Do you need to stop some of the popups?

Submitted by Just learn this last night on 4/7/05 at 11:45 AM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

Learned a neat trick last night. Some popups are not popups at all. They are activeX files. This type of file is ignored by all popup blockers. So to stop these follow these steps.
on our browser click tools.

Next click internet options.

next click security.

Now click CUSTOM LEVEL
(scary for those of us who dont know what we are doing.)

Look at the options, anything with activeX you need to disable.

Click "OK"

Now there it is pretty simple even for me and zero things poping up to make you mad.

I am sure someone has a reason for these being enabled but it stops most page hijacking also.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

Drawbacks

This response submitted by Coot on 4/7/05 at 2:07 PM. ( ) 63.149.216.42

You are correct in saying that disabling active x will help stop popups ...But some legit websites require active x to access . If you disable it all you wont be able to access these sites . My suggestion would be instead of shutting it entirely down click the "prompt"tab instead of the "disable" tab to give you the option of accessing that website or not . Its a bit extreme to me . Its like saying "I want to prevent car wrecks entirely , therefore I will quit driving" . Just my .02

popups

This response submitted by Bill Haynes on 4/7/05 at 4:20 PM. ( ) 66.216.217.11

If you are running Windows XP, go to the MS website and download service pack 2 (SP2) It includes a great popup blocker.
If not, go into Google, type in "Popup Manager" and download the free program. It works great, really small, and stays hidden while doing its stuff.

If you have XP, it's easier than that

This response submitted by George on 4/8/05 at 10:42 AM. ( georoof@aol.com ) 64.12.116.133

Click "Start". Then click "Control Panel". Choose "Internet Options" and then click "Privacy". At the bottom, simply click "BLOCK POP-UPS". Or you can go into your "Security" and click "Advanced" and choose your ActiveX file set up so as to prompt you on the signed ones and block the unsigned ones.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu