
Dan Hudzik

Dan

This response submitted by [not] on 2/17/05 at 5:07 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.40

I am fast at skinning little critters, these were a type where you can make one cut, 5 snips, and then peel and be done. I had the wet-tan prepped and ready, sitting beside me. Prior to skinning them, I immersed them in the solution as well to set the hair. It completely penetrated the skin to full thickness within 15 minutes. So no kidding.
Have you ever heard of the guys who can speed-skin a muskrat in 30 seconds? I'd like to do that... wish I could.

Trapper Skinning, Yes

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 2/17/05 at 6:11 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

Not trying to ruffle your feathers just curious. I salt my hides and don't try to "tan" raw skins like that. I have heard of trappers skinning out critters from their trap lines but never heard of a taxidermist that could skin and tan an animal in 15 minutes. Guess I haven't been in this long enough. I've only been in this art since 1999. Regardless I hope you get your issue resolved. Good Luck. Dan Hudzik

That is pretty fast

This response submitted by BWS on 2/17/05 at 6:57 PM. ( ) 148.78.243.26

It usually takes me about 20-30 min. to completely skin out a bobcat without skinning cuts. BUT that is without splitting, turning or fleshing. I don't know how i "compare" with other skinners, but i could care less..LOL, so long as i do a good job it don't matter.

Now coyotes on the other hand...lol, take me about an hour for taxidermy..and yuck!

Sheila Brandon
Brandon Wildlife Studio

well....?

This response submitted by [not] on 2/17/05 at 8:06 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.53

Do I ask for a refund for these negligent acts?

Bubba of Bullchit.

This response submitted by John C on 2/17/05 at 8:34 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

You are not skinning for a mount that quick

Oiling Day / End Results

This response submitted by - on 2/19/05 at 2:13 PM. ( ) 216.144.58.75

Today is oiling day on these critters and I took them out of neutralizing bath and found that the belly on one of them, which had rotted due to the shipper's ignorance and foul treatment of the animals, had completely dissolved. Now there is a one inch hole in an animal with a NTB measurement somewhere around 7" and girth around 3.5". To say I am peeved is an understatement.

I was able to recover my costs on this issue, therefore, no more problems. Simply refusing to do business with this hack again is a simple enough solution.

Mr. Creager, just because you can't speed-skin small animals as fast as me, does not mean you need to denigrate me. If you are not capable of doing so, saying so is fine. No BS - they really did get done for L/S that fast and yes, that means the tails and foot bones were out. Want a pelt, they are $20 a pop + s/h, slight damage (patch skin/fur will be included), if you want to see proof for yourself. I sent pictures of the skins, taken during the first 20 min. at which point the skins were well tanned, both sides (fur and leather), to someone, who said they looked great. KMA.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu