Problems shipping with USPS ?

Submitted by Amy Ritchie on 2/28/05 at 11:10 AM. ( Amy@AmysTaxidermy.com ) 24.136.154.164

Has anyone else had any problems shipping mounts (or any items, for that matter) through USPS?

Earlier this month I sold a lifesize mantle bobcat on Ebay. Being that I do not have a UPS station anywhere nearby and the mount was not incredibly large (no base), I decided to ship USPS. Bad mistake.

The post office asked me whether or not I wanted to ship parcel post, or the faster Priority Mail which should take 2-3 days so I chose Priority. I also insured the package.

That was shipped Monday, Feb. 14 and as of today it has been exactly two weeks and the bobcat has yet to show up. The lady I shipped it to is getting very worried -- she's not the only one! Thank God I insured it, but I hear that getting your money back on an insured package is a real hassle and something that I shouldn't have to deal with. This was a fairly large box and not something that could just "slip through the cracks" like a letter. To make things worse, a package is supposed to be able to be tracked if it has insurance on it. But I called the post office and gave them the numbers, and they said they cannot find any information on the package.

Has anyone else had these problems before? Hopefully the mail is just slow and the bobcat will show up sooner or later. But it has been two weeks and it should have been there by now. The buyer is wanting her bobcat and I am worried to death! One thing is for sure, I don't think I will be shipping anything by USPS again.

Amy Ritchie

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

no problems

This response submitted by Skullery....Jeff on 2/28/05 at 11:21 AM. ( ) 209.206.144.31

I have never had a problem shipping usps. So far it is my preferred way to ship. I have read too many horror stories on ups so i avoid them whenever i can.

Yes they screw up once in a while

This response submitted by Cecil on 2/28/05 at 11:28 AM. ( ) 64.184.33.186

I'll bet it got routed somewhere else and will eventually show up. I know you're a sweet girl, but you need to raise hell! Go above the one you are talking to if you can. Have you actually talked to your postmaster?

Was the receiver's address clear and large? Any possiblity the zip code got messed up? Of course that is doubtful as they have to punch the zip into a computer at the desk and if the town and zip don't match up they would know.

My UPS terminal is 50 miles away from me so it's not covenient either. However you may want to look into an account where your driver picks up your parcels for only $2.00 if you give them 24 hrs. notice. If you know your driver well and he or she is in the area he or she can pick it up for free. The account costs nothing, and you can print your labels on a computer and have it ready for pick up. I will charge my shipping on a credit card. Just started this and they are supposed to sent me materials soon.

Good luck!

Newsletters

This response submitted by KBauman on 2/28/05 at 11:40 AM. ( ) 164.58.213.67

Some members of the Oklahoma Taxidermists Association still haven't received the current newsletter that was mailed out 02/14/05. The USPO said they have new machinery that is got some "bug" in it and it is not reading the mail correctly. Maybe, human touch would be more efficient. I am praying that my seminar material makes it to the New Mexico show by next thursday. I mailed it, last thurday priority mail. If not, I guess we will have a great oral seminar on painting a reproduction. You are not along in your troubles.

Amy..

This response submitted by tomdes on 2/28/05 at 12:39 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.30

Have them track it. If you insured it, it's trackable to a point. I'm sure it will show up. And it's not a hassle getting your insurance money from USPS, UPS it is. I got a coyote head mount last year in the mail, arrived with a broken neck and ears. I had my insurance money within 5 weeks of claim without any hassle. The funny thing was, I went back to the office after I got my money and asked if they still had the yote, and he said yes and gave it to me. I fixed it up and sold it on Ebay. If it's something they can recoup some money on they will, but a smashed yote head was of no value to them.

amy

This response submitted by hank on 2/28/05 at 12:41 PM. ( blueroadbucks2jamadots.com ) 12.34.47.12

Cecil is right ups will come and pick your package up, i also live in the bush 50+ mile's from the nearest pick-up center but the driver is nearby daily so he will pick-up any time.With the postal service he is also right raise hell,go to the postmaster of your regional location.

National Taxidermists Association

This response submitted by Cindy on 2/28/05 at 1:09 PM. ( Ntahq@aol.com ) 205.188.116.134

Yearly during the month of November, NTA Headquarters mails renewal notices. This year was no different with approximately 6000+ renewal notices being mailed bulk rate. By December, I had observed that renewals just weren't being received at headquarters like they usually are. I recalled that I had not received my own renewal notice (I always mail to myself in order to reference delivery time). Then the telephones, emails and notes began to flood in with hundreds of members wanting to know why they had not received their renewal.

NTA Headquarters and the board of directors, by advice of NTA counsel decided to modify the information we feature on the exterior of our renewal envelopes. No longer will we list the complete title National Taxidermists Association. We will use the abbreviation NTA. We will no longer position the art of deer hooves promoting our conventions. We will list the information but it will have a nonspecific look. We will be cautious to keep our envelopes as "vanilla) as possible. After this incident, we have become even more cognizant there are those that will stop at nothing to further their cause.

I heard that we aren't supposed to lose our head in the battle...or we won't have a place to put our helmet. Well, we didn't lose our heads. After conferring with the US Postmaster, NTA president and NTA counsel, it was determined to mail a postcard reminder. Now that we have been impacted in a small way by this issue...we must stay informed, we must become more serious about our profession. There are people and organizations (and you know who they are) that will stop at nothing to further their cause.

Things to check

This response submitted by Harry Paulson on 2/28/05 at 10:39 PM. ( Taxidermyschool@juno.com ) 4.242.48.51

Somethig similar happened on a finished fish shipment. This item didn't arrive for over 3 weeks.First address may be wromg. Second,post office on the other end may have not notified you customer of attenpt to deliver and it may be still at the post office because customer was never made aware of attempt to diliver.Your customer must check with there regular dilivery person and see if attempted dilivery was made, Things sometime get mixed up in the dilivery proess.However eventually it should be returmed ot you if can not be dilivered.
Good Luck

Outdoor Artistry Taxidermy

This response submitted by Glen on 3/1/05 at 12:36 PM. ( taximan@charter.net ) 68.191.59.75

I just had a problem with them,it cost about $18.00 to ship a deer head, then a small oversize extra cost.
I just shipped one to Illinois & now they want $99.00
Hopefully it is just a mistake,but, who know...
Their billing changes constantly.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu