Old Taxidermist that survived the 20ss 30s 40s 50s 60s

Submitted by Alex on 4/7/05 at 2:36 PM. ( ) 66.32.41.113

TO THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle. We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no internet or internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them !

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little league had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS! You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

(Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!)

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu

You know the problem with todays kids?

This response submitted by I do on 4/7/05 at 4:05 PM. ( ) 70.178.74.104

They donot eat enough dirt, yes that is correct they do not eat enough dirt.

When I was a kid, we built dirt and gravel dams in the gutters of the streets.

We built forts by stacking pieces of wood.
We played Army, dirt clods were grenades.
We did not run in the house for a scratch it was a battle wound.
We road on top of bales of hay stacked in the pickup bed.
We stopped by the creek and jumped in to cool off between hay runs.
We did not pay any attention to taking a drink of water where it dropped out of a bluff.
We even drank from the stream, we did not need any canteen or fricken bottled water.
We drank after each other in the hay feild, Oh wait we worked in the hay.
We did not have chlorinated water or flouridated water, we still have most of our teeth.
We had fights in school, after school, before school, if we could not settle it that way, it did not get settled we repaeted the fight in a week or so.

We carried rifles and shotguns to school hanging in the back window of our trucks. Noone would have thought about shooting the other kid, hell that was being a coward or chicken.

When we got a licking in the fight we did not run to the teacher or principal. Hell we were to ashamed to do that or to much pride.
So we ate a little dirt then it did not hurt us now, did it?

We painted the fence or chicken house with lead based paint, cleaned the brush up with cancer causing mineral spirits.

We might even have siphoned some gas for Saturday night and swalled a mouthfull, we did not run to mommy and daddy, we got sick puked our guts out but never swalled anopther mouth full of LEADED FUEL!

Oh we soaped a few windows, thru some water balloon, hell even the teachers were in on it. We stole the bell from Senior hall, turned the clocks up and even changed a grade or two in the teachers grade book. we did not hack into a computer, we had team work.

But we ate a little dirt.

We had metal shop, can you imigine a kid building a shotgun in metal class for his project? Yea and got kudos from the school board and won state awards for doing so!

We were taught how to use the table saw, bandsaw, lathe, got our fingers into the sanding belt or disk, hung up with the drill press and hurt a finger, but it never happened again did it?

We learned how to wire a house, even the fuse box. Back in those days a few enterprising kids even bid on jobs of wiring houses.

I do look in amazement as I pass one, why it has never burned down!

We had a few bree parties, rode some horses that never should have been.

We even may have flushed a cherry bomb or M-80 down the drain in school, but noone was killed.

Some of us even rode our Enduro up three flights of stairs in the old Junior high and down again. it was well planned and well executed.

We may have dropped some water ballons from the third floor and smacked a teacher, but we got our butt busted and went on our way.

We did our detention and did our best to keep Mom and Dad from finding out, cause they would have beat our ass again when we got home.

There were a few Druggies in school, today those people are dead few made it past college but most never worked for their car or for money to go out Friday night with Gloria.

We ate dirt, drank dirt.

You know maybe todays kids need to eat some dirt!

Good Old Fashioned Gangrene or

This response submitted by times have changed on 4/7/05 at 6:39 PM. ( ) 128.241.42.215

or those new fangled Meth Resistant Staph Aureus & Flesh Eating Strep.

Todays Times..

This response submitted by BWS on 4/7/05 at 9:37 PM. ( brandontaxidermy@yahoo.com ) 148.63.182.79

As a member of generation "X" i only dream of those times...however here is the other side of the story as i see it: btw-these are very blanket statements, no personal offense intended.

Todays kids need to eat dirt? Well that may be possible if the former generations hadn't dumped all of the toxic chemicals into it making it hardly edible.

Drinking from a stream? You mean one without acid rain water and polluted run off! Todays times FORCE us to carry around bottled water.

Playing outside alone? Well, i wouldn't dare send my kids out there alone. Why? Because of the generation that has been mentioned's children may snatch them up and do them harm.

Lead paint. Well, no wonder the reports of cancer are outragous in that age group.

I would love to go back in time and live like that which was spoken above. The only thing i would do differently-i would pass it on to MY kids.

But in all seriousness, i really enjoyed the 2 posts. It is a shame to see the world in the shape it is today. I mean you can't even take your kids to Wal-Mart without fearing for their safety. It just irritates me that most people from that generation always blames todays problems on the people of today. If it was great back then, then turned out like crap for the next generation....then what does that say about the parenting skills being passed down?

Sheila Brandon

hey

This response submitted by paul on 4/9/05 at 8:38 AM. ( ) 68.83.60.41

when urban sprawl ruined my favorite creek to drink from, and moved my the most delicious dirt pile, i decided to find a new place to eat and drink! along with my snack places my favorite hunting and fishing stomps vanished also! when i finally realized i couldnt stop progress i just up and moved back in time to a place with less roof tops and yuppies, you only live once people! eat as much dirt as you can

SHEILA

This response submitted by ETCC on 4/11/05 at 12:26 AM. ( getrichkwik@webtv.net ) 209.240.205.62

Seems to me kiddo...that you were born with a bug up yer ass sweet-thang :-).

I'm from that grear era...glad tohave been born inthe time of the last innocense of this World...and great times they were,...even though there was poverty row...WW-2 to contend with.

Mom's back-yard Victory Garden kept us suppliedwith food...wore clothes 'Ma made' from hand-me-downs...no modem cheap fall-apart ctapo like you were brought up with.

TV?...hah...we had the BEST..."TV OF THE MIND'''called "Radio"...throllers and entertainment that you'd never believe.

And Movies?...the Black & White's are still Clasics because axctors were actors...noit the computer generation kill-as-many-bodies-as-you-can in living color...destroying the minds of the generation of children today....who mimick what they lear on TV...and go out and kill others for kicks...or because they don't like the way somebody said something to them.

My slingshot flung M-60's into the sky to explode that rattled the windows. Think of it...an M-80 Firectacker salute was the equivalent of a quarter stick of dynamite...wonder why I'm still alive today.

Heros were Gene Autry...Blackstone The Magician...Tarzan and Jane...Laurel & Hardy...Bob Hope...Superman...Batman & Robin...Greta Garbo...Jackie Gleason...The Bickerton's...hundreds of them on Radio-Screen-Stage.

Never shot my eye out with my Red Ryder Lever Action 1,000-Shot Bee-Bee Gun with leather saddle thing...not even when I shgot stick matches at the backyard steel clothesline pole Dad installed for Mom's regular Monday wasshing day chores.

Building a Crystal Radio Set and sitting on the roof with headphones to listen in to stations in far distances was a thrill kids will never know today.

1952 was when we finally got a TV set for Christmas...were three Stations on the air. The remote was...you get up off your ass to walk acrtoss the room and turn the stiff dial to change Channels...then jiggle the Rabbit Ears Antenna to try getting the picture in clearer amidst all the snow on the screen.

Then in middle of a program...picture fizzled and out it went. Dad pulled the set away from the wall...unscrewed the panel off the back...made a diagram of the location of all the tubes...marked each one and wire with masking tape...pulled out the tubes...and 'Junior' took them down to the corner drugstore to have them tested to replace the burned out ones.

Yup...them was the good ole daze :-).

Yep...again...we slept safely at night with the doors and windows open in the summer to cool the house down. When we went out there was no need to lock the doors. Most folk were decent people...no need to worry about neighbors or strangers robbing, rapiong and killing you or your kids.

Heck...we'd go out in the morning and Ma never worried because we came in just after it got dark outside. My Roadsmaster bicycle took me everywhere. I fixed the flats, repaired the chains and brakes for other kids who didn't know how...so we could continue riding together and having fun.

Laterr my Riadmaster acqyured a Whizzer Motoir and became a Whizzer Motor Bike...Whizzing across the road at fifty miles and hour...same with my next ride...Cushman Notor Scooter...opened up a whole new world for me...would take 30-mile rides for the fubn of feeling the breeze blowing against my face.

Gas was .25 cents a gallon...gas stations were few and far apart...had to drive all the way across town to find one.

Comic books were a dime apiece...collected hundreds of them...now all gone...worth a fortune these days...who knew?

Weekly 'Life' magazine brought tons of photos of happenings around the World...so did Collier's. Sold "Grit' weekly Farm-type subscriptions and seeds and canned 'salve' to make money for my Frankenstein Chemistry Lad.
Yes...I used Sulphuric-Nitric-Hydrochloric Acid continually...never got brned....made gun powder...flash paper..never blew up the house or anyone else. Even made my own Firecrackers from formulas in a Pyrotechnics book on how to manufacture fireworks.

So...you see, kiddo...you kissed a helluva good tide. I feel sorry for kids of today...no freedom at all...no space...confined to the boob-yube anbd nintendo teaching them how to be violent.

Heyt...where's the battery to my Time Machine...time to uncoover the DeLoreon...to go back to 'the good ole daze'.:-)

Love and peace to you all...

As Ever...
- ETCC

Return to The Taxidermy Industry Category Menu