Unusual Stone Sheep to mount

Submitted by George on 2/24/05 at 11:20 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 152.163.100.202

I had one of my best customers bring in a record book Stone that he shot in BC. He insists that it be mounted "as is" and I plan on doing it, but I've NEVER seen anything like this.

Right in the center of the sheep's forehead is a hole in the skin about 2x3 inches. You can see the actual nose bones exposed and weathered through this hole in the skin.

I know sheep live incredibly rough lives but this is something new to me. It's not a fighting scar as it's too low on the bridge, but to see the bone through the hide all weathered and gray is really sort of macabre. I've tried to convince the guy to let me attempt to repair it, but he's not budging. I plan on using the top half of the real skull so the skin will match its natural condition, but I can't say I'm too happy about it.

Have any of you seen anything like this before?

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

yes

This response submitted by rc on 2/24/05 at 12:22 PM. ( ) 67.140.194.99

I have seen it in barbarosa sheep and corsican. most of the times it is a big gross puss pocket on the bridge of the nose. when it is too bad to grow back some strange things happen. I agree with you that it would look better if he would let you fix it. Charge an extra $250.00 for casting work and he may change his mind. usually the honeycomb like bones in his forehead that sheild the brain from all of the shock on impact also minimize other damage but that crap is ridiculous.

I feel like you do George

This response submitted by Danny on 2/24/05 at 2:29 PM. ( ) 65.214.185.14

Stone sheep are the most beautiful animal in North America as far as I'm concerned, and I would hate to see one mounted with a big split in it's nose. The biggest problem is most people will think it's just bad taxidermy if they don't know the story. But, to each his own.
I killed an nm oryx this year and it had been attacked by a mountain lion, I think. It had old scars that look like claw marks all down one side, and it's "adam's apple" had been completeyly bit through, leaving a big hole and all the skin had dried around. I guess I'll figure out how to fix it if I ever get around to mounting my own stuff.

nope

This response submitted by Doug M on 2/25/05 at 9:26 AM. ( ) 65.193.216.212

Haven't seen that but I do have a shoulder mount of a Stone sheep where the horn curved around and grew right into the bridge of the nose. Very unusual mount.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu