Some thoughts about Supply Companies & Van Dyke's

Submitted by Kim on 12/31/69 at 7:04 PM. ( ) 69.171.73.59

GeeeeeeeZ! What a mess! We spread the money around to many of the supply companies. We have had our share of problems over the years much like everyone else. We buy what works best for us and what fits the skin or cape we have. We, being taxidermist, make the adjustments to the forms as needed. So we really don't have a specific do-all supply company. However, yesterday we placed a combined two thousand dollar order with several supply companies. Van Dykes did not get any money this time, once again.
I was going to place an order with Van Dykes ($653.00) but, I inquired to their ship time and I was told three weeks. I do understand that when you got orders placing you that far behind, you must be doing something right because the orders are comming in.
I also dug a little deeper and since Cabela's bought them out, the stocking of forms (has been low) (and a few other problems)which are ready for shipment conflict with the quarterly taxes which must be paid on the stock in the bins, this will cause many supply companies to use JIT shipping (Just in time). Meaning they are making forms to order so the overall tax liability is low. Good business practice but does tend to P.O. many customers. I know we all should order our forms months ahead of time but, we also tie up our cash in supplies waiting to turn a profit. Kind of a no win situation.

Anyway, we shifted our order to other supply companies and paid more but most of our supplies will be shipped within three days. We will continue to order from VD's, just wish we could get a decent ship date.....But there are people standing in line to take your cash with forms ready to ship.......

Each day is different...good night

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

the last few times...

This response submitted by Bill on 4/2/05 at 8:50 AM. ( dish2ndnat@aol.com ) 207.200.116.130

...ive ordered lifesize forms from them, they had to be made first. Three weeks seems to be minimum. a company that size should have at least a couple of everything in stock at all times. as a rule im not crazy about their forms anyway, but sometimes i need that one lifesize form i cant find anywhere else. ive pretty much decided that if Van Dykes cant give me the service i need, then i will shop elsewhere. im not waiting 3 weeks for a form. thats as bad as sitting at your table in a restaurant waiting for your check to be delivered so you can leave. If they wont do business MY way, then i will just buy from someone who will.

That Is all well and good

This response submitted by Tenbears on 4/2/05 at 9:04 AM. ( ) 152.163.100.135

Kim, I am not trying to bust your but. But why is it so important to receive your order in a few days, of few weeks? I just do not understand. when I order Apoxie Sculpt I order 2 for each work station. And 3 extra. When the extras get down to 2 on the shelf I order 9 more. same with ear epoxy, Thread, Paste, and all the other basics. Rarely Do I mount anything within 2 months of it arriving in the shop. closer to a year. My orders are made Monthly. so the forms I order today. Will Not be used until next April. when I go to a convention. And a supplier has a great promotional. I order some of the more commonly requested poses and sizes for inventory. Some forms are standards. History shows we order an average of X amount of a certain form every year. So if a sale comes around. we take advantage of it. I realize not everyone has a vast amount of storage. But they should have. it just makes good business sense. Take care of the Pennies. and the dollars will take care of themselves

I hear you Tenbears,,,,

This response submitted by Kim on 4/2/05 at 11:43 AM. ( ) 69.171.73.59

Tenbears,

I hear what your saying. I covered that in my post. The big thing is, a business must "should" pay taxes on supplies that they have in storage....but, during the paperwork process, I don't tell or divulge too munch information to the man. After all, it's our money. I haven't seen too many tax people offer their hand or finger so we could give them 40% of the laceration we receive on our hands and fingers from time to time. I mean, fair is fair. Just been running out of time the last few seasons.

Also, did you notice the date on my post? 12-31-69. Interesting.....

Taxes...

This response submitted by Drew on 4/2/05 at 11:46 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.128

Kim, where did you get this notion that form inventory is taxable?

Every supply companies has its strengths and weaknesses.

Research: Great tools, large inventory, but huge difference in forms depending on who sculpted it. (IE: Lancaster vs. Frazier)

Van Dykes: Low prices on all items, low inventory. Small selection of forms.

Coombs: Awesome forms, small selection of tools, not a large selection of forms.

McKenzie: Great whitetails, large inventory, crappy western forms, turning into a monopoly by buying out the competition.

Tru-fitt: Great western forms, smaller company, no website.

So you have to choose what is important to you.

Drew, Of course.......

This response submitted by Kim on 4/2/05 at 5:33 PM. ( ) 69.171.73.59

Like I have said, covered all those bases in my original post!

Well hell yes you are suppose to pay taxes on your "supply", even if you don't sell it. You ever fill out a schedule C for the IRS?

Now, there are such things as "Creative Bookkeeping." Nice and legal....just a fact....

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu