Mc Kenzie Foam

Submitted by JJ on 2/18/05 at 3:54 PM. ( ) 66.138.8.81

What do you guys out there think of this newer style foam from McKenzie ? I personally HATE it so bad I'm no longer ordering from them. This new stuff is trash and breaks to easy and chips. I know we are eventually all doomed to have to deal with it when they by all the industry and charge us way to much for shabby forms. And by the way the outside is way to hardit takes for ever to work up a form now.On top of everything they decide to charge more for it,I say no way.I'm done with 'em!

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Just go back and make your own forms.

This response submitted by Todd B on 2/18/05 at 4:10 PM. ( ) 4.224.159.144

Just get a hold of the old Northwestern School of Taxidermy manuals and do taxidermy the old fashioned way. It is not just foam from McKenzie that changed it is industry wide. The regulations changed so that is what the foam is going to. But to each his own I guess. You can whine and cry about it or learn to adapt.

They work good for me.

This response submitted by Buckeye on 2/18/05 at 4:13 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

I hear alot of guys complaining about McKenzie forms. Personally, I think there as good (if not better) than any form out there. I also here people say they don't fit Ohio deer very well, and that's weird to me because I live in southern Ohio and as long as my measurements are accurate they fit perfect.

Bad foam

This response submitted by Becky P on 2/18/05 at 4:14 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

is better than no foam. Just have to get used to it. BP

I agree, the foam is hard to use

This response submitted by Steve on 2/18/05 at 8:37 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.133

The new foam is very hard to alter. And no its not industry wide. I too have switched in part due to the foam. It takes longer to work up, and time is money. Steve

Just quit whinning!

This response submitted by JOhn C on 2/18/05 at 9:16 PM. ( check the archives! ) 70.178.74.104

Look this is what we have to work with for now, no amount of bitching is going to help!

When the foam manufacters have a better stuff available at reasonable cost I am sure the SUPPLY COMPANIES will use it.

Or we have another choice which you will also bitch about.

The really great new foam thats better than the old foam we used for years is avalible.

You want to pay nearly 5 times what a deer form now cost?

it will run a form up to $170.00 just the form!

No Problems here

This response submitted by Alex on 2/18/05 at 10:02 PM. ( ) 66.32.79.239

I have no problems with the new foam at all, so I don't know what your complaining about?.

I guess since Am old school, I appreciate new things I don't have to make mannikins out of straw anymore.

I don't mind it

This response submitted by Ted B on 2/18/05 at 11:01 PM. ( ) 24.72.93.227

I have to lean into it with my ruffer to cut the skin on it but it's better than the Coombs mannikins I just bought, the foam is so soft that part of the face caved in on one when it was shipped! If working up the foam is that big a problem buy a wire wheel for a drill and use it, I've been told that works great to break the new foam.

Brain washed

This response submitted by John on 2/18/05 at 11:10 PM. ( ) 64.12.116.133

It sounds like you must work for the competition. I have no problem "adapting" to changes. Honestly, I like to support the "little" guy in the industry as much as I can, but their is something to be said for one stop shopping. I get really tired of "backorders" when dealing with the smaller guy.

Blue carving foam

This response submitted by Chip on 2/19/05 at 10:02 AM. ( cstamper@taxidermy-schools.com ) 66.140.215.250

I don't have a problem with the foam in their forms if that's what you mean. I don't care for the blocks of blue carving foam. For me is is too soft. In fact I have two new blocks of it that I will make someone a really, really, really, good deal on.

Chip

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu