Ebay wake up

Submitted by Mister reserve on 4/7/05 at 12:26 PM. ( No email @bigbrotherebay.com ) 69.177.29.136

Just wanted to give a little insight to all that do sell on ebay. I did a little research today on skin mounted bass Sm/Lg mouths only I went back and looked at the last 30days of ENDED auctions and wrote down all the fish that sold and the price. Granted there were a few older mounts and some real nice mounts. Also I took note of a few fish that didn't sell and the price the started. I am sure not all fish listed were from taxidermist.
I found the highest skin mount bass sold for 137.50 and that was a pedistal mount the lowest sold for 20.50 and it looked like an ok mount. I also noted a 11lb bass only selling for 86.00 and the highest I found over all was a reproduction (not one of those garbage plastic ones) and it went for 180.00. Only skin mounts were counted.
Over all I found in the past 30 days appox 30 skin mounted bass sold
This is completed items NOT items still on.
I then added up and took the avarage price which came to $57.87
I then took the aveage lengeths which was around 20"- 21" give or take an inch
At 57.87 a fish at 21" thats $2.75 and inch and thats before all the fees that ebays applies
Now I'm not calling anyone a sell out, but we need to get what we deserve for our work I see some really nice fish on Now that are not getting what they should. I know alot of guys sell stuff they got stuck with or times are hard and you need the money.
I to have sold on that site and have a few auctions now with high reserves and know that they will not hit that.
And after reading about ebay and who they contrubute to I now am going to look into that and see how true and how much they do.
These auctions are taking away from all of us and we need to stop and get what our work is worth. Sure there are the older mounts and the bad stuff but I see some really good stuff not getting bids at all or going for $30 to $50
Now there are the crap fake plastic fish on there and the people putting them on are calling them the best replicas on there.
Ebay isn't for everyone and I really don't care of how you look at them personally I think they are way over rated put to many fees and a company that you can't email or call directly makes me wonder.
I do USE them to clean house every once in awhile and I have made a some good money from them, doesn't mean I have to like them. But after what I have been reading about them and have seen how things are going lately My auction days may be coming to an end.
I seen some guys making good cash there and more power to you but if you are getting pennies on the dollar for a mount, skin, or anything else you can only blame your self. But then again if you put a reserve ebay hits you with another fee.
Good luck all and George your up

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

ebay

This response submitted by mister r on 4/7/05 at 12:41 PM. ( ... ) 69.177.29.136

Mistake I only went back to auctions that ended 3-24 not 30 days

great points

This response submitted by mimes on 4/7/05 at 12:52 PM. ( ) 64.233.135.38

Very good points made Mr. Reserve. Personally i do not use ebay and have no plans. Especially after hearing about all the headaches and now their donations to animal right funds. But another thing, why in the world sell one of your quality skin mounts on there for even $100? Our time is worth alot more than that! I say push for the other auction sites and at least TRY to get them rolling.

Four Years Ago.......

This response submitted by Old Fart on 4/7/05 at 1:17 PM. ( ) 64.122.137.55

.....Before I got interested in really selling on Ebay, I had a half a dozen old fish mounts that I pulled out of a bait shop and replaced with good mounts. I was going to junk them, but my brother-in-law talked me into letting him put them on Ebay. At the time he was selling sports cards for good money. I did a little repair on the fins and glossed the fish and he sold them...I netted over $500 for fish that were going in the GARBAGE! The largest, a 40" northern sold for $185, MORE than I charged for fish when I mounted that fish almost 20 years before!

Would I mount fish for sale on Ebay today, Hell no! It's a good place to get rid of your junk mounts, that's certainly better than throwing them away and paying the garbage collector to haul them away.

I would have guessed that the selling prices were even lower than you stated. Although I check the taxidermy for sale on Ebay on a regular basis, I don't watch what it sells for. I'm looking for buys on things that can be of use to me. Anyone who doesn't is missing the boat.

Ebay...

This response submitted by tomdes on 4/7/05 at 2:14 PM. ( mapletax@twcny.rr.com ) 148.183.241.15

I've known eBay gives to the anti's for sometime now, but it's one of those things that I've overlooked. I tend not to donate/do business to any organization that has ties with the anti's. At work I don't donate to the United Way because of their ties with the anti's and hatred of the NRA(believe it or not), we have several other options through our P/R deductions and I donate to local outdoor organizations. But it's tough to give up eBay, they have too much exposure. I just picked up a nice roadkill gobbler with 1.5" spurs and a 10" beard. I prepared the tail like I'd do a customers and listed the tail, beard, spurs, I thought I'd get $30-35 for it, ended up at $70. It's crazy, like Old Fart said, it's a good place to unload unwanted junk..

I've Sold

This response submitted by Aquatic Artistry on 4/7/05 at 2:22 PM. ( ) 198.111.220.156

fish that went for good money, and fish that should've gone for much more than they did. All it takes is two people wanting the same item and then you're into the chips! Unfortunately, most of the people that are looking to buy on ebay, want just a super deal, so the price doesn't go up. Right, OLD FART? Then us taxidermists that can actually make a fish look nice and RIGHT, take a beating.

So true

This response submitted by duckfeathers on 4/7/05 at 2:40 PM. ( ) 70.110.154.239

I have not gotten around to selling anything on ebay yet. Ebay is ebay. Take it for what it is. BUT as for fish taxidermy (my first love) there is lot to be cried about. Speaking from my own experience I have done my share of quality fish mounts and I'll state that I never felt I made any money on them. To compare with deerheads I would have charge $20+ an inch. People in my area have always regarded fish mounting as of less value than other taxidermy. There is more potential in mounting fish than the rest of taxidermy combined. Feedback I hear from the customer base tells a sad tale.
"The replicas look too perfect"
"I'm afraid to keep a fish because of catch and release morality"
"The price is too high for a dust collector"
"It's not my real fish though"
"They never look alive like the other stuff"
"It's not big enough"
"I catch fish to eat them"
"It's my house not a seafood restaurant"
And so on. I could vent about this all day but I have to get back to a mallard skin.

That Confirms

This response submitted by Alex on 4/7/05 at 2:46 PM. ( ) 66.32.41.113

What I've always said, Ebay Sucks !

so true

This response submitted by tom s on 4/7/05 at 2:55 PM. ( ) 132.236.170.116

hey duckfeathers, my wife says some of those same things about me, dust collector, not big enough, replicas look too perect, haha.

my 2 cents

This response submitted by J on 4/7/05 at 3:05 PM. ( ) 207.14.76.69

I don't think ebay is "taking away from all of us"..I sell a few fish on there every month..fish i caught that wern't releasable (bleeders) I bring them home..make a pattern and skin right away..then I fillet and eat..don't see any reason to throw away a good skin so i mount them up when i have time..it pays my payment on my truck for something I'd throw away ..its a way to make a little extra money is all I have maybe $10 in a mount..so if it sells for 100..i made 90ish for a couple hours work..just my thoughts. ebays not going to dissapear..get used to it

stay away from ebay

This response submitted by wildlife-artist on 4/7/05 at 3:32 PM. ( ) 69.244.151.177

don't sell on there any more, that will show them!

good respones

This response submitted by Mister reserve on 4/7/05 at 3:56 PM. ( ... ) 69.177.29.136

I do sell my older junk also it's great to make a fast dollar on something you are gonna throw away.
It does seem more older fish sell better then newer and cold water fish sell better just my opinion. I also have seen Aquas auctions and his fish are very nice and I do believe he should get much more.
What pees me off is someone with 6000 feedbacks selling wholesale garbage claims his plastic fish is the best on ebay. I don't sell many fish on ebay but when I do I do say skin is better and if it is a repro I say repros are better.
I know ebay isn't going away and I really don't care.
I have a new mission now sell all my junk and as much as I can and with all the profits I make (every last penny) on Ebay I will use all of that money to book a hunting trip. So please bid on my auctions so I can go hunting. Thanks ebay for supporting my next hunting venture

I joke with my buddies..

This response submitted by tomdes on 4/7/05 at 4:45 PM. ( ) 24.58.211.158

and tell them to book a hunt to Canada for those monster whitetails, get yourself a 190 class buck (if you're lucky) and sell the rack on eBay for moocho money and put that towards next years trip, keep doing this every year, it will greatly reduce the hunting trip fees...

Geeze, Mister reserve,

This response submitted by Craig on 4/7/05 at 5:28 PM. ( ) 66.66.226.122

That ought to set some fire under those antis a$$es. Support ebay, you never know what the seller's money is used for! Sure glad you came back around, lol.

Just think of the posts that would not get typed, on this site alone, if everyone quit selling mounts on ebay.

Be Glad There is Ebay.......

This response submitted by William on 4/7/05 at 5:54 PM. ( ) 12.22.170.151

It is just another way for some people to move their work. For the most part the work offered on there is pretty much second rate and a lot of beginners use it to sell their stuff. There are exceptions to that though with a handful of quality taxidermist listing items on there. If you are selective about what sells and does not sell well then there is some money to be made. The fish mounts do not bring to good but items that are of good quality do bring well such as bobcats and lynx. Just ask the "Wildlife Artist" how he likes it! He beats his reserve price more times than not and by several $$$$$ ! Some people on here for some reason think EBAY should furnish this service for free or something ! I have no problem with EBAY if it was not for their window of opportunity then you would have to go back to putting your excess work in your yard sale or listing it in the local paper or some other low exposure way!

You all missed the Boat already

This response submitted by b on 4/8/05 at 3:18 AM. ( ) 64.12.116.134

Your way of thinking is exactly what will allow the antis to eventually get hunting, trapping and the harvesting of animals in any form outlawed.
So I make a few bucks on Ebay by selling Junk. Hey! I make Good money off Ebay. That Is the same as Saying I do not Vote because one vote will not make a difference. But I give some money to the campaign.
EVERY taxidermist need to stop supporting ANY organization, or business that supports in any way any organization that opposes anything that threatens the industry. They need to inform sportsman of their practices, and encourage them not to support the same businesses. That is the way the antis do it. and there IS strength in numbers. It nice for the older guys to say well I sell my junk. Sure what the heck you probably won't be around to see the day when our industry is closed down. Maybe I won't either. But you know what? I care about those that follow. If one taxidermist pays Ebay $10.00 a year in consignment fees. And 1000 taxidermist use Ebay that is $10,000.00 a year. now think about all the hunters, and fishermen that sell on Ebay. And all the hunters, fishermen, and taxidermist that buy from ebayers that may be in none of those categories. If you think about it Hunters, fishermen, and Taxidermist alone account for hundreds of thousands of dollars in the pocket of Ebay. Money they will use to support organization that seek to shut us down. I return to my original statement. RESOLVE they have it we do not. Most of us are not willing to accept any form of sacrifice. THAT is what will eventually lead to our demise.

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu