PA test not happening in the spring!

Submitted by Lou on 2/28/05 at 1:47 PM. ( ljabellman@hotmail.com ) 207.199.2.34

Well, PGC told me today that because of budget cuts there won't be a Taxi test in the spring, and they're not sure if there will be one in the fall either! What the $%#^! You can't sell or do taxidermy for others until you get a permit and you can't get a permit until you take the test but now you can't even take the $#@%$#^^ test! Why can't they issue temporary permits so folks learning can sell their mounts to make some money to pay for supplies and such! Man, the PGC is sooooo screwed up right now! I didn't go to school, but I pitty all the poor saps that did. I think I may contact my representive about this law and what they can do to make it better. Like to hear if anyone else that's unhappy about this?

Even though I'm not happy with the PGC right now, I have to say the woman I spoke to was very very nice, she actually wanted to hear my bitching :) She said she likes to hear what everyone has to say.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Court

This response submitted by Jim on 2/28/05 at 2:05 PM. ( ) 24.154.31.73

Sounds like a case for lawyers,,Pa. state keeping you from making a living.,,get hold of Paul, he may be able to tell you what's up....

Ditto, Jim.

This response submitted by John C on 2/28/05 at 3:34 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Dont see how they can do that without voiding all the current licensed taxidermist. That should open the field up for everyone in PA.

So who does the testing taxidermist reprensting the PGC or the PGC?

Did Bantley not sit on the current board?

PTA Convention

This response submitted by Paul Czarnecki on 2/28/05 at 4:14 PM. ( ) 66.211.206.244

Lou the PTA is aware of the situation and is actively working on your behalf. If you are not a member I STRONGLY URGE you and any other future taxidermists to join the PTA and come to the convention in Altoona, March 9th-13th. At the General membership meeting we will have a discussion on what can be done to rectify the problem and we need your input.
"Budget problems" should not prevent an individual from doing business in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania!
See you at the convention!
www.pataxidermy.com

I am

This response submitted by Lou on 2/28/05 at 5:13 PM. ( ) 207.199.2.34

Thanks Paul, I'm a member and I will be there. Even though I don't agree with testing to get a license I figured it'd cost and be less painful if I'd just "go with the flow" but this just fuels my dislike for the testing.
You're right Paul, budgets shouldn't prevent someone from doing business in the Commonwealth, and neither should testing like this. I feel it should be optional not mandatory. Making it optional will allow people to charge more because they went through the testing. The only thing that I see the test accomplishing is increasing cash flow for the schools and throttling the market for existing PA taxidermist and taking more money from the PA sportsman because of cost occured by the PGC hosting the test.

BTW, I know the PTA is PRO-testing and it may seem silly for me to join since I'm against testing, but you're Association is the only one that can provide the information I need to pass the test and I'd like to meet fellow taxidermist in PA. That said, I'm looking forward to attending the PTA convention and maybe you guys can sway me on the testing thing :-)

No License

This response submitted by Jim on 2/28/05 at 5:31 PM. ( ) 24.154.31.73

If Pa. is no longing testing,,there should not be a way to enforce the laws on doing taxidermy in Pa.,,,kind of sounds like a monopoly of the current license holders,, just don't think that will hold up in court,, Didn't they get Bill Gates for something like that,,,I don't know, but just doesn't sound fair to everybody,,,Did all the good taxidermy guys have to be tested,,The bad ones will weed themselves out in 6 months,,If you have a mount to be done and you don't know or saw any of his work,I don't think you'll leave your prize there,,,,just some thoughts to think upon.....I'm talking about good taxidermy guys outside of pa.....being tested,,only the test of time...If your good,you'll past the test,,of time....

Something doesn't add up

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 2/28/05 at 6:53 PM. ( ) 70.110.178.161

The canidates taking the exam pay a fee. Those passing pay for the license. This is a money/income function for the commission.
And there is not much in overhead as the commission people are paid anyway,and no rental cost as they own the site. Why would anyone cancel something that brings in money and then say it was canceled due to budget shortage? But then why do we tag deer by cutting a slit in the ear?

True?

This response submitted by Joe on 2/28/05 at 7:15 PM. ( ) 64.139.80.84

Is this really true? I was hoping to take the test this year.

unbelievable

This response submitted by Croc on 2/28/05 at 7:50 PM. ( ) 166.102.116.123

isnt life in Pa grand. i've already failed the test twice, so i just returned from a trip to texas spent two weeks training with Cur, you all remember him dont ya? now i sent my money order out with my application 2 days ago and now i found out i cant even take the blessed test this april? this state is so messed up its absolutely no wonder that outlaw taxidermists outnumber licensed ones. well paul as you may or may not know i am a paid in full lifetime member of the pta so i will see you in march and see what becomes of this mess, see ya then, Croc

The only reason...

This response submitted by Craig on 2/28/05 at 8:55 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

the PA Game commission requires testing is to extort money from legitimate wage earners and taxpayers and gather information that aids them in investigations. I'm sure it also supports schooling and/or participation in convention competitions. I wonder how many taxidermists are hassled every year needlessly because they are on the list of licensed taxidermists? I bet there is something in the licensing that waives the law enforcement agencies from having to obtain warrants to search your homes and buildings. Why should you have to waive a right to operate a business that deals with nothing that is a threat to safety or National Security?

The PTA goes along with this because it is to their advantage in gaining both membership dues and participation in their org. To force people interested in performing taxidermy, as a true money-making profession, to have to go through testing for licensing is a place where government should butt out. The PTA should not be encouraging this government infringement but instead should be fighting to elliminate it. Like Jim stated earlier, the bad taxidermists will weed themselves out soon enough.

This mandatory testing requirement and the fact that the PGC now decides to cancel testing proves they care nothing about free enterprise, the rights and wishes of taxidermists or associations that supported this issue in the past, particularly the endorsement and calaboration of the PTA in the matter.

Maybe the state has decided there are enough licensed taxidermists in the state now that everyone is complaining about deer numbers on the decline.

I hear you but...

This response submitted by Lou on 2/28/05 at 10:06 PM. ( ) 64.78.67.122

What the heck can you do as average Joe? It would cost thousands just to fight this thing and even then I'm not sure I'll change anything or win. Kinda of a catch 22. Big money wins

This is...interesting...

This response submitted by Adam on 2/28/05 at 10:45 PM. ( amctaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 207.255.16.145

I sent my money in about a month ago, and now this? What the hell? How can the PGC cancel this test, and deny aspiring taxidermists the ability to pursure their chosen career? Where did all the money go from everyone who sent in for the exam? Are we getting refunds? What is going on here?

What is wrong with the PGC anymore? If this is going to be the case, then drop the test, have us send in our $100 for the permit, and be done with it.

I look forward to the show in Altoona and seeing what everyone's got to say there..

-A

Just call

This response submitted by Michael Sestak on 3/1/05 at 6:22 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

the main headquarters and complain, then call your state reps and do the same, then consult a lawyer and ask them about it.
the PGC once said that they wouldnt be repairing the rifle range here in erie county at state game lands 109 because they didnt have the money and that it would be closed until they did.
i wrote a letter and followed up with a phone call telling them that the money was available under the Pittman-Robertson (?) act (excise tax on sporting goods)
shortly after this the range was fixed.
now i dont think it was because of one person but rather a whole bunch of people fought this.
the same thing can happen here, heck you guys pay the fee for the exam, wheres the budget crunch.... call and ask them..

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu