Value of Taxidermy

Submitted by jeff on 4/2/05 at 3:06 PM. ( ) 142.165.116.57

Heres a question that I know will get several answers depending on location so I will try to narrow it down a bit. In the Canadian market (Alberta,BC,Sask,Man,Ontario) For all the one person taxidermist operations out there (no hired help) and a shop that runs full time for one person. With a combination of all types of taxidermy (birds,fish,shoulder mounts,life size ect) with a good combination of local hunters and non resident customers, what is you average income per year or what would your range in income be? If you can count on say $10 000 a year expenses (rent, power, heat, advetising, phone) what would your income be before taxes? Im trying to get a rough idea on income potential in an industry I would like to get into and I know not all numbers will be the same but I am currious how well some do. And since its a sensitive topic dont leave contact info. Thank you.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Jeff, that question won't ever have any answers

This response submitted by George on 4/2/05 at 3:23 PM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.195

If taxidermy was a simple commodity where the standard of excellence was universal, your question would be simple, but it's not. The talent of the taxidermist is instrumental in this scenario and you could spend a billion dollars a year, but if you had no talent, you'd make nothing. Same for novice, beginner, or veteran with varying levels of skill and expertise. The best advice you're going to get is that if you're getting into this for the money, don't quit your day job right quickly.

Welcome home Geo!

This response submitted by Jeff F. on 4/2/05 at 7:14 PM. ( NaturesTrophies@aol ) 152.163.100.135

Honesty at it's finest. And a very valid point to boot. BUT, in simple terms. Taxidermy is a lot like the automotive industry. Will your work and business practices bring the price and clientele of a Yugo or a Ferrari! Truth. Jeff F.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu