OK. guys and gals what you think?

Submitted by Cecil on 2/27/05 at 10:44 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.107

That perch I got via hook and line that is in contention for the state record has some guy peeing in his cornflakes as he doesn't think it fair to enter a fish out of a private pond. He's going to complain! LOL

My state only stipulates that the fish must be caught on hook and line and I don't charge to fish the pond which I don't.

He says it was like fishing in a 1000 gallon tank! Try a 1,000,000 gallon tank!

Anyway, what's your take on this? Don't be shy. Speak what's on your mind. Just keep in mind that at least 11 of my state's state records come from private ponds, lakes, or gravel pits. And although I don't believe this fish fed much on the pellets I feed my bass -- if at all, many pond owners feed their fish.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Right ,Wrong, and the Other

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 2/27/05 at 10:55 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.100.134

I know YOU know the difference. Our current authorities have fallen short of dealing with things properly. It's no secret to you and me! I hope you won't allow yourself to stoop to that level! Peace Brother. Jeff F.

It gives a whole new meaning...

This response submitted by marty on 2/27/05 at 11:10 PM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...in my mind to all those records caught in "farm ponds". Never thought much about it until now. I don't think it's right, but hey - if you're abiding by the DNR's rules I say go ahead and get your darn name in the record books...

What ever happend to Bill in South Dakota?

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/27/05 at 11:14 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.107

Back when I took a few brook trout out of the other pond and decided NOT to enter them and we talked about it when he was a student he said, "Hell yeah why not?" He didn't think the DNR cared because it was a feather in their cap.

More comments. Someone on my side please? LOL

I fish in plenty of private ponds

This response submitted by Dan Hudzik on 2/27/05 at 11:21 PM. ( hudzik@madisontelco.com ) 66.242.208.237

and some of them are harder to find the fish than in public ponds and lakes. I say go for it. To hell with his 1000 gallon fish tank theory, if it was him he would enter it. You know how you caught it. It was caught properly. Why not enter it? If you don't enter it you'll never forgive yourself. You abided by the laws and regulations already there is nothing else for you to do except ENTER IT! Good Luck Cecil. Stick to your guns damn it like you always seem to do any other time! Dan Hudzik

Thanks Dan I needed that LOL

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/27/05 at 11:33 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.107

BTW the guy complaining says we shoud also eliminate all the salmonid records that were planted in the Great Lakes too as them being reared in raceways before planting is too artifical also.

I told him then if he had his way we will wipe off the records 9 more state records along with the 10 other private ponds, pits, and private lakes. I said that would make him an unpopular guy but I did admire his principles. :-)

Should I invite him to fish the pond under the condition he has to enter any fish eligible for state record status? That could create a dilemna for him wouldn't it?

well

This response submitted by Bill Yox on 2/27/05 at 11:37 PM. ( ) 67.138.9.9

I wouldnt enter my deer in any deer contests with wild ones (although we just measured another 200 inch animal today!). I just grew a typical this year that would surpass our state record typical. Thats not fishing, though. But then again, your fish grew itself, not artificially, so I dont know. I do know it would be a nightmare trying to decide which fish was farm pond, commercial pond, natural(?) pond, etc. I guess do what you feel is right. Its still a really nice fish, whether they recognize it or not.

you caught it fair and square right?

This response submitted by beaumont on 2/27/05 at 11:55 PM. ( beaumont2@earthlink.net ) 66.207.248.49

if you did, then enter the thing. The only people that are complaining are probably just crying because they don't have a potential record to enter.
tell them to pound sand ... then go fishing.

B

Did you follow the law?

This response submitted by John C on 2/28/05 at 2:50 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

If I come up and fish your pond and catch a new state record, can I enter it?

If so then whats the difference?

Maybe its time for the state to develope a system for recording records from private waters.

Yes you can John

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/28/05 at 7:04 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.186

but I require all my guests fish hookless. Just kidding! I wouldn't recommend fishing right now as the ice is not too good and we are expecting up to a foot of snow on top of it. LOL

In reality although my pond is on private property it's anything but private. Everyone that wants to -- gets to fish it -- albeit they have to ask permission and only fish it when I need fish harvested (great free labor) I had at least a half dozen anglers ice fishing the pond on and off this winter, and I just happened to be the one that caught the big kahuna.

Yes I was within the law. Got the fish on a rosy red fathead minnow while two witnesses looked on. The fish lay on the ice for 30 minutes while I debated if would indeed break the state record. One of my fishing companions said, "heck yeah, and I said, "well it's close." Finally took it in the house and weighed it on my scale, and came back and out and said, "Holy s..t she shatters it!" Then we took it into a certified scale in town even though mine is certified.

I think.................

This response submitted by Paul B on 2/28/05 at 8:57 AM. ( bears@att.net ) 24.236.222.46

DNA needs to be tested to make sure it is truly an Indiana perch. Wouldn't want a big question mark behing your name would ya?

Think how the kid would feel that reeled in that huge lake michigan perch only to find out someone raised one in a pond that beat his by an ounce. To me it would be comparable to a canned hunt trophy.

PB

If anything...

This response submitted by marty on 2/28/05 at 9:11 AM. ( ) 24.15.107.136

...as John touched upon, maybe this will force the DNR(s) to take a look at their rules and possibly change the rules or quantify the catches.

Btw, I don't buy the stocked/artificial comment. Probably 75% of the fish nowadays are stocked in this country.

I DO think they should have a separate category for fish caught on private property as nobody else has a chance to catch these fish...

ARE THEY HAND FED>>>>>>

This response submitted by Don on 2/28/05 at 9:17 AM. ( oldeadeye@aol.com ) 24.154.31.73

If they are,,no they shouldn't be allowed,,if they are eating on there own,,yes they should count,,hand fed can be raised in your local backyard 500 gallon pond and be caught,,should they count,,just like Bill's monster bucks,let it loose,shoot it,state record,,just wouldn't be the same,,,

Yes

This response submitted by JEM on 2/28/05 at 9:26 AM. ( ) 64.179.71.115

How is that any differnet than shooting a buck over a food plot that one plants to grow bigger deer? Or ducks over a wild rice plot? A pond isn't the same as a pen raised animal. If you were to release the fish into a lake would they survive - sure would. If you release a pen raised bird or deer what are their chances of surving - allot less.

Let them cry.....

This response submitted by Gary on 2/28/05 at 9:35 AM. ( ) 207.69.138.144

When they read you name as holding the New State Record! There are a few of the state records here in WV that have been caught from farm/private ponds, I have fished in many ponds since a kid, some less than 1/2 an acre and it didn't make the fishing any easier, the only way it could be better for you is if you done like the guy that caught the largemouth record here in Feb. a few years back, it was when Berkley Powerbait had a "reward" if you caught a state record using their bait, guess what the fellow was using, a black Power Craw. At least the guy didn't lose his mind when he caught it. In my opinion, if you wasn't feeding the fish and fishing at the same time it is a new record. Enjoy.

Paul you're kidding right?

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/28/05 at 10:23 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.186

DNA test? The only thing that would tell you is the strain is originally from Lake Erie. And what does that proove? LOL

Our previous state record came from a gravel pit on southern Indiana not Lake Michigan.

Marty, I let everyone that wants to, fish my pond. It's good customer and neighbor relations. However, only when I need fish removed. I caught 3 perch the day this one was caught and the other two guys fishing with me never caught one. It ain't like fishing in a barrel I can assure you.

Thanks guys for the comments. Keep em coming.

Yes ............

This response submitted by Paul B on 2/28/05 at 10:39 AM. ( ) 24.236.222.46

I was kidding about the DNA. The comment about the kid was a hypothetical one.

I liked the guys question regarding feeding of the fish. Do the feed on natural forage? Are their diets supplimented in any way?

PB

O.K. Paul I stand corrected

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/28/05 at 11:16 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.186

The perch are feed trained but I rarely if ever seen any of them feed as the bass I feed are so aggressive they push all other species away. I still contend the size of this fish has more to do with the fertility of the pond (nutrient overflow from the trout pond as the pond becomes pea soup green in summer), nutrients from wastes of the bass, and a prolific amount of snails. I also believe along with the bass eating their own offspring, most of the bass offspring in this pond are eaten by the perch. Not much survival of bass fry in this pond although I am feeding 3 to 4 hundred bass a day now that spawn in the pond. I prefer to purchase feed trained bass from a supplier vs. the wild spawned fish in the pond that are NOT feed trained.

When I was young we used to...

This response submitted by Craig on 2/28/05 at 11:25 AM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

go to Oak Orchard Creek in Waterport, NY and catch buckets of crappies. We'd eat most of them but there were a few that we released into some local ponds and quarries. My brother, a few years after doing this, caught a 15" black crappie out of one of these ponds. No one fed this fish and the pond was only a an acre small. To us it was a big fish considering they were only 8 inches when released into the water. We didn't even think of entering it for a state record but I wouldn't have thought twice about doing it if someone had mentioned it. I will admit there was probably not one prey species in this pond such as northern pike that could have eaten it when it was 8 inches.

I personally caught 3 huge brown bullheads out of this same pond that probably went 4 lbs or better. Must have been something in the water, lol.

Looks to me like you have a new state record perch until the officials say otherwise. Now if only you had caught that on 2 pound test...

The Perch

This response submitted by Jason on 2/28/05 at 12:34 PM. ( mp92ndgomez@yahoo.com ) 62.226.159.243

Cecil, I think is cool. Go with it. I know you are asking everyones opions but when you first stated that you were going to put the fish in for the state record alot of people voiced that it was not fair or that it was wrong.
Well for those who said it was not fair or were highly aginst it; Well how many of them are from your state? If not I dont think it wound affect them in any way with their quest for A stste record being that your state record (SO TO BE)is from A diferent state.
Now I see it as being petty cool that you ask everyones opion. But I think if you are A registered taxidermist with your state and you catch A record fish you have to have it mounted by another taxidermist.LOL Kidding But Fair is Fair and Rules are Rules. All these were fallow by which your state has implamented so enjoy your name in the books. Now if you realy want to do some damage you will enter it in the world show ! Nice Job Jason

hey cecil

This response submitted by hank on 2/28/05 at 12:49 PM. ( blueroadbucks@jamadots.com ) 12.34.44.29

hey Cecil I say enter it,i love perch fishing here in upper mich.And I would almost have to say the way you caught it is really not that much different from catching d.n.r. fish stocked in a pond or stream.The michigan state brrok trout was caught about 10 mile's from where I live 9+pound's which is a beautiful brookie anywhere EXCEPT the fish was brood stock transplanted to the lake from a hatchery in massachusettes the year before,and it is accepted as the record,that is by far worse that your perch.Be proud of it,

Hank how on earth did a broodstock fish

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/28/05 at 1:46 PM. ( ) 64.184.33.186

from Massachusetts end up in the U.P.? Just curious.

Thanks for the support.

Speaking of broodfish

This response submitted by Bruce Norton on 2/28/05 at 2:05 PM. ( ) 155.76.241.129

Here in Minnesota, the DNR are killing the extra broodfish and giving them to the food shelves. They used to stock them in the local streams. The trout folks were pretty upset that these angling opportunities were being lost. I'm not sure if the DNR changed their procedures or not.

Anyway, Cecil, submit it for the record. No different that any other farm pond caught fish.

hey cecil

This response submitted by hank on 2/28/05 at 2:41 PM. ( ) 12.34.47.38

Hey cecil we are trying to figure why the brood stock from out there were put into one of our trout lake's as well,one thing is for sure we will never figure the dnr out,you will get a headache trying.but the fish was caught several year's back alrge female and accepteed as the new state record.I looked at your fish a week or so back and it is truly a dandy.I catch #2 pounder's here biggest #2 6oz.

Heck yes!

This response submitted by John M on 2/28/05 at 2:48 PM. ( ) 66.190.42.199

you should enter it. Where did the guy who's complaining catch his fish? (just wondering). When you fed the fish while I was there the only fish that ate the pellets were the bass. In my opinion it's legit

Rules are Rules

This response submitted by ByGolly on 2/28/05 at 9:16 PM. ( ) 12.73.80.41

If it was legally caught under the rules then the record is yours. You should claim it. I fished Southern Indina stipper pits, farm ponds,rivers,washouts and lakes for years. If you caught it on a hook and a line then the record is yours. If all the critics want to change the rules then they should lobby the DNR, not try to belittle a person who caught a record under the rules.

Thanks for the feedback

This response submitted by Cecil on 3/1/05 at 10:16 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.179

All of you!

John M. the guy didn't catch didly squat. He just wants to complain. Knowing the DNR as I used to work for them they will mutter under their breaths, "Another nutcase!" LOL

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu