Positive note on Van Dykes...

Submitted by Drew on 4/4/05 at 11:13 PM. ( dogcatcher223@yahoo.com ) 140.226.180.133

With all the Van Dykes bashing going on lately, time to give them some praise. I just mounted up a mulie on one of their Hi-Country mulie forms yesterday. WOW! Very easy to mount on, and most importantly, it actually looks like a mulie! I have tried Research, Lancaster, McKenzie, and Coombs and this is by far my favorite as far as the "the look" that it gives. They have really stepped their forms up in the right direction since the old days.

I know most of you here don't get a chance to mount a lot of western game, but you ought to give them a try if you do.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Ya But

This response submitted by Jim W on 4/5/05 at 3:51 AM. ( ) 24.113.81.77

their costomer service and general aditued STINKS

I dis agree

This response submitted by Elmer on 4/5/05 at 8:12 AM. ( Tops ) 64.12.116.134

I have had no problems with Van Dykes do I order from them all the time no, but when I do order the supplies get here and I have not had any problems but if you gotta have it here like the next day just plan on a week then plan accordingly. Business is business I use several suppliers not just one I know who ships the same day who ships the next day and who ships in a few days . It doesn't bother me I just plan it out.

No fault with Van Dykes

This response submitted by Jerry C on 4/5/05 at 8:28 AM. ( ) 69.168.105.130

I have ordered quite a bit from them over the years and I live in the East. They have never gone over 7 days for delivery. Plan ahead and order. I will say that the J Green forms do not fit eastern WT that well.

Running 3 weeks behind

This response submitted by Terri on 4/5/05 at 8:49 AM. ( thaken@chartermi.net ) 66.227.255.226

Van Dykes is running about 3 weeks behind on alot of their froms. I placed an order last week and this week and every form I ordered had to be poured. Maybe due to their spring sale?

I also use a few different suppliers. You can't always find a close measurement or the form from one supplier so you really have to order from a few of them.

I guess I have been spoiled by McKenzie. I get my order from them if two days. I have never had a back order on a form from them.

Here's what I was TOLD

This response submitted by George on 4/5/05 at 9:51 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 205.188.116.138

Van Dykes has become super busy of late and are running behind. The reasons given were that they are replacing much of their old (and outdated, I might add) line of mannikins with newer/better ones. Van Dyke forms are less expensive that some of the other companies and there's been a sudden demand on these forms that has put them behind.

I've used Van Dykes since 1958 and many products they sell simply aren't available anywhere else. Like Elmer, I know that there will be some delay in my getting the items so I plan ahead and order accordingly. Lately it seems that too many of you think that a lack of planning on your part should make an emergency for the suppliers. Maybe you'd better rethink that attitude.

My Two Cents

This response submitted by Grasshopper on 4/5/05 at 11:19 AM. ( ) 64.33.242.212

Good, bad, prepared, unprepared or otherwise, business is business as stated above. I went to Van Dykes on Saturday to buy a Jody Green Deer form. The one that fit my deer was not available so I settled for a slightly smaller one. No big deal a little extra time, but it mounted up fine. The hide just came in tanned and after I rehydrated it I got my meausrements. I was going to be in the area so I figured I would try my luck. I could have waited a couple weeks for them to make the form I wanted, but I figured I would just make some alterations and got the form they had. NO BIG DEAL

THE BIG DEAL to get to the point, if my shop or business or anything else I was in charge of was running behind by a couple of weeks, I would be doing everything possible to get caught up. That includes working overtime on weekends etc, etc. So to my surprise there were only about 10-15 vehicles there and it was obvious the production people were not working as on weekdays there are 200-300 vehicles in the parking lot.

Business is Business right? So you go to a restraunt on Friday night at 6:00 P.M. you called in you reservations and your table is waiting but a bus load on tour came in at 5:30. I sure as heck hope the MANAGEMENT has a plan to work through the mess. Because I don't want to wait and extra day or two before I eat. LOL People should be multi-tasking and working double hard and mangement should be making sure everyone is being taken care. Ahhhh! been there done that brings back bad images so I have to quit.

Business is Business right? What if you were a sculptor or supplier getting a check from Van Dykes based upon the number or products that you sell out of the catalog? Would you be a little torqued because people can't buy your products because they can't keep them in stock? I think I would be and having some serious communication with management over this problem. Just making my point about working overtime and harder that much more valid. Just another sign that Van Dykes is not dedicated to the taxidermists or the taxidermy industry and I think that is the whole problem that people are having with Van Dykes right now.

This is my opinion and I am not a business expert but man it is so basic. If business is that good then you can afford to pay for the overtime and maybe even give the hardest working employess a bigger pat on the back for a job well done BUD!

Grasshopper

Duuuuuuuuuuh

This response submitted by Wally on 4/5/05 at 11:35 AM. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.251.183.41

Ya know this one goes around and around

What kind of a dumbass waits till the week before they are doing the mount ?
Order ahead,ask IF they have it in stock,SHOP around with one of the other suppliers..They all have faults and I have seen all fail...

Dumbass, eh?

This response submitted by Bob Mead on 4/5/05 at 12:25 PM. ( meadtaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 63.162.143.21

Wally,
You are out of line.

I order a week or two ahaead of mount day as well. Apparently you have unlimited storage space for forms but I don't. Maybe you order a year's worth of forms at once...who knows, but that doesn't work for me.

Grasshopper's comments are spot on. I tried to order a couple of pedestals from Van Dyke's yesterday...know what they told me? They would be ready in May, maybe June! WTF? I'll get them from somebody else until Van Dyke's gets their sh*t together.

Bob Mead

Favorites by Van Dyke's?

This response submitted by .?. on 4/5/05 at 3:46 PM. ( ) 69.171.73.59

Bob,

Van Dyke's does not like you!

Hummmmmmmmm

This response submitted by Wally on 4/5/05 at 5:51 PM. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.251.183.64

Well there ya are bob!
It didnt take me long to figure out IF I dont want to have trouble recieveing things to order a minimum of a month ahead.In consideration of this I like to have my parts in the shop so IF I need or want to alter I'm not in a rush to complete a mount.
With the McKenzie buying up all they can Ole Van Dykes is still keeping base price down..So what if ya have to tune thier manikins a bit its called art....
Ya know Hopper is close.Actually Overtime cost is probaly why they dont.
All this makes me glad I work for myself.I usually put in 16 hour days but when I want that month off for bear,goosehunting,trapping or fishing Im GONE...

Forms guys...

This response submitted by Drew on 4/5/05 at 8:44 PM. ( ) 140.226.180.132

OK, I see I started a war, I guess the conclusion is...once you get your form, it is a great form to work with, LOL.

otay

This response submitted by JOHN on 4/5/05 at 9:39 PM. ( ) 152.163.100.134

When ever I order from Van Dykes it takes over nine days to get here! Now whats up with dat? I have tried WASCO and they sent it to the wrong address, but I think I will give them another chance. Although they still haven't sent out their catalog to me. But there are plenty more options out there. Boogity boogity boogity! lets go racin' boys!

WASCO

This response submitted by Drew on 4/6/05 at 12:25 AM. ( ) 140.226.180.220

Yeah, maybe I would order something from WASCO if they ever bothered to send me a catalog. I ordered a Calvin Farner elk mounting video from their website and the video was TeRrIbLe. It shook and vibrated the whole time, made me sick trying to watch it. Plus, the video was crap, didn't show too much and I really questioned some of the things he did in the video.

If you look

This response submitted by John M on 4/6/05 at 12:50 AM. ( ) 68.117.27.49

at this last weekends posts you can see how this was (see posts titled Van Dykes) beat to death. Van Dykes was very good to me and answered the questions I had about what used to be a 4 day wait for supplies to anywhere from the four days to sometimes 3 weeks ( I got 2 elk forms today that where ordered 10 days ago). If you have a question about it I would suggest calling customer service and asking them. It sounds like there were some unforseen wrenches (like another business being ran at the same time using the same space) tossed in the wheels and should be fixed this summer. I like the service I get from them and if I need to wait a while longer to get something in I always have something else I can be working on. Now, if I can just get back on their X-mas card list.

Yep

This response submitted by Wally on 4/6/05 at 11:36 AM. ( muthagoose@hotmail.com ) 216.251.183.99

Drew your right on about thier videos.The only one I bought for the school that was worth a chit was the Danny Owend flying rooster mount..I called them about returning the fish painting videos,at first they didnt want to take them back I got transefered to the painting expert and when he asked why I wasnt happy I simply told him that they were crap.They took them back.
WASCO is backasswards in thier intel intake..I tried to set up a account with them for the college and when they asked who I was they deleted my shops address in their files and put in the schools.Now how dumb is that?
McKenzie' they tell ya its in stock and on its way,not true.Students odered manikins and didnt see them for weeks after they were told"its in stock and will go out tommorow..I was dumb enough to have a item shipped 2nd day only to find out it came the same time as a normal shipment..
Research aint had to much trouble with them I will say its damn sweet they ask IF a 2nd would work in thier effort to save ya a $$$ on a manikin.Not to many companies ask.
Hide and Beak Ya know for a smaller company most could take a lesson from them.IF and I mean IF you have a problem with them they ship to replace asap. .
The one thing that they all have in common is they are run by HUMANS..Due to have faults...................
Even with all the problem Im not going to stop buying from any of them and I have to say it again IF you problems think ahead,dont think the world will run as you think.
Like they say on ,that 70's show "dont be a dumbass" LOL

It just doesn't make much sence to me......

This response submitted by Stirrer on 4/8/05 at 2:31 PM. ( ) 4.14.184.162

.......how a Taxidermy Supply Company can be run by 3 people with out ANY Taxidermy training/experience at all. Yes, actually running a company.
No names. Lets just call them "Dumb,Bumbett and Dumber".
The 3 are ina meeting at the end of the year,planing out what new products to put into the catalog for the new year.

(Dumb)-"Well Dumber, what new products should we put into the new catalog that would help the industry?"

(Dumber)-"I dont know. That question really upsets me. I think I'll go home and beat onthe wife. I hear 3 a charm"

(Dumb) "OK...Dumbett, What are your thoughts to this question?"

(Dumbett)"How the hell would I know? You're nothing more than a Male Schovenist to ask me such a question!"

(Dumbett) "Ok smarty pants,what products do YOU think sould go in there? All men a Pigs!"

(Dumb)"Ummm,Ummmm, I feel my face turning red. What the hell was this meeting about Bud?"

God help the new guys! ROFLMAO

Stirrer out

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu