Digital Camera ?

Submitted by Keith on 2/21/05 at 7:47 PM. ( ) 67.2.180.108

Ok, the big shows are coming up, and it's time to buy a digital camera for pictures of all the mounts.

I would like to spend about $200 on the camera, because I know an additional card will cost some more, along with some accessories.

Any personal suggestions and other things to look for?

Things to consider are, difficulty of use, micro and macro zoom features, batterie types, power up time, lag time between plunger depression, etc...

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Keith, you can't get there from here

This response submitted by George on 2/21/05 at 8:04 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.134

There are lots of $200 digital cameras out there, but you're losing quality for every dollar you "save". They have poor resolution and few of the features you'd like. I have a 3.0 megapixel Olympus that makes a great snapshot camera. It's small, compact, light, and will take some great shots. Just don't try to blow them up any bigger than they are or your resolution falls apart. I had an Olympus E-10, but it was big, clumsy and too complex for someone just wanting to take pictures. The flash was really crap as you had to hold the camera extremely still to get good crisp images. You really needed a tripod. It was a 4.0, held both cards and compact flash disks and could hold up to 178 pictures. Last week, I'd had enough and sold it. I spent $1000 dollars for a spectacular camera that does EVERYTHING I could want. It's the Canon EOS Rebel Digital with 6.3 megapixel photo capability. I can use the same lenses my 35mm EOS Rebel uses and go from a gnats ass to a blue whale without losing any resolution. It has direct plug and play capability, a compact flash disk that holds 158 images and a built in flash with red-eye elimination. It has 2 rechargeable batteries that make follow up shots instantaneous.

I understand that may be a little steep, but like taxidermy, when you're talking digital cameras, you get what you pay for.

Hate to say it..

This response submitted by .. on 2/21/05 at 8:07 PM. ( ) 4.225.171.106

But George is right on the money. You can not beat the Canon EOS Rebel. Keith I would spend the extra money now. It will be worth it in the long run.

Geoge, you must be...............

This response submitted by Randal R. Waites on 2/21/05 at 8:38 PM. ( rwenglish1@aol.com ) 152.163.100.134

George, you must be thinking like me, and wanting to be able to zoom it in for the close up view, but I do not think, lighting strikes twice.
I have had a Canon AE1 for 29 years, and have taken a lot of pictures. I recently started getting the cd with the pictures put on it, it is just like having a digital camera.

My first digital, was only 640X480, I took hundreds of pictures, for web pages emails ect. But, like George said, don't try to enlarge them.

The next one I got was a 3.2 pixel, it would take a large format picture, that could be blown up to 8X10, but I could not capture fast movement.

So this year, I broke down, and bought a Canon 20D, with the new Canon 17 X 85 IS USM lens, I bought a 1 gig memory card, you can take 457 pictures in automatic mode, in jpeg format, or 97 pictures in the program mode, which takes the pictures, in the RAW format, which gives them the size of 35.50" X 24.50". So far I really like it.

For that budget...

This response submitted by marty on 2/21/05 at 9:04 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...you ain't gonna find anything with the features you're looking for.

You could probably find a good 4.0 nowadays with a 4.0 optical zoom, auto plug-ins or dock and a 128 flashcard for around $300. It'll store over 100 hi-res photos easily. With a 4.0 you can print up to probably 11x14 w/o any degradation.

I've got a couple of Kodak Easyshare cameras - just got a decent one for my 9 year old for around $100 bucks. I've got the DX6440 4.0 megapixel/4.0 optical zoom and I like almost everything about it. Indoor pictures using the flash is it's weakest point. I've heard this from a few other Kodak Easyshare users. The pictures have a tendancy of coming out a bit dark when there's a lot of non-contrasting colors in the pic. If you've got decent contrast and/or good indoor lighting then it's not a problem. Nice thing is you just keep burning pictures and trying again if you don't like it. I've gotta read the manual to see how to manually override when taking indoors.

P.S. Optical zoom is what is important when looking at zooms. 4.0 is probably the minimum in my opinion. Digital zooms are pretty useless and I could care less if I didn't have 4.0 MORE zoom capability (digital) on my camera. It just keeps degrading the picture if you keep zooming. I suppose if you had a 6.0 megapixel camera zooming digitally once or twice wouldn't be too bad. But not with a 4.0. Go OPTICAL with your zoom.

If you don't have downloading capabilities when you're on the road (at the World show), you're going to want to p/u a second or bigger flashcard if you're going to want more than 130 pictures or so. If you have a dock or easy downloading capabilites this would not be an issue and 128 should be plenty.

And, a second set of batteries would also be wise and keep them with you at the show. Just remember to pull them before recharging IF the second set is NOT rechargeable batteries...

Keep the suggestions coming

This response submitted by Keith on 2/21/05 at 11:05 PM. ( ) 67.2.177.71

I did see some 4.0 in the store the other day for under $200. This is why I asked. I didn't know enough to look at the zoom capacity.

Marty, is the f/stop problem common with all Kodak camera's? I will be using the camera mostly indoors any way, and don't plan to blow up pictures past an 8x10.

So far the consensus is for a Canon brand.

Hummmmmmmmm

This response submitted by Wally on 2/21/05 at 11:06 PM. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.251.183.131

Totaly love my canon ZR85,,,killer quality and a great digital zooooooooooooooooooooom...

Check out ebay

This response submitted by Doug on 2/22/05 at 6:11 AM. ( ) 64.18.236.173

You'll find any make/model of digital camera you might want on ebay, new...demo...or gently used..at great savings over retail. If your limit is $200.00 you might very well buy a new $300.00 camera for $200.00...eh? I checked out George's new Canon on ebay and saw a lot of them for $650.00-$700.00...new in the box. It's just a way to get what you want for less money. You probably can't get a Canon for your $200.00 price, but you probably can with the Kodak Easy Share line. Good luck.

Sony Cyber-shot

This response submitted by Paul B on 2/22/05 at 7:51 AM. ( taxidermst ) 24.236.222.46

I've used my son's Sony, only 2.0 megapixel, and it takes good photos. I know it's 4 or 5 years old and been through operations enduring freedom and iraqi freedom, but it still works fine. I saw an add in the paper this weekend for a newer model for less than $200.00,at best buy or circut city. If you question the quality of pictuers you can take with it, go to this link. Copy the photo if you like, but for personal use only,nothing else.

http://home.att.net/~stuff-it/trouteye.jpg

PB

Keith...

This response submitted by marty on 2/22/05 at 9:07 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

I think it is a common problem with the Kodaks. At least the two I own and my buddy's all have issues when it comes to taking indoor photos.

You can probably find a good Canon 4.0 with all the goodies for a comparable price. You can't go wrong with a Canon. Traditionally they rate out tops and they make a lot of high end cameras. So the technology is there. Whereas the Kodaks and Sonys are traditionally marketed to the average user. They're not bad cameras for the money. If you can find a Canon with the features you want and at the right price, I would recommend a Canon...

easyshare

This response submitted by kato on 2/22/05 at 9:09 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

have the new Kodak Easyshare DX 7590 it is adjustable up to 5 megapixels w/10X optical zoom and 3X digital zoom. Tons of different picture taking modes and options. The only thing I dont care for is that the LCD viewfinder is not the flip open type which leaves it prone to scratces fingerprints etc. Am going to check out if maybe there is some type of clear magnetic type plastic cover i can get to prevent this. The LCD is however 2.2 inches while most of the others are 1.8 in.I Also can use add on Wide angle lens filters and polarizers.Super easy to use too ! Retails for about 500 bucksbut lik Doug have seen new in the box on ebay for much cheaper. Also they make other easyshare models in a lower price range. Check em out on Kodaks webpage.

Nikon

This response submitted by Terri on 2/22/05 at 9:43 AM. ( thaken@chartermi.net ) 66.227.255.226

I have a Nikon Coolpix 3700. It has 3.7 mega pixels. 10X optical soom and 3X digital zoom. It takes excellent pictures. It's very compact. Your can fit it in your back pocket. I absolutely love this camera.

Actually Doug...

This response submitted by George on 2/22/05 at 9:53 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

...mine was that price too. IN THE BOX. But they don't bother to tell you that "in the box" doesn't include a compact flash card ($115) or any of the software($30), cables($25), extended life battery ($75), or lenses (snapshot 52mm for $78). After I got all that along with an extended warranty(they wanted $400 but I talked them down to cost of $100), it was right at $1000. For those who don't have a compatible 35mm camera, its always better to buy a "kit" which will include everything you need. Abes of Maine has them for about $1100 while all the local camera shops wanted $1500.

Here's one

This response submitted by Doug Bridges on 2/22/05 at 9:58 AM. ( doug@ddtaxidermy.com ) 12.40.253.102

Keith,

I can understand your position. The guys are right, buy the most you can afford, because the resolution is king. With that said, you can find some good cameras in the 300 to 400 range. There are some canons that fall in that range that will produce good shots. One that I like is the canon S1. It is only a 3.2 meg pix unit, but the kicker is the macro feature and the 10 time OPTICAL zoom. It's like it was made with the taxidermist in mind. Steet price is around 350 with an additional mem card you are looking at 400. Now you can zoom from a whole deer shot to the eye only, but if you use the macro and take a pic of the eye, you will get the results for a resonalble price.
Doug

ok

This response submitted by Linda C. on 2/22/05 at 10:13 AM. ( ) 64.33.183.88

I guess I have to jump in here too.We bought a new Sony Cyber-Shot camera this year and I have to say I LOVE this camera.Going price right now is I think right around 300.Very easy to use 5.1 mega pixel.We did buy a bigger memory card which was around $80.00.One thing I have to say about this thing is I can
't believe the battery life it has.Took 600 pictures with the first charge,most of them indoor flash.Yep,I'm happy and I'd reccomend it to anyone.

Kato...

This response submitted by marty on 2/22/05 at 5:27 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...any problems with your indoor pics coming out too dark?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu